Skip to main content

Poll

Poll

Beer?
[ 1 ] (33.3%)
Beer?
[ 2 ] (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Topic: Infrastructure (Read 64375 times)

Re: Infrastructure

Reply #225
Schematic metro lines are considered a major invention, made by a guy I don't remember the name, that realized that when using the subway people don't need to know the geographical location but only the stop's succesion. Therefore, a virtual diagram can be much more useful than a real map.
With such insight very complex maps could be turned into easy to interpretate straight lines.
It's the way I drew maps when I was four.

Reply #226
It's the way I drew maps when I was four.
If at four you were drawing maps instead an house wiht a sun above and a tree at the side, you're a very strange creature... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #229
Always been a bit of a railway fan myself and the Japanese situation very impressive. I have just spent some threeyears off and on building the 6 lines of Northern Ireland railways and a website on my rail sim. I have now crossed the Border into IrishRail all the way to Dublin (and 2 lines off it ) so the Belfast-Dublin Enterprises Expresses can be run too. Have even flown and got the ferry oer there from Glasgow to follow my hobby.

I digress......
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #230
Freeway intersection in Chongqing - China

Reply #231
Chinese are really good... they only need a couple street signs for all those roads...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #232
There are some green signs in the bottom right corner. They are misplaced, they should be there before the road separation, not after.

All in all, that structure is not really infra.

Reply #233
Amazing picture.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #235
Chinese are really very annoying people, worst than insects.
I wonder what they think about Europeans. The only thing I know is that they say we smell as butter.
We need a Chinese poster, oh yes...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #236
Here's one for @jax, although it might be a tad French. It speaks of a bridge between Crimea and Russia, as well as that enormous bridge tunnel thing the Chinese are building between Macao and Hong Kong.
A tad French it was. 

The politics of the Crimea bridge aside, a bridge makes good sense. Though by opting for a bridge, and not a bridge/tunnel link (like the Hong Kong-Macau/Zhuhai), the access to the Sea of Azov. In some ways reminiscent of the local Igelsta bridge, but here ships are constrained by depth and width as well.

The HK-M/Z link is in the finishing stage, though all the connecting infrastructure in Hong Kong isn't ready yet. 

In principle you could drive from Zhuhai to Hong Kong along the link road, pass the Boundary Crossing Facility island, continue straight on a short distance to Shekou (Shenzhen), It would be a strange thing to do though. You would pass two or three border controls, and change from right-hand drive to left-hand drive (Hong Kong is a good ex-British colony) and back to right-hand drive. 

And they are building a new link next to the Hong Kong-Macau/Zhuhai link, connecting Shenzhen (at the Bao'an airport) and Zhongshan. Should be ready about four years from now.

https://youtu.be/yuRKZZjI_tw

Now neither of these links are railroad links, so they are building a third one right next to the ShenZhong link, this one a tunnel all the way for the high-speed rail traffic, with a station at the airport. I haven't seen any firm date on this one, but should be ready at about the same time. 

Reply #238
You have my sympathies, central Södertälje is going through a piling process of their own, as they enlarge the sluice/lock of the Södertälje Canal. It's almost ending now, so we should get some more quiet soon.  (You came up with a French video, so this one's in Swedish)

https://youtu.be/Ids0xrAPQNo

Reply #239
Since I used to live there it's not loud. Just audible. ;)

Swedish is definitely easier to read than to listen to. Some words are 100% understandable (like installeren, or however you spell that in Swedish) while most is not. A slightly odd sensation.

Reply #241
Animal infrastructure
A 2 km viaduct between mountains with a high of thirty floors, costing around 150 million euros, was built in a highway in North Portugal because a family of wolfs could not be disturbed.

With that money one could lodge each wolf at a luxury hotel, eating fillet mignon everyday for the rest of their lives. It would be less expensive.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #246
In principle leading a transport tube through water should be a lot cheaper than digging it through rock. In practice it is not, at least not yet.

Reply #247
Recycling (of plastic) does not work. It never worked.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXRtNwUju5g[/video]

The mild suggestion for improvement in the video - consumer choice - will not work either. The radical suggestion - shut the whole thing down, in the video as well - might work. I think it might also work to ban and punish the production of plastics, unless the producers accept the waste they have produced - not outsource it, but take the waste in the same factories that produce the products.

Reply #248

Sure it did, when it was profitable. But changes in business processes, supply and demand can make something profitable unprofitable or something unprofitable profitable. A resource can become a waste product and a waste product a resource. Now, these calculation make little or no considerations of externalities, side effects of trade. If they did the outcome would be different.

It's a dynamic system, and some products like these plastics are on the wedge between resource and waste.

Reply #249

Sure it did, when it was profitable.
No it didn't, because no country figured out a workable system. Dumping Western junk in developing countries is trade colonialism - profitable only to the West who got too much profit on their hands already.