Skip to main content
Topic: a major crush (Read 3768 times)

a major crush

now, i won't call this a Otter bug, but rather maybe how Otter handles JS

/spoiler ahead, "illegal" site in question

so the famous torrent site in this case, not for advertising purpose
but check what it does, they have imposed advert popup everytime you click on a link
then it counts down to what ? ... maybe 10 seconds, to "acknowledge" you clicked on it
and now you can click on any movie title... (during those 10 seconds)

then they re-enable this annoying advert re-direct again
-----

since im primary using Waterfox which is Gecko 52 based, this isn't issue
as browser just makes a pop-up window, and you can close it
BUT
Otter on other hand for some reason constantly reloads this ad-redirect link
thus freezes both primary and secondary tab/window, and your only choise is to force kill app
again, i write this not to complain on Otter, but rather that Emdek and who-ever also does the coding
checks what the F is going on there,

link is: http://rarbgmirror.xyz/torrents.php?category=movies

Re: a major crush

Reply #1
Are you using the latest version? Using an older version, I have no problem at all downloading a random .torrent file; and I'm not waiting 10 seconds or anything. I don't have the latest on this machine. I'll have to test tomorrow on another one.

By the way, what you've been experiencing is a crash. A crush is something entirely different (but something that may nevertheless be just as bad). ;)

Reply #2
Okay, so it turns out I can't reproduce this even using the latest version. I did see some weird flickering effect in the advertising tab, but I was able to close the tab right away with MMB. And all the rest went well. No freeze and no crash whatsoever.

If you frequently use that website though I suggest you disable JavaScript using custom Website Preferences. This makes it load much faster and without any annoying interruption.

Reply #3
its 09.99 rc 12

flickering yes, it indicates exactly that, but my tabs were choked hence the force kill

also where do you set this "per site" JS settings
i only find global one

Reply #4
Right click on the page, select "Website Preferences" and it's under the "Scripting" tab.
 :)

Reply #5
and otter crashed upon close haha
ok but it worked thanks

Reply #6
You may also want to use the F12 menu to enable/disable JavaScript on the fly, since the website has a CAPTCHA system that requires JavaScript.

Reply #7
I confirm, that sometimes I have flickering on that page too and then Otter is frozen (for some time), and then it rarely crashes.

Edit: shit, I had the same behaviour on Google, when I opened a link using mouse middle button...

Reply #8
@exley, @szyk 

Adding your specs (OS, Otter version, WebKit vs WebEngine and Qt version) will be useful. I use Otter quite a lot on Windows and FreeBSD, both the latest version and an older one and I didn't experience more than flickering on the aforementioned website and have never had any problem on Google and any of its related websites.

Reply #9
Linux Mint 18 64-bit, Otter RC 12, Webkit, Qt 5.10.0 - it happens very rarely and crash much rarer.

Reply #10
otter_flickering.mkv - example of flickering. Interesting thing is, that when it happens, then later middle click opens a link in new page, but not in background.

Reply #11

Adding your specs (OS, Otter version, WebKit vs WebEngine and Qt version) will be useful.

funnily our OS used to be under our avatar
now yo have to hold your mouse to see it

as for otter, i wrote the version, as the engine, whatever it is by default...

which btw i don't like, why does otter even include 2 types of engines ?
its just a mess how things are going, and even more complicated as
there is no straight-forward "to use just 1 thing"

Reply #12
funnily our OS used to be under our avatar
now yo have to hold your mouse to see it

as for otter, i wrote the version
I suggested that because this data is automatically detected by the forum software and can very well be inaccurate or outright false due to user-agent masking.

as the engine, whatever it is by default...
It's WebKit, unless you've downloaded the so-called qtwebengine version available in the experimental directory on SourceForge.

which btw i don't like, why does otter even include 2 types of engines ?
its just a mess how things are going,
Where you see a mess, others see freedom of choice - which is a tenet of free open-source software. Otter is actually a real gem for providing that choice. When choosing between these two you have to consider functionality, long-term support and potential privacy concerns.

and even more complicated as
there is no straight-forward "to use just 1 thing"
At any given time, either you're using one or the other. What's so complicated or confusing?

For Windows, the default is WebKit and there's a special version (mentioned above) for WebEngine because you don't have these installed on their own and it takes forever to compile such huge projects as browser engines.
On other operating systems like BSD or Linux, these are already installed in the form of libraries as part of bigger projects (Qt5) and switching between the two is just a matter of choosing from the Backends/Web option drop-down box in about:config.

Reply #13
nah, i just use what the oficial site provides via links
experimental ones just give more trouble :P