[ 12 ] (37.5%)
Android/GoogleOS
[ 7 ] (21.9%)
Blackberry
[ 0 ] (0%)
Other
[ 3 ] (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Topic: What is your OS? (operating system) (Read 29346 times)

Re: What is your OS? (operating system)

Reply #50

Most intergalactic spaceships that invade Earth are conveniently equipped with a RS232C socket for the hero to use when he hacks into the on-board computer with his laptop.
Yup, that way he can install a Windows virus....  :left: :right:

Reply #52
Let's see...

Edit: unknown OS and Safari?! :lol:
It's Haiku and WebPositive :right:

Reply #53
I'm currently checking out KDE Plasma 5. It feels somewhat slow on this 2010 Atom netbook, but it looks a lot more to my liking than the KDE4 iteration where I just couldn't get it to get out of my way like the Xfce-basic GTK2 theme. On the bad side, changing the icon theme doesn't seem to change the  completely colorless notification icons. And KWin keeps crashing, but that aside.

Reply #55
Ah no, I grabbed the latest Neon image to dd to a USB stick. I try to keep my actual installs relatively clean. Also, I don't believe it landed in the Debian repos yet.

Reply #56
Building xfce4 on Raspberry Pi because Why The Hell Not?! :left:
That should give me some motivation to add more graphics & acceleration support :right:

Reply #57
On my netbook KDE 4 under Mageia in live session barely ran, so I didn't bother. Netrunner Arch (a modified KDE desktop) ran better, but I still didn't go further than the live session. Is Plasma 5 supposed to be lighter? Or is it the way it's packaged in Neon?

On my netbook I have had a modified Xfce (Manjaro Netbook edition with no icons on desktop, DockbarX instead of Xfce taskbar, etc.) and Openbox installed. I have also considered PekWM. Best keep it light, so that work gets done, among other things.

Last weekend I tried out wattOS which is Debian with Openbox. Its default theme looks nice enough. The default terminal is urxvt with amazingly sane defaults. It was set so that I easily discovered on my own that it could paste from clipboard and primary separately. Some terminal-oriented people surely see the benefits of this. There are other things in wattOS that I consider lack of polish, such as that the terminal does what I call fake transparency,* but I found nothing serious to complain about.

* I.e. the transparent terminal displays the desktop background and it misses other windows that should be under the terminal. The same phenomenon sticks the eye in Mint Mate.

Reply #58
Building xfce4 on Raspberry Pi because Why The Hell Not?!  :left:

Because it'll take like a week? :lol:

On my netbook KDE 4 under Mageia in live session barely ran, so I didn't bother. Netrunner Arch (a modified KDE desktop) ran better, but I still didn't go further than the live session. Is Plasma 5 supposed to be lighter? Or is it the way it's packaged in Neon?

I never tried KDE on my netbook before, so I couldn't say if it ran any better or worse. Like I somewhat implied, based on the live session I'd consider it too slow and heavy for use on my netbook. The fan was also spinning up way too much for what little I was doing, which wouldn't be very good for battery life. I think it might've been more GPU than CPU-related, but I'm not entirely sure. There were some settings about performance which was set to "low GPU, very high CPU" which I tried to change but that resulted in a KWin crash. But then I don't think Neon is supposed to be stable.

On my netbook I have had a modified Xfce (Manjaro Netbook edition with no icons on desktop, DockbarX instead of Xfce taskbar, etc.) and Openbox installed. I have also considered PekWM. Best keep it light, so that work gets done, among other things.

I run stock Xubuntu with TLP. Despite what might seem like suggestions to the contrary, I like some things to Just Work™.

There are other things in wattOS that I consider lack of polish, such as that the terminal does what I call fake transparency,* but I found nothing serious to complain about.

You'd probably gain real transparency if you installed a compositor like Compton. I'm not quite sure what the advantages and disadvantages would be.

Reply #59

There are other things in wattOS that I consider lack of polish, such as that the terminal does what I call fake transparency,* but I found nothing serious to complain about.

You'd probably gain real transparency if you installed a compositor like Compton. I'm not quite sure what the advantages and disadvantages would be.

Looks like Manjaro Openbox that I have right now comes with Compton. Shouldn't a fancy desktop like Mint Mate have it too by default?

Update: Indeed there's no Compton in Mint Mate. However, mere installing it and rebooting doesn't fix the fake transparency.

Reply #60
In MATE you should just be able to enable compositing directly in Metacity (or whatever they've renamed it to). My mention of Compton was specifically for Openbox, which doesn't come with built-in compositing like Xfwm and Metacity. Although iirc in Metacity I could find no way to disable window shadows.

Incidentally, here are my Xfwm settings.

Edit: ah, here you go for "Marco".

Reply #61

In MATE you should just be able to enable compositing directly in Metacity (or whatever they've renamed it to). [...]

Edit: ah, here you go for "Marco".

Right, this turned out to be embarrassingly easy in Mate.

Reply #62
Let's see how this shows up ( NetBSD on an iBook G4 running Epiphany )
My AMD64 laptop died thanks to a cat and a cup of coffee, so I revived my old iBook G4. I used to like OSX back in the day but it's showing its age ( maximum supported version is 10.4.11 ) and the only modern browser is TenFourFox, which is alright but kinda slow.
On the NetBSD side of things - Firefox dropped PowerPC support years ago and I'm not sure the powerpc-specific bits in webkit were ever published.
Well, turns out getting firefox to even compile is more work than I can be arsed to invest, and a closer look at webkit shows that the only part that actually causes trouble is the Javascript JIT, which is unsupported on PowerPC, but apparently the stupid configure script doesn't know that and tries to build it anyway. Simple enough to fix, to my surprise since last time I tried webkit was rather crashy even on x86, if I could get it to build at all. Either way, both Midori and Epiphany seem to work so far and feel quite a bit faster than TenFourFox on OSX.
Also, here's some advice I could have used myself - when updating, for example xfce from some ancient version you may need to delete all config, cache and whatnot files the old version left in your home directory. Quite a few xfce4 components here crashed with the old files.

Edit: Chrome? On NetBSD? On PowerPC? :lol:

Reply #63
... and Midori, using exactly the same WebKit as Epiphany above ...

Edit: ... is also Chrome, but a different version? :insane:

Reply #64
Also, here's some advice I could have used myself - when updating, for example xfce from some ancient version you may need to delete all config, cache and whatnot files the old version left in your home directory. Quite a few xfce4 components here crashed with the old files.

I think upgrades should be alright as long as you don't skip versions. 4.6 -> 4.8 -> 4.10 rather than 4.6 -> 4.10 (of course, chances are it'd be simpler to handle migration of settings yourself than bothering to do all that…)

Reply #65
I'm not quite sure which version left the config files but it's been several years ago :right:

Edit: now Midori is "Mozilla compatible" - wtf?! :insane:

Reply #66

Building xfce4 on Raspberry Pi because Why The Hell Not?! :left:
That should give me some motivation to add more graphics & acceleration support :right:

This day we unpacked our Pi after a hiatus of about eighteen months. The scars from our previous efforts are healed. Back then we achieved a working media centre but never used it for anything. This time we will have access to a lot more literature and, I imagine, a larger pool of enthusiasts to answer  questions. I would like to make the leanest, smallest possible turnkey system for email and simple browsing and little else.

Reply #67
The most important aspect of the mod I installed is that it has started recording user agents since yesterday. But I don't want to spend my time fixing up some detection system, so I'll have to figure out what to do about that.

I looked into plugging in Emdek's detection system, which was fairly straightforward. However, I should've looked at the original source better. Apparently this mod only stores results and not the original user agent. I find that very odd, because e.g. regenerating the detected values after upgrading your detection mechanism or viewing the original UA string seem so self-evident that I missed this gross oversight. In any case, proper Otter detection is coming soon.

Reply #68

The most important aspect of the mod I installed is that it has started recording user agents since yesterday. But I don't want to spend my time fixing up some detection system, so I'll have to figure out what to do about that.

I looked into plugging in Emdek's detection system, which was fairly straightforward. However, I should've looked at the original source better. Apparently this mod only stores results and not the original user agent. I find that very odd, because e.g. regenerating the detected values after upgrading your detection mechanism or viewing the original UA string seem so self-evident that I missed this gross oversight. In any case, proper Otter detection is coming soon.

I half suspect that this would detect midori as well ( or at least that it would be trivial to add :right: )

Reply #69
It's active now. Some of the old stuff will appear broken, unfortunately.

Reply #70
:up:

Reply #71
In my work I generally spend hours and hours and hours using OS X. Industry standard it's expected. Occasionally using WIN to 'check it works' write an installer script, etc. (Virtual box comes in handy here).

At home we generally use Linux. Ubuntu/Crunchbang and Arch. (Currently)

Reply #72

In my work I generally spend hours and hours and hours using OS X. Industry standard it's expected.

What's the attraction with Macs? I haven't seen a single Mac user in real life. Literally. And no business is using Macs. I have seen 1 (one) iPhone user and a few iPod users, and that's the end of Apple's market here where I live.

There are a number of Apple shops in the country's capital though. I have paid them a visit about once a year and left my fingerprints on some of their things. That's pretty much my entire connection with Macs.

Somehow Apple's marketing works in America, but doesn't here. What could be the reason?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdIanqM_RZ8[/video]

Reply #73
What's the attraction with Macs? I haven't seen a single Mac user in real life. Literally. And no business is using Macs. I have seen 1 (one) iPhone user and a few iPod users, and that's the end of Apple's market here where I live.

They're good for certain graphics-related stuff, most software is much the same as Windows and Linux, and the hardware isn't bad.

Reply #74

They're good for certain graphics-related stuff, most software is much the same as Windows and Linux, and the hardware isn't bad.

Have you tried Macs personally at length for something serious, like actual work? What did you like? What made you to not stay?