Skip to main content
Topic: Random horse (Read 24750 times)

Re: Random horse

Reply #50

Reply #51

It's a boy!
**passes out cigars**
:happy: Thinking about naming him Bosley.

Reply #52
Woohoo! Pics are broken?

Edit: loaded now

Reply #54
Is he a super hero?

Reminds me, I've got some catching up to do here... See if I can remember my imgur login.

Reply #55
See if I can remember my imgur login.
I found that Xfce Screenshooter can post to Imgur without requiring a login. Been using it ever since.

Reply #56
Yeah, but then you lose whatever sense of ownership you might've had. Often it doesn't matter, but sometimes it might. :)

Reply #57
I don't own those horses. And after uploading anything on the internet, why would anyone pretend they still own it?

Reply #58

So catching up...
After Bosley there's Daisy:

And Dixie (sleeping?):

Next there's Jax, the OP's namesake ( @jax ):

And a year later Chauncey:

Jax and Chauncey together... :zip: 

And more recently Daisy had her first, Patches. (Let my niece name it -  :lol: - sounds like a cat's name.:right:)

And about a month ago; Graci:

She is sleeping...

And lastly, a cheeky group shot.  :P

Dixie's front and center.

Reply #59
I counted ten horses... What do you do with so many horses? they don't seem to be working horses and I suppose you don't eat them.
Educative/decorative for the children? You sell them?

Anyway, they are fine animals, very American style.  :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #60
Those horses look edible, but might be purely decorative.

Reply #62
Anyway, they are fine animals, very American style.  :)
Thank you. Although if memory serves they're a Scottish breed.

They are glorified pets. I started with three, a male and two females. It's gotten out of hand in the last decade or so. Up to 14 at last count.

What to do with them has always been the question. Suggestions are things like: teach them to pull a cart, do pony rides, teach them special tricks and/or sell them. We taught one to bow for an apple and you have no idea how many times people have asked if I rent them for rides at parties. I'm not quite redneck enough to own a cart and tack for it - but that is one of the more adorable options. They all get lead broke; learn to follow on a lead and stand where you tie them for brushing/trimming hair and hooves . I don't actively try to saddle break them but some have picked it up better than others. Learning can be rough, they don't want to cooperate and learn stuff but they have to. So at times I have to wear them down a bit so they don't just fight me and thus figure out that what I need from them ain't so bad. The fastest way to get to them tired is a mock rodeo. Let them haul me up and down the corral rodeo-style a few times and suddenly listening to me isn't the worst thing. Chauncey is the only one so far to hack my method. As soon as I put a halter on him, he ragdolls. Not even gracefully - just suddenly he pretends he has no bones, lol. Equal measures cute and aggravating.

So basically - I have no idea what I'm doing with them. Sustainability is eventually going to be a problem. The field can only support so many, but that number is still pretty far off.

I've had plenty of other saddle and quarter horses over the years. None of which have been a problem for me to sell. Something about raising them from a baby makes it hard to let go.

Reply #63

Reply #64
Horse named Clancey. Turtle named Booger.

Reply #66
I have watched that from time to time, seeing several slow-moving trees, usually in company.

That post leads to a classification question: How horsey is a moose? Horses are odd-toed ungulates, like e..g. tapirs, while moose are even-toed like pigs, cows, and whales. Is this a horse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmeCaAwEtUI

Reply #67
 Not really random, but very topical to horsedom.

Origin of domestic horses finally established

This strategy paid off: although Eurasia was once populated by genetically distinct horse populations, a dramatic change had occurred between 2000 and 2200 BC. A genetic profile, previously confined to the Pontic steppes (North Caucasus)3, began to spread beyond its native region, replacing all the wild horse populations from the Atlantic to Mongolia within a few centuries.

This is quite fascinating because of the time and the place. The Kurgan hypothesis has been victorious the last couple decades, merging a Yamnaya culture (archeological findings), a language group (Indo-European), and genetic mapping into a fairly coherent picture. And domestication of horses (not yet horseriding, but wagons) has been the hypothesized driver that spread these Ukrainians (more or less) over wide parts of Eurasia.

And the place fits perfectly, but time not so much. 4200 ya is at least a millennium after the Proto-Indo-European speaking tribes started emigrating from Ukraine (or thereabout).

Now, all tame horses today can trace their roots back to these Caucasian horses, but they were not the first domesticated horses. The same team had earlier established that Botai horses, tamed more than 5500 ya, were not the ancestors of today's tame horses. But they were the ancestors of Przewalski's horses, previously assumed to be original wild horses, but that would be feral horses instead.

The research is EU funded by the slightly confusingly named Pegasus project (because of another Pegasus project)

Reply #69
I've been reading (parts of) the French Wikipedia article of the day now for two or possibly more years. There's an astonishing amount of horses among those.

Reply #70
I've been reading (parts of) the French Wikipedia article of the day now for two or possibly more years. There's an astonishing amount of horses among those.

You mean that there is a CNRS cabal behind both modern horse genealogy and French Wikipedia? I could well imagine that.

Reply #71
For a while there was a horse almost every day. If you look at the program right now, you can see that the Nivernais is up on November 7. They've reduced the frequency a bit.

At the top of the page you can browse the history. For example, here's September 2019.

Reply #72
The research is EU funded by the slightly confusingly named Pegasus project (because of another Pegasus project)
And another Pegasus project, my second love in the realm of email. The project seems to have recently re-enlivened http://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm

The absolute first email app I knew and loved was 'pine'.

Today's horse in French Wikipedia is fantastic and legendary, as they say,
Article labellisé du jour

Morvarc'h (en breton : « cheval de mer ») est un cheval fantastique du légendaire breton,...

Reply #73
Since you all are into Wikipedia horses, I checked to see if it was possible to constrain the wikipedia random generator to horses, and sure it is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Horses

Here is first catch