Skip to main content
Topic: The Problem with Atheism (Read 204524 times)

Re: The Problem with Atheism

Reply #100
For those who despair of convincing atheists of God's existence, let God do the heavy lifting! If He won't, there must be a reason… No?

There's a mouthful and a third.

Y'all can wait for Godot as along as you live, but it finally comes down to something like...
VLADIMIR:
Together again at last! We'll have to celebrate this. But how? (He reflects.) Get up till I embrace you.
ESTRAGON:
(irritably). Not now, not now.
VLADIMIR:
(hurt, coldly). May one inquire where His Highness spent the night?
ESTRAGON:
In a ditch.
VLADIMIR:
(admiringly). A ditch! Where?
ESTRAGON:
(without gesture). Over there.
VLADIMIR:
And they didn't beat you?
ESTRAGON:
Beat me? Certainly they beat me.
When was the last time that an argument between a religionist and an atheist produced more light that heat.

Reply #101
You mean you struggle with the idea of immateriality? If it doesn't exist, then what is it you are struggling with? When you struggle with it, then it more likely exists rather than not. You wouldn't be struggling with something non-existent, right?

Most involved physicists hold that the photon is mass-less. We see them because they exist and because we have eyes. But your invisible friend, what about Him? Can't see'em, don't know when He enters or leaves the room. Can't definitively show a reasonable person how He interacts with the world.

Reply #102
Most involved physicists hold that the photon is mass-less.

I'm fairly sure we can safely read those words material and immaterial as physical and unphysical. Otherwise a physicist like Krauss could hardly be accused of being a materialist.

Reply #103

Most involved physicists hold that the photon is mass-less.

I'm fairly sure we can safely read those words material and immaterial as physical and unphysical. Otherwise a physicist like Krauss could hardly be accused of being a materialist.

Correct, Frenzie. Materialists these days call themselves physicalist and naturalist. Nutty synonyms. For me the most recognisable word is still materialist, meaning the believer in the primacy of matter. It's also historically the most prevalent (in philosophical literature). The other synonyms are relatively recent trend words, designed to obfuscate the fact that physicists have philosophical presuppositions, namely the tendency to believe in the primacy of matter.

Reply #104
Or: not to believe in the primacy of anything else.

Reply #105
The other synonyms are relatively recent trend words, designed to obfuscate the fact that physicists have philosophical presuppositions, namely the tendency to believe in the primacy of matter.

A physicist does not have to be a physicalist or a materialist. But surely describing physicists as people with a tendency to believe in the "primacy" of that which is physical is much closer to being accurate than speaking of matter. There was no matter until a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang.

Or: not to believe in the primacy of anything else.

It's a bit of a false dilemma, isn't it. Just wiggle and squeeze a bit and it'll all nicely fit into predefined categories. :P

Reply #106

But surely describing physicists as people with a tendency to believe in the "primacy" of that which is physical is much closer to being accurate than speaking of matter. There was no matter until a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang.
What do you make of the fact that Big Bang itself has been around only since fifties or sixties? This is what I mean by trend word. I am not disputing anything what you say about "physical", but refusal to acknowledge the normal common-sense meaning of the word "matter" is a bad sign. Random contextless re-definitions of common concepts won't help physicists nor anyone else.

Reply #107
What do you make of the fact that Big Bang itself has been around only since fifties or sixties? This is what I mean by trend word.

One would think a hypothesis from the 1930s would take relatively recent and theretofore unexplained observations into account. If it also successfully predicts observations that were made since, that improves its validity and usefulness.

I am not disputing anything what you say about "physical", but refusal to acknowledge the normal common-sense meaning of the word "matter" is a bad sign. Random contextless re-definitions of common concepts won't help physicists nor anyone else.

If something with mass and volume isn't the "normal" definition of matter, what is?

Reply #108
A physicist does not have to be a physicalist or a materialist. But surely describing physicists as people with a tendency to believe in the "primacy" of that which is physical is much closer to being accurate than speaking of matter. There was no matter until a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang.

Lots of supposition there, which is the hallmark of cosmologists and people like you and I guessing about the first moments of the Big Bang. There is even some question about the Big Band itself.

It's much like the old question of "How many angels can dance on the point of a needle?"

Reply #109
Hear, hear.

Reply #110

I am not disputing anything what you say about "physical", but refusal to acknowledge the normal common-sense meaning of the word "matter" is a bad sign. Random contextless re-definitions of common concepts won't help physicists nor anyone else.

If something with mass and volume isn't the "normal" definition of matter, what is?

Already just for the reasons of clarity I am all for proper definitions. In this case, the problem is your statement "There was no matter until a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang". Now it looks like you were saying there was no mass or volume until a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang.

Anyway, this is just a rhetorical point to show how definitions and philosophical presuppositions matter. In any science project (at least in the science I studied in the university), definitions are the very first thing to write up in the paper. Presuppositions (methodology, which is not just a list of models used, but reasons why this or that model has been chosen over some other) follow closely. Without these, there's no science.

To presuppose philosophical materialism in physics is "successful" because physics studies matter and this is all it does. ("If all you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.") Study anything else and materialism becomes highly problematic. For example psychology and sociology clearly call for a different presupposition. To assume primacy of physics is, for most purposes in our lives, out of place. Shouldn't this make one honestly question materialism/physicalism for a moment?

Reply #111
"If all you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail."

Eh eh :)
That's a really funny expression, never heard before.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #112
Already just for the reasons of clarity I am all for proper definitions. In this case, the problem is your statement "There was no matter until a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang". Now it looks like you were saying there was no mass or volume until a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang.

There are a few more facets to be considered. If you're speaking of a so-called common-sense definition of matter, I hardly think non-relativistic matter counts.

For example psychology and sociology clearly call for a different presupposition. To assume primacy of physics is, for most purposes in our lives, out of place. Shouldn't this make one honestly question materialism/physicalism for a moment?

It sounds like you're confusing different definitions of primacy. Heck, I don't even know what your obsession with primacy is all about. Energy probably came first, then matter, then at some point us. So what?

Reply #113

Heck, I don't even know what your obsession with primacy is all about. Energy probably came first, then matter, then at some point us. So what?
Well, then I have identified the problem with atheism correctly pages ago. The problem is "so what?" i.e. no interest in ultimate causes, no interest in the extent of one's own lack of knowledge.

Energy (this is just the same matter really, as matter and energy are mutually perfectly convertible in physics) came first as per Big Bang theory. But what is first beyond any theory? The answer as per atheism: So what?

Reply #114
The answer as per atheism: So what?

No, the answer is I don't know and you most certainly don't know either. It's not so what. The so what applies to my life in general. Imagine there is an ultimate cause, and that to presuppose such a thing is not just a meaningless combination of words. What difference does it make? To me, not particularly more or less than to discover that epigenetics plays a very important role in the heritability of traits. It's all extremely interesting, yet it doesn't affect my life at all.

You're the one who seems to have little interest in the extent of your own lack of knowledge. You just claim things willy-nilly, like that there is an ultimate cause, yet you accuse me of a lack of rigor. My rigor consists precisely of not pretending to know the answer when I don't, or that a question is meaningful just because I can ask it. My rigor consists of always trying to accept the facts for what they are rather than making the facts fit my preconceived notions. I refuse to repeat your mistakes. Something that exists independently outside your mind is the best working definition of reality I dare give. You accuse it of being fluid and malleable, which is a very intentional feature, not a bug.

A question that starts with a WH-word and ends in a question mark may look like a question, but there are presuppositions and implications at the core of the question that may not make sense at all. Why is there something rather than nothing? What is the ultimate cause? I think you need to demonstrate the necessity of why and what. Simply put, the universe is not an object inside the universe.

Reply #115

The answer as per atheism: So what?

No, the answer is I don't know and you most certainly don't know either.
I hope you acknowledge that this again yet another presupposition stemming from the world view you have and from inability to suppose anything further than this.

Imagine there is an ultimate cause, and that to presuppose such a thing is not just a meaningless combination of words. What difference does it make? To me, not particularly more or less than to discover that epigenetics plays a very important role in the heritability of traits. It's all extremely interesting, yet it doesn't affect my life at all.

Again, stemming from your world view, you presuppose that an ultimate cause is either just a meaningless combination of words or something irrelevant to life here and now. Wrong on both accounts. A properly identified ultimate cause tells you, for example, how to prioritise things in your life, what is important as opposed to merely interesting, what is less important and why. A properly identified ultimate cause directly points out the ultimate meaning of life and, in degrees, all lesser meanings also.

My rigor consists precisely of not pretending to know the answer when I don't, or that a question is meaningful just because I can ask it. My rigor consists of always trying to accept the facts for what they are rather than making the facts fit my preconceived notions.
Today I was able to identify at least this preconceived notion of yours: "If I don't know, then nobody else knows either. (At least ersi doesn't!)" Are the facts in your life in accordance with this notion?

I refuse to repeat your mistakes. Something that exists independently outside your mind is the best working definition of reality I dare give. You accuse it of being fluid and malleable, which is a very intentional feature, not a bug.
Besides other problems with this definition, the root philosophical issue here is that it came from your mind. The definition is not independent from your mind and thus, alas, it's unreal as per your own definition. So much for rigour.

As for my mistakes, feel free to point them out. I am very much into learning, even from you, and certainly from my own mistakes.

A question that starts with a WH-word and ends in a question mark may look like a question, but there are presuppositions and implications at the core of the question that may not make sense at all. Why is there something rather than nothing? What is the ultimate cause? I think you need to demonstrate the necessity of why and what. Simply put, the universe is not an object inside the universe.
Awesome. Congrats to you for this bit. Already earlier I was very close to get to the concept of subject (the logical opposite of object) which is directly relevant to what you say here, but I suspected you would denounce this as yet another meaningless word. In case you confirm that subject is a relevant concept now, I will proceed. But confirm it, please.

Reply #116
Quote from: Frans
But surely describing physicists as people with a tendency to believe in the "primacy" of that which is physical is much closer to being accurate than speaking of matter. There was no matter until a few hundred thousand years after the Big Bang.
There was.
There might have been no barionic matter or such, still matter existed.

Reply #117
Matter is such a contingency within the Universe which has mass regardless of any and all speed issues.
My definition of matter.

Reply #118
Simply put, the universe is not an object inside the universe.
Mathematically, it is.
I said on MyOpera that you'd forgotten the Set Theory.

Reply #119
To presuppose philosophical materialism in physics is "successful" because physics studies matter and this is all it does. ("If all you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.") Study anything else and materialism becomes highly problematic. For example psychology and sociology clearly call for a different presupposition. To assume primacy of physics is, for most purposes in our lives, out of place. Shouldn't this make one honestly question materialism/physicalism for a moment?
Wait a minute. Are you saying that psychology and sociology resort to "abstract entities" or "the immaterial" to make sense? I hope you are confusing them with philosophy and theology (and metaphysics and whatever). Social or human sciences (or whatever they are called in English) don't have anything in common with "the transcendent" - and, in fact, don't need it. Physicalism has been used here to refer to the physical reality (that is, how the Universe works and how it can be detected, measured, tested, etc.) and now it refers to what is material - concrete - against abstract things like mental concepts!? This shift of meanings leads to meaningless discussions, as we have already seen before.

Reply #121
Today I was able to identify at least this preconceived notion of yours: "If I don't know, then nobody else knows either. (At least ersi doesn't!)" Are the facts in your life in accordance with this notion?

If you do know, you're doing a pretty good job pretending you don't by creating straw men out of e.g. physicists. My "preconceived notion" remains the same as before: without a reality check such as science, you have no idea whether your logical constructions actually relate to reality. You might have overlooked something, whether it's a fact about nature or an illogical leap in your reasoning. The latter might be detectable through reason alone, but the former unfortunately is not.

Besides other problems with this definition, the root philosophical issue here is that it came from your mind. The definition is not independent from your mind and thus, alas, it's unreal as per your own definition. So much for rigour.

When I say a sky-scraper-sized pink elephant that concept is also real, yet somehow it doesn't refer to anything real. It's quite simple at the basics. Of course you could greatly complicate matters by speaking of e.g. simulacra and the hyperreal because nothing is ever quite that simple. Proposing that our universe is some sort of simulacrum goes back at least to Plato. One might counter-propose that such concepts as God are themselves baseless simulacra that conceal no truth at all—a point made in some form by Baudrillard himself, if I recall correctly.

As for my mistakes, feel free to point them out. I am very much into learning, even from you, and certainly from my own mistakes.

I've been repeatedly paraphrasing much the same thing about epistemology. You said, "I don't like unanswered questions. In the end, I have found no question unanswerable." This seems to exemplify what I mean when I say that an answer isn't necessarily better than none.

Awesome. Congrats to you for this bit. Already earlier I was very close to get to the concept of subject (the logical opposite of object) which is directly relevant to what you say here, but I suspected you would denounce this as yet another meaningless word. In case you confirm that subject is a relevant concept now, I will proceed. But confirm it, please.

Probably not. :P You sound rather Platonic and Cartesian in your outlooks, while I lean more in the direction of Spinoza's liberationism or the more recent enactivism. Although I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with the universe, unless you're proposing that the universe itself has some kind of Dasein.

Social or human sciences (or whatever they are called in English) don't have anything in common with "the transcendent" - and, in fact, don't need it.

+1

Reply #122

My definition of matter.
Frans was talking about the "normal" definition of matter. ::)
There is no normal definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter
Matter is a poorly defined term in science (see definitions below).
You may accuse me of shifting meanings, but if the alternative is to accept something poorly defined and elusive as the basis from which to derive everything else, then sorry, I prefer to stick with meanings - with relevant distinctions.

If you do know, you're doing a pretty good job pretending you don't by creating straw men out of e.g. physicists [....] You might have overlooked something, whether it's a fact about nature or an illogical leap in your reasoning.
Krauss is not my caricature, but of his own making. Or did you have something else in mind by straw men? What did I overlook? You keep accusing me randomly. I keep asking for examples, but none are forthcoming. I guess I will just disregard any such remarks from now on. Without proper examples, it's just hot air.

The latter [an illogical leap in reasoning] might be detectable through reason alone, but the former [a fact of nature] unfortunately is not.
Three questions:

- How did you arrive at this conclusion? (i.e. show that both halves of the statement have evidential support)
- What is a fact of nature? An example.
- If reason is ruled out, how do you detect facts of nature?

When I say a sky-scraper-sized pink elephant that concept is also real, yet somehow it doesn't refer to anything real. It's quite simple at the basics. Of course you could greatly complicate matters by speaking of e.g. simulacra and the hyperreal because nothing is ever quite that simple.
Which way is it? Simple or not? Make up your mind.

Proposing that our universe is some sort of simulacrum goes back at least to Plato. One might counter-propose that such concepts as God are themselves baseless simulacra that conceal no truth at all—a point made in some form by Baudrillard himself, if I recall correctly.

Plato had a good reason to propose this. Namely, the proposition is based on the distinction of appearance and reality. For example, there are cold things and warm things. Moreover, some things turn from cold to warm or vice versa. Different cold and warm things imply the existence of temperature. Temperature is the reality behind the superficial appearance of warm and cold things. Temperature is more important, because it's a general feature, a universal measure. No particular object or instance by itself shows anything about temperature. Only comparison between objects at different instances reveals the reality of temperature. The objects at different instances are an appearance revealing an underlying deeper reality. This is how Plato thought.

Baudrillard, on the other hand, as (mis)interpreted by you, would reason in the exact opposite way: The particular objects at isolated instances are the fundamental reality, whereas the concept of temperature is a baseless assumption without any truth and purpose to it. I will leave it to you to determine which reasoning makes better sense and which way science actually works.

You said, "I don't like unanswered questions. In the end, I have found no question unanswerable." This seems to exemplify what I mean when I say that an answer isn't necessarily better than none.
I have had my own phase of denialism, so I know somewhat what you mean here. Hopefully you understand me too: running away from answers won't make the answers non-existent.

[Concerning the concept of subject:] Probably not. :P You sound rather Platonic and Cartesian in your outlooks, while I lean more in the direction of Spinoza's liberationism or the more recent enactivism. Although I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with the universe, unless you're proposing that the universe itself has some kind of Dasein.
First, I have not detected any coherent philosophical system behind your statements. Ah, well, reading a bit about "enactivism" reveals why. In fact I shouldn't :)

Second, your statement was "Simply put, the universe is not an object inside the universe". The concept of subject has everything to do with it, because, logically, inasmuch as the universe cannot be considered an object, it must be considered the subject.

Empirically, the object is that which is observed, and the subject is that which observes. The subject itself cannot be observed, but it cannot be denied either. Insofar as observation occurs, the subject is a logical necessity. Metaphysically it's at least half of reality. The problem with atheism is to deny or forget the subject. It's a serious thing to overlook a half of metaphysical reality.

Reply #123

My definition of matter.
Frans was talking about the "normal" definition of matter. ::)
There is no normal definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter
Matter is a poorly defined term in science (see definitions below).
You may accuse me of shifting meanings, but if the alternative is to accept something poorly defined and elusive as the basis from which to derive everything else, then sorry, I prefer to stick with meanings - with relevant distinctions.

I was just kidding with Josh about the definition of matter. What you quoted above - about the definition of Matter - isn't in any way related to what I had said about shifting meanings, before. Please, read that again.