Skip to main content
Topic: A bit of guidance, please ?? (Read 1289 times)

A bit of guidance, please ??

I've stopped using m$ OSes with XP Pro SP2 as my last & either use it natively or in a VM under Ubuntu.

Have been checking in with the progress of Otter every so often for years & the most recent version runs very, very well, so:
My compliments to ALL the good & talented folks who have made it so good !!

A regular test I do is trying to open YT videos & the RC8 version will not do that, so I searched & found this info:
@Toltek, download this and unpack newer versions on top of it:
https://otter-browser.org/tmp/otter-browser-xp2.zip
(Source: https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=1659.msg76660#msg76660 )

Query: Is that the correct solution for this problem ATM ??

A peculiarity:
'Open in new tab' and 'Open in new background tab' both open that link in a foreground tab.

Is there any fix for this, please ??

I also searched for any info I might find about possible plugins and/or addons for Otter - but did not find any definitive info.

Is there any info or pointers that anyone may offer about those things ??

Thanks very much for any helpful replies.

Re: A bit of guidance, please ??

Reply #1
YouTube generally works fine in Linux, btw.

Query: Is that the correct solution for this problem ATM ??
I'm not sure, but since it'd only take a few seconds to test I'd say it can't hurt to try. ;)
A peculiarity:
'Open in new tab' and 'Open in new background tab' both open that link in a foreground tab.
That's weird, it doesn't do that for me. Could it be an XP bug, @Emdek ?

I also searched for any info I might find about possible plugins and/or addons for Otter - but did not find any definitive info.
I think add-ons are currently basically just userscripts but the speed of development surprises me all the time! :)

Reply #2
@smallhagrid, @Frenzie, that package is quite old, so if files weren't mixed or were mixed incorrectly (for example about dialog doesn't show proper version) then we might be facing some long gone issue.

@smallhagrid, to get extra codecs you should first unpack that build and unpack latest official release on top of it, overwriting most of the files.

Yeah, it would be a good idea to finally rebuild official package using OpenH264, but that takes time (customizing scripts and testing them), and now it would probably require pretty big update, since there were some incompatible changes in MXE scripts.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #3
Very Cool - thanks !!
That worked 100% - just watched several videos just fine.

One thing that is WAAAAY cool about Otter is the notes feature - so may times when I am browsing I want to make a note of something and in Otter it is always right there - ready to use.

Thanks for the helpful info Folks.