Skip to main content

Poll

FF 29 has landed. How do you carry on through this?

Didn't notice any change. FF forever!
[ 0 ] (0%)
Just live with it. No big deal. Just go to Customize and show/hide the toolbars you want, including menubar
[ 3 ] (37.5%)
I reinstall v.28/block the update from now on
[ 0 ] (0%)
I change to ESR
[ 2 ] (25%)
I migrate to Seamonkey
[ 1 ] (12.5%)
I have Chrome
[ 1 ] (12.5%)
I never upgraded from v.3
[ 0 ] (0%)
What is FF? I prefer :cheers:
[ 1 ] (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: How do you live with/without FF 29? (Read 14708 times)

Re: How do you live with/without FF 29?

Reply #25
Is it meant to provide extension authors with a happy sense of being useful?

I don't even expect anything to be part of the standard toolset anymore. Just a few hours ago I was looking for an extension to choose where to save my file, but apparently browser.download.useDownloadDir does the trick. In fact it's even available under the General tab in Preferences.

Reply #26
Yes, & there is a plethora of resources in about:config

Just type that into the address bar (as you know) & then answer the question appropriately.

Further interests for starters:

About:Config Entries

Editing Configuration

Hacking Firefox

The above information is dated, so it's relevance to FFx v29+ might not always be 100% accurate.....use with care......backup before you play

Reply #27
Sure there are plenty of resources in about:config when you put them (back) there by means of extensions.

And keep doing so ever more with every update.

Reply #28

Sure there are plenty of resources in about:config when you put them (back) there by means of extensions.

And keep doing so ever more with every update.

So, you agree then......they do exist....thank you

Them increasing as time goes on isn't a bad thing either.

JFYI....Just checked out v31 Portable......nothing shockingly new from 29 & 30 to speak of, & Australis is still not my cup of tea..that's why I'm back to v24.7.0 ESR Portable.

For those that wish to understand what the ESR is all about, please read this.

Here is the ESR TIMELINE diagram taken from that site:

Now, as of yet, contrary to the timeline (the way I read it--which might or might not not be absolutely correct), the site where I get my ESR Portable versions doesn't seem to be passing the Australis features onto it's portable versions?

FACT:
The FireFox Portable ESR v24.7.0 I've downloaded from the above site is not corrupted by Australis.........yet.

Reply #29
Does Firefox have some kind of reopen closed windows functionality?

Reply #30
Reopen closed windows as opposed to closed tabs? How about looking into history when you reopen the app?

And maybe there's some startup dialogue kind of extension :)

Ah, got it: Sessions! This is what you really need, right?

Reply #31
Reopen closed windows as opposed to closed tabs?

Ah no, perhaps I should've said closed pages. "Tabs" are stupid. :) But closed windows would be a pertinent question as well. Sessions are for when you've closed all application windows (the difference between Alt+F4 and Ctrl+q).

Edit: or maybe there's a way to make the history view faster. Meh, I wish those Qt5.2 fonts would become usable already so I could use Otter.

Edit 2: clarification, I have no idea what happened, but trying to start Opera today just results in it eating all of my RAM within seconds and having to kill it. Of course making a fresh profile and only sticking in what I need should be easy, but the browser is unfortunately starting to show its age. I've noticed that I've needed to resort to Fx more frequently lately.

Reply #32
Ah, got it: Sessions! This is what you really need, right?

Actually, I can't seem to figure out where sessions are anymore with the new Firefox interface, whether the default ones or the Tab Mix Plus sessions. O_o

You know what, never mind. Even though my Opera broke for no apparent reason, I'll just spend the few minutes needed to fix it up. The alternative is just unusable. I can't seem to find any of the features I know Firefox has (or had…).

Reply #34
Makes you feel old, doesn't it? :p

Reply #35
Mostly I just don't understand. :P

Reply #36
Take it from someone who knows ........understanding is usually     one of the first senses to go!!

Reply #37
That too, why on earth do they want to know how old you are?

Reply #38
And if they think it's important, why is it only important for people from age 7 through 24?

Reply #39
Old farts like us will never understand that :right:

Reply #40
ESR went Australis in Manjaro update last weekend. Now I have totally ridded myself from FF in all home machines.

Now that I have Seamonkey everywhere, Thunderbird looks like complete waste of space.

Reply #41
With the CTR extension (classic theme restorer) Australis isn't an issue. At least not for me.
That's how FF 32 looks with it:

BTW, Firefox ESR 31 looks the same.

Firefox ESR 24 (without Australis - actual v24.8.1) will reach EOL next month.

Edit: FirefoxESR 24 - EOL

Reply #42
I'm gravitating to the Pale Moon Browser from Moonchild Productions (AtTheMoment).

That's how I'm living with FireFox 29+.

FireFox lost me with the Australis GUI

Pale Moon just went to it's v25, so if you're liking the FireFox of Pre-v29 with a few 'new' twists, it might be something of interest.

Reply #44
The key word being "Gravitating" to, as opposed to "Switching" to

The overwhelming majority of my - can't live without -  favorites work fine, & the others will either be fixed or forgotten.

Reply #45
Tile Tabs is the extension pretty important for my work (or rather to the way I work). Sad that it's not available for Seamonkey. Maybe some little hack would make it work, but I am not in the mood to figure it out for now.

And Copy Link Text looks orphaned now. That's the way of extensions, looks like.

Reply #46
The last few updates of FF have been adding nothing to browsing, only removing options and disabling extensions. The reasonable conservative skin of FF is Palemoon. Happy new year, FF, but you are now uninstalled.