Skip to main content
Topic: Otter Tips and Tricks (Read 33743 times)

Re: Otter Tips and Tricks

Reply #25
I see some scripting here involved, is there a way for GUI
that progressbar gets "glued"/merged down onto toolbar where zoom control is ?

Reply #26

I see some scripting here involved, is there a way for GUI
that progressbar gets "glued"/merged down onto toolbar where zoom control is ?

In Opera this was possible in Appearance > Buttons > Status. The progressbar elements were listed there and could be dragged anywhere you wanted. Ideally Otter would implement the GUI, but as a minimum the progressbar elements should be placeable on the interface by means of a config file.

Reply #27

By "proper full screen" I mean that nothing should pop up.

Yes, you are right. Otter now works like FF and others with F11, old Opera was totally full screened. :)

Reply #28
Full Screen Mode is quite nicely solved in K-Meleon:

Preferences > K-Meleon Plugins > Full Screen
and there:
Enable Full Screen Display

In Full Screen Mode
(separate options)
hide toolbars, menu toolbar too
hide tab bar
hide status bar
hide task bar.

Reply #29
Hi!
I put the toolbar.json file in the profile folder. How can I change the size of searchbar ad titlebar? The searchbar is too short for me.
And then... something happened.
(the Narrator)

Reply #30

Hi!
I put the toolbar.json file in the profile folder. How can I change the size of searchbar ad titlebar? The searchbar is too short for me.

This file does not define the sizes of things. I would also like to know how to configure the sizes of things.

Reply #31

Hi!

This file does not define the sizes of things. I would also like to know how to configure the sizes of things.

Agree, this is what I liked in Opera, I changed the details, sizes of the buttons and so on, that helped a lot in a work.

Reply #32

Hi!

Agree, this is what I liked in Opera, I changed the details, sizes of the buttons and so on, that helped a lot in a work.

The sizes of toolbar elements should be possible to set in skin file or such.

As to menus and buttons, a few weeks ago we had macros which allowed some sort of serialisation and sequencing of actions, but now this has been taken away. In my opinion the default keyboard ini language should in itself allow serialisation and sequencing of actions, just like Opera did. Now I have no idea what will become of customisation of keybinds, buttons and menus.

Reply #33
Full Screen Mode is quite nicely solved in K-Meleon:

We will have something similar.

It's not possible yet, but it will be possible to be define them in that file.

@ersi, macros are being replaced by scriptlets, we have some delays (as usual...) but it should be available before next beta.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #34
This is not my invention.
I found a very useful comment here, about how to make the software portable. I don't know why but the original poster's comment was deleted (maybe he deleted his own comment) so I post the script again.
This is the script:

Code: [Select]
%~d0
cd %~dp0
set QT_PLUGIN_PATH=%~dp0
start otter-browser --portable

Copy in a text file, change the .txt extension to .bat, put in the browser's folder and run the file. Otter will push through and creates two folder in his "den": profile and cache. Anytime you want to use in portable mode, run the .bat file.
Have a good time  :D
(the Narrator)

Reply #35
@denes
Doesn't otter-browser --portable work as you expect?

Reply #36

@denes
Doesn't otter-browser --portable work as you expect?

Nope. I tried
start otter-browser --portable
otter-browser --portable

But neither work. You need to specify the location of Qt plugins.
(the Narrator)

Reply #37
Where's the option to set icon size and style per toolbar?
How can I set these?
(the Narrator)

Reply #38
@denes, there is no UI yet, you can set them manually in toolBars.json, using keys iconSize and iconStyle.
You can find possible values for the latter here:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/commit/034facbfc5304ca9652ac303ae0ab1c908251684

Reply #39
Otter has implemented some MDI features and I made accordingly a menu with the actions that work.

I'd like to see in that menu also a list of open windows (like Internal Windows List in Opera), but looks like this is not possible yet.

In the keybinds, I would like to be able to combine Maximize and Minimize under the same toggle and Cascade and Tile under another toggle, but this is not yet possible either.

Reply #40
Where's the option to create search engine?
Why was it removed?
EDIT: I found the solution. Created keyboard shortcut to Custom search... and it works now.
(the Narrator)

Reply #41
@denes, is appears that we have a regression in QtWebKit backend, I'll try to fix it for next weekly.

Update:
And now it's fixed:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/commit/66ba01f463a7a212a64772451f3549abb46b10f4

Reply #42
This code for Otter's tabbar adds an action to open the new tab specifically in QtWebEngine. (Note line # 9.)
	{
"actions": [
"MenuButtonWidget",
"TabBarWidget",
{
"identifier": "NewTabAction",
"parameters":
{
"webBackend": "qtwebengine"
}
},
"spacer",
"ClosedWindowsMenu"
],
"buttonStyle": "iconOnly",
"fullScreenVisibility": "hover",
"identifier": "TabBar",
"location": "top",
"normalVisibility": "visible",
"title": "Tab Bar"
}

Reply #43
Otter has been heavily reworked meanwhile and currently seems to lack an out-of-the-box keybind to toggle Panels on and off. In old Opera it was F4.Here's what I found workable with trial and error.

1. Open Otter
2. Go to Preferences > Advanced > Keyboard
3. Add > New
4. A row titled (Untitled) appears. Select it.
5. Press Edit
6. A dialogue appears to add a keybind. Add any keybind, for example
Copy address Ctrl+L
7. OK - the Edit dialogue goes away
8. In the Preferences dialogue - Apply and OK, and this dialogue goes away too.
9. Close Otter and open .config/otter/keyboard/custom.json. Its likely contents are
// Title: (Untitled)
// Description:
// Type: keyboard-profile
// Author:
// Version:

[
 {
 {
 "action": "CopyAddress",
 "shortcuts": [
 "Ctrl+L"
 ]
 }
 ],
 "context": "Generic"
 }
]
10. Replace this contents with the following

// Title: (Untitled)
// Description:
// Type: keyboard-profile
// Author:
// Version:

[
 {
 {
 "action": "CopyAddress",
 "Ctrl+L"
 ]
 },
 {
 "action": "ShowToolBar",
 "parameters": {
 "toolBar": "SideBar"
 },
 "F4"
 ]
 }
 ],
 "context": "Generic"
 }
]
11. If you want a sensible title for the custom keybinds to show up in Otter's Advanced Preferences, then replace "(Untitled)" in the first row with your preferred title.
12. Save and close.

The reasons why this is so convoluted to do at the moment:
- ShowToolBar action is not available in the list when editing through keyboard edit dialogue (well, not that I know of).
- Parameters show up in the keyboard edit dialogue, but cannot be added, removed, or edited.

@Emdek  If I am wrong on the above two points, would you please correct me? Thanks.

There's another useful action created meanwhile: True Detach. Its function is to detach a tab so that the resulting window has no toolbars, except intra-tab ones.[1] It is useful for example having detaching a website with video or audio playing and making a minimal window in the corner of the screen for it, while the interface of the browser window is conveniently minimal already to begin with. This used to be the normal function upon detaching in old Opera up to version 9.2 or so.

To get this action, edit .config/otter/keyboard/custom.json once more, adding the following code in there
 {
 "action": "DetachTab",
 "minimalInterface": true
 },
 "Ctrl+H"
 ]
 }
n case of a webpage tab, an intra-tab toolbar is Addressbar. If the Addressbar is switched off, it will of course remain invisible after True Detach. Hopefully you get the picture.

Reply #44
Otter has been heavily reworked meanwhile and currently seems to lack an out-of-the-box keybind to toggle Panels on and off. In old Opera it was F4.
Incorrect, it works fine with default configuration, most likely you are using customized Default profile that failed to migrate (AFAIR there were some initial issues, with files without basename).
Preferred way to extend defaults is to add separate profile containing just custom additions or overrides, in case of conflicts actions from profile on the top of the list should win over these defined in other profiles.

Reply #45
Incorrect, [F4 to toggle Sidebar] works fine with default configuration, most likely you are using customized Default profile that failed to migrate...
You are right, this must have been the case. However, (I think) I am experiencing a continued problem - I created the F4 keybind as described, and after a few browsing sessions (with restarts in between) the keybind vanished from my custom config and I had to create it again. I will bring this up if I can see any regularity in it. Right now it seems to be working nicely.

Preferred way to extend defaults is to add separate profile containing just custom additions or overrides, in case of conflicts actions from profile on the top of the list should win over these defined in other profiles.
Does this mean that when I create my custom config in the Keyboard Edit dialog, I will have to move my config above the Default config, and then I can expect my custom keybinds work even when the Default config says something else?

Reply #46
Does this mean that when I create my custom config in the Keyboard Edit dialog, I will have to move my config above the Default config, and then I can expect my custom keybinds work even when the Default config says something else?
More or less, feel free to experiment with it, and either go for new topic to discuss it or ask me on IRC, to keep this one cleaner.

Edit mouse gestures

Reply #47
As long as the mouse gestures edit dialog is not working, here's a way to add "clone tab" and "true detach" to mouse gestures.

1. With Otter closed, find default.json in mouse profile folder (.config/otter/mouse/ on Linux) and open it
2. Find the section
{
"context": "TabHandle",
"gestures": [
{
"action": "CloseTab",
"steps": [
"pressLeft+shift"
]
},
{
"pressMiddle"
]
}
]
},
3. Replace it with
{
{
"action": "CloneTab",
"pressLeft+shift"
]
},
{
},
"pressMiddle"
]
}
]
},
4. Open Otter and try out:
- Midclick on a tabbar item should detach the tab to a new toolbarless window
- Shift+click should clone the tab

Tip: How to reattach a toolbarless window.
- In the toolbarless window, right-click (in an area where there are no links) and select "Copy Address"
- In the main window, "Paste and go", by default bound to Ctrl+Shift+V keyboard shortcut
- Close the toolbarless window

Reply #48
Re above: I eventually settled on the following section:
	{
{
"pressMiddle"
]
},
{
"action": "CloneTab",
"pressLeft+shift"
]
},
{
},
"doubleClickLeft+shift"
]
}
]
},
- Midclick on the tabbar item closes the tab, as is the usual behaviour in most browsers
- Shift+click clones
- Shift+doubleclick detaches