Skip to main content
Topic: Otter 0.5.01 Released (Read 11231 times)

Otter 0.5.01 Released

0.5.01 (01.05.2014):
- added startup / crash recovery dialog;
- implemented "Reload Image" action;
- improved handling of bookmarklets;
- some other fixes and minor improvements.

https://github.com/Emdek/otter/blob/master/CHANGELOG

Re: Otter 0.5.01 Released

Reply #1
Windows build a little later?
Fortuna fortes juvat.

Reply #2
The files are supposed to show up here http://sourceforge.net/projects/otter-browser/files/ Right now there appears to be no binaries whatsoever.

I got my 0.5 from Arch user repositories, a fabulous wonderful source for software, literally a minute after release, but this only applies to Arch-compatible Linux users.

Reply #3
jasonliul, yeah...
It's available now.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #4
 :ko:
Fortuna fortes juvat.

Reply #5
When do you make javascript on/off option for site preferences and for global (Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Content > Enable JavaScript)?

Reply #6
Some little things from me too that make a big difference:

- Focus address field keyboard shortcut, where is it? Does it exist? It used to be F8 in Opera in some older version, Ctrl+L in Firefox
- Full screen (F11) is not really full screen like in Opera
- The duplicate address field (by default F2 in Opera) missing
- The tab previews persist on desktop when I switch away from the app

And one big thing: Cookie handling. To make a so-called home browser secure for me in terms of cookies, I at first switch off cookies altogether, and then gradually allow them in sites where I need to log in and stay logged in. Opera jibes well with this practice of mine, Seamonkey too. So should Otter. I see it's not fully implemented yet. I hope it's planned.

The good thing with this version is that it has not yet crashed on me with a dozen pages open. Which means I had no opportunity to discover the newly implemented startup dialogue spontaneously - I hope it's implemented this way, that it shows up after crash. I found the startup setting in about:config and I am quite pleased with it. Thanks for this one :)

Reply #7
Agreed, this is starting to look better and better.

Reply #8
Javascripts is basic method of virus infection. So disabling javascripts must be first thing implemented.

Reply #9
You can disable Javascript for the entire browser in about:config. Site preferences are planned, and I agree I can hardly wait for those. ;)

Reply #10

You can disable Javascript for the entire browser in about:config. Site preferences are planned, and I agree I can hardly wait for those. ;)
When I paste "about:config" (without quotes) in addres bar, I get Bookmarks Manager window.
But when I type "about:config", all is okey. Hm...
Thanks for config, I didn't know about it.

Reply #11
I can't confirm. Odd.

Reply #12
Yoohoo, I can report a crash!

I was downloading huge files from Sourceforge - two at the same time - and they both gradually slowed down to a halt. Then I pressed Stop button in the Transfers Manager and Otter crashed.

I restarted Otter, and there it was: Startup dialogue. I am very happy with this :)

Plus it looks like downloads can be resumed after such crash. Well done :up:

Reply #14
Wow, how odd. But I wasn't saying I don't believe you; just that something's different. Perhaps it's as simple as I'm not on Windows. :)

Reply #15
You did what Opera doesn't/can't/tooincompetentto in "mere" months! :o This is already infinitely closer to the original Opera than that thing they called one now. Thank you!

The lack of drop down arrow really bug me though. :p

Reply #17
Just when Qt 5.2 is showing up in distributions? :P

But was it Qt 5.3 that brought Blink already?

Reply #18
@ersi, all that stuff is planned, including mode when each cookie needs confirmation.
But whitelists and blacklists need the same storage as other site specific preferences, although there might be added some at least temporary solution, since it is also needed to get rid off SSL warnings.

@testnameC05, yes, that is odd issue, related to URL completer.

@cofffee, yeah, I'll try to add it before beta1 but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time. :-/
It's must have for me.

@jasonliul, yes, I got reports that QtWebKit improved in stability, at least under Linux, Flash issues for 32 bit seems to be gone. ;-)

@Frenzie, QtWebEngine won't be available before at least Qt 5.4 and probably it won't be as usable as QtWebKit yet - in terms of API.
But we could try to attract more developers to help too implement missing stuff, they will accept patches as long as they have good quality and are maintainable.

BTW, while Ubuntu 14.04 got Qt 5.2 they kept QtWebkit at 5.1.1 for some reason, so to get it running there I'll have to add compile time check that will disable unavailable features (media related actions), so Ubuntu and Debian should have separate deb packages.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.