Skip to main content
Topic: The Awesomesauce of Chrome (Read 11247 times)

Re: The Awesome Arse of Chrome

Reply #25
Extensions like Vimium are fairly interesting.
In a private window, all Chromium extensions are disabled. IMHO, this makes the entire system of extensions irrelevant. I suspect that Mozilla makes the same decision at some point - disable all extensions in private window/mode. Maybe the current transition already implemented this? 

Re: The Awesomesauce of Chrome

Reply #26
In a private window, all Chromium extensions are disabled. IMHO, this makes the entire system of extensions irrelevant.
I don't use Chrome or any of its forks myself but AFAIK you have to enable extensions for private browsing in Chrome.
As soon as you do so, your extensions will be enabled in private mode as well.

Reply #27
In a private window, all Chromium extensions are disabled. IMHO, this makes the entire system of extensions irrelevant.
I don't use Chrome or any of its forks myself but AFAIK you have to enable extensions for private browsing in Chrome.
As soon as you do so, your extensions will be enabled in private mode as well.
I looked around and you're right. However,

Not all extensions can be enabled in Incognito mode. You will know which ones can and cannot when you view your list of extensions. Only those with the “Allow in Incognito” box are the ones that will work.

Reply #28
Chrome 69 is out. It's also 10 year anniversary for the thing.

Look at that, they are bringing square tabs back! Is it only an aesthetic deja vu or is there more? Yes, there is more.

Though not an exhaustive list of user-reported problems, we’ve read user reports indicating that Chrome downloads SWF files instead of playing them, notification blocking doesn’t work, problems exist with lags when scrolling with touchscreens, websites won’t load, and there are sync issues, crashes and freezes, problems with logging in, displaying of the wrong language, inability to save passwords, and crashing when opening bookmarks or tabs.
It's deja vu a la Internet Explorer: Grab market dominance and then halt development.

Reply #29
It's deja vu a la Internet Explorer: Grab market dominance and then halt development.
There was comment somewhere recently about Chrome using a lot of memory.

A presumably Chrome-affiliated person replied that's why Chrome is so fast.

I refrained from commenting.

Reply #30
Google's Proposed Changes to Chrome Could Weaken Ad Blockers

https://www.wired.com/story/googles-proposed-changes-chrome-could-weaken-ad-blockers/

I personally have noticed several signals lately that Google is actively developing its products, such as Android apps and Google websites, particularly Youtube, towards outright adware. My VPN Android app, something I pay for, said in an update that Google demanded that they remove their adblock feature. And Jon von Tetzchner also mentioned something about Google having turned evil (and that Vivaldi complied with it).

More of the same:
And, for nearly a decade, Google did in fact keep DoubleClick’s massive database of web-browsing records separate by default from the names and other personally identifiable information Google has collected from Gmail and its other login accounts.

But this summer, Google quietly erased that last privacy line in the sand – literally crossing out the lines in its privacy policy that promised to keep the two pots of data separate by default. In its place, Google substituted new language that says browsing habits “may be” combined with what the company learns from the use Gmail and other tools.

The change is enabled by default for new Google accounts. Existing users were prompted to opt-in to the change this summer.

Reply #31
Chrome deploys deep-linking tech in latest browser build despite privacy concerns • The Register
Google has implemented a browser capability in Chrome called ScrollToTextFragment that enables deep links to web documents, but it has done so despite unresolved privacy concerns and lack of support from other browser makers.
It comes with "Terms of Service" update.

Chrome is not a browser. It is a service. (Serving its master, of course.)

Reply #32
I proposed something similar for Opera in my time, but with a XPath(-lite) syntax. For my purpose (and I think many other purposes), the node tree was/is more useful than merely string-to-string.