Skip to main content
Topic: Geography (and Radio) (Read 6318 times)

Geography (and Radio)

The 'radio' poll is here. If they delete that thread altogether, I'll start another one.

THIS thread will be about geography in general and its applications (including radio broadcasting issues).

RJ, I'm really can't fully, consciously apprehend the tininess of your Isle - I mean in comparison with, you know, Russia, huh?
Tuning in Sunshine 855 and having looked up where Ludlow is actuallyhttp://www.maphill.com/united-kingdom/england/west-midlands/shropshire-county/maps/physical-map/, I've also come across the Wiki article's lead about the place -- and what do you think I've got to realise?
Quote from: Wikipedia
...situated ...28 miles (45 km) south of Shrewsbury and 22 miles (35 km) north of Hereford.
, the two mentioned cities being the adm.centres of however neighbouring but still different counties, let alone the Wales thing. Another (the other) station of this net is situated in Hereford! So I tended to conclude they don't even need any powerful transmitters! :eyes:  Or if they use such, "vast" parts of Herefordshire can easily receive broadcast from both stations! And I've heard a - promo? - here that this Ludlow station broadcasts to quite a signifant area - considering the administrative geography.
So, this I understand (still not consciously enough) your concerns about Britain's possible overpopulation: you say "70 million"?

Re: Geography (and Radio)

Reply #2
I have been interviewed twice. Once on a private station and the second time for 15 minutes on BBCRadio. Was briefly on a television current affairs prog too. Have also been interviewd for a book on people of a particular background and filled a chapter a chapter in the eventual tome. Suppose means I wil be an automatic posterity person. Not bad for someone as shy and reticent as myself.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #3
I've been interviewed once.
They called it "helping with their enquiries".

Reply #4
I've been interviewed once. I have no idea if it was ever broadcast. (I kind of hope not.)

Reply #5
I've been interviewed once, and approached for an interview once. I doubt that either made the airwaves, bet the approach didn't.

The interview concerned a guy who lived a couple of houses from me. The night before, he had gotten drunk, then into a drag race (I found out about this later) and in the process of the drag race parked his girlfriend's Corvette under a Buick. By sliding the sports-car under the Buick. How he didn't die is anybody's guess, but reporters were on us like white on rice the next day.

The time I was approached, I was making a delivery in a Northern suburb. Some guy had gotten tired of living and offed himself in a lake that was in the subdivision. Reporters were asking anybody who had the breath of life in them if they knew the guy and why he might do this. I had no idea because I had only just arrived, so that ended that as far as the reporters were concerned.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #6
My interviews were especially on myself which added dimension to the matter.  :D

Reply #7
I was asked during my call to (off-air) BBC Somerset if I didn't mind giving a phone interview later. But no calls followed.

Reply #8
I was interviewed three times, but that was by the police following a robbery that I pulled off when I was about 12 years old. The purloined object was a Scripto mechanical pencil.

The officer who interviewed me couldn't believe that I came up with idea of hollowing out a book with a razor blade, inside which I put the pencil, pretty much like this, although I did a much neater job.

My father was unhappy. I never did it again.

Reply #9
Geography (and Radio)

Has turned about how much times insignificant, irrelevant people were interviewed by insignificant, irrelevant, interviewers.
The top of Anglo Saxon culture.

According the last threads, instead of irrelevant, they are "immaterial".
There's no patience for so much ignorance.
A matter of attitude.

Radio (UK)

Reply #10
Quote from: MediaUK
From RBR/TVBR. Posted 26 Apr 2014, 15:25
The UK radio industry will have to wait for digital switchover after communications minister Ed Vaizey said that much had to be done before broadcasters could contemplate following television into an all-digital future.
http://www.mediauk.com/radio/news/go/215043/uk-comm-minister-reveals-measures-to-expand-dab

Reply #11
The lack of a response from the BBC Josh tells you something.  :sing:

Reply #14
Well I have had my fifteen minutes of fame Josh. You will have no chance!  :lol:

Reply #18
Well, the ancient inhabitants named places "Isle of Man" and "Manhood". I'm wondering why there's not... or WHERE are "Land of Woman" & Co., huh?

Reply #20
Why do you want to know - confidence slipping?

Reply #21
I've been thinking I maybe should get more exposure to radio. It could have helped yesterday, if I'd heard some chatter I might have avoided a huge traffic stoppage on Interstate 65. By the time I found out about it I was in it, next exit 10 miles away.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #23

Well, the ancient inhabitants named places "Isle of Man" and "Manhood". I'm wondering why there's not... or WHERE are "Land of Woman" & Co., huh?

In this context, "man" probably means "mountain".