Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in Eurasia? (Read 29582 times)

Re: What's Going on in Eurasia?

Reply #25
Eurasia getting more connected, Yemen crisis: China evacuates citizens and foreigners from Aden
Quote from: BBC
China's navy has evacuated 225 foreign nationals and almost 600 Chinese citizens from Yemen's southern port of Aden, amid fierce fighting there.
China says it is the first time its military has rescued foreign nationals from a danger zone.
Houthi rebels in the city have been fighting troops loyal to ousted Yemeni President, Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi.
On Friday, the rebels withdrew from the presidential palace, following Saudi-led air strikes.

Chinese naval frigates were carrying out anti-piracy patrols off the coast of Somalia when they were diverted to Yemen to evacuate people trapped by the fighting.
The evacuees were taken by naval frigates across the Red Sea to Djibouti, to take flights home.
The non-Chinese evacuees included 176 people from Pakistan, said Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying. There were smaller numbers from other countries, including Ethiopia, Singapore, the UK, Italy and Germany.

Reply #26
And note that those wonderful democrats the Saudis refused to allow a Russian plane to uplift their Consul staff to safety.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #27

the Saudis refused to allow a Russian plane to uplift their Consul staff to safety.

After bombing 'by mistake' the Russian consulate in Yemen.
Such 'mistakes' seem to be usual. Last time it was China's Belgrade embassy in Yugoslavia which get bombed by US-led NATO forces.

source

Reply #28
Yep, too true.

Reply #29
Mumbai attack suspect Lakhvi released on bail in Pakistan
Quote from: BBC

The suspected mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, has been released on bail from a Pakistani jail, officials say.
Jail officials in Rawalpindi said Mr Lakhvi was released on Friday morning.
India's Home Minister Rajnath Singh has called the release "unfortunate and disappointing", Indian media reports say.
Mr Lakhvi had been granted bail in December, but was kept in detention under public order legislation.
That detention was declared void by the High Court, which ordered his release.
Mr Lakhvi still faces trial - along with six other suspects - over the attacks, which left 166 people dead and damaged peace efforts between the two countries.

Reply #30
It is a banana republic type place and can see it from many who live here.  :irked:

Reply #31
In Korea, it would seem they stick cycling lanes in the middle of expressways. I'm not entirely sure what to think of it, but the combination of cover and solar power is something I've long wondered why it isn't being done more often. Admittedly, it's only in recent years that the cost of solar power dropped significantly.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuYsYLqjUtU[/video]

Reply #32
Sounds utterly daft to me . Hey jimbro you were there years ago so hope you were not responsible?

Reply #33
Bicycle is new to me. I have heard of/seen using the motorway middle for metro, train, or on viaduct BRT, monorail, high-speed rail. There are also too few bicycle bridges, like the one in Copenhagen, North-West Eurasia:

[video]https://youtu.be/FRX9C0J9XhE[/video]

Reply #34
I have heard of/seen using the motorway middle for metro, train, or on viaduct BRT, monorail, high-speed rail.

Which makes much more sense given how you don't have all (or as much) of the bothersome car noise and particles, although it seems much more usual to me for those to be on the side insofar as they line up.

Reply #35
I imagined this discussion at the planners/retrofitters:

—Our lawnmower man has retired, but I have a great idea, let's build a tram line there instead!
—But there is no space for a tram!
—There isn't? Nevermind, bicycle path then.

Reply #36
Bicycle is new to me.

Always suspected that you couldn't even ride a bicycle.
The one that can ride a bicycle never needs a map.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #37
In the line of what went on in Eurasia, it's a century since the breakup of the Ottoman empire and the 1915 genocides.

”They were all Christians and therefore had to die”

Quote from: SvD
100 years ago today a genocide was initiated in the disintegrating Ottoman Empire. Anders Q Björkman of the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet tells the story how his family was saved because of a small village that took to arms and defended itself.

The girl was 12 years old. On a spring day 1975 she started a bus journey together with parents and siblings: 1 550 kilometers, from their home town of Midyat in southeastern Turkey to the metropole Istanbul in the other end of the country. They spent one night in the bus and then slept the following night in Istanbul. From there by train, via West Germany, all the way to Stockholm, Sweden. For thousands of years their roots had been firmly grounded in the red soil of the region around Midyat. Now the family was to take root in another part of the world. Both the mother and the father had already found employment at the truck manufacturer Scania in Södertälje, just south of the Swedish capital Stockholm. They left their old lives as housewife and silversmith in their home country and overnight the family of nine persons became immigrants.

But that was 40 years ago.

Now we’re instead travelling in the opposite direction: from Stockholm to Midyat, situated in Turabdin, ”The mountain of God’s servants”, heartland for Christian Assyrians/Syriacs in southeastern Turkey.

The girl has grown up and has become the mother of my three daughters. We’re going back to her history, to the house she once lived in, to the churches of Midyat, to the 1 618 years old monastery Mor Gabriel outside the town. We visit the village of Hah where, according to the legend, The three wise men raised a monument in honor of Mary on their way from Bethlehem. Today there’s a church here, sometimes said to be the world’s oldest. By the river of Tigris we find Hasankeyf, a place where humans have been living for 12 000 years and that, alas, soon will disappear under water if a planned dam construction will actually be initiated. We travel to the town of Mardin, where we find the Zafaran monastery, older than Christianity – in its basement you’ll find remnants of a sun worshipping religion.
This several thousand years old cultural heritage is overwhelming, especially for our daughters who realize that this rich history is also theirs. Their grandfather – jiddo in Assyrian/Syriac – has passed away shortly before our trip and the need to understand their own background has begun to grow within them. Here in Turabdin my daughters’ Assyrian/Syriac history has a great depth. In Sweden it starts in the 1970s in public housing areas in the southern suburbs of Stockholm. In Mesopotamia between the rivers of Tigris and Euphrates it starts several thousands years ago. (Jiddo always preferred the word Syriac rather than Assyrian, and therefore I will use that denomination of the people from now on).

Most of all we are touched by the visit to the church in the little village of Ayn-Wardo. It is situated on a hill and the church stands like a little fortress on the top of the hill. We’re shown around by a young man who tells us what happened here 100 years ago, the summer of 1915, when Sayfo took place. Sayfo means The Sword and is the Syriac name for the genocide of Christians that occured in the Ottoman Empire during the first world war. In most villages and towns of Turabdin the Christian population were not able to defend themselves. They were not prepared and couldn't imagine that their neighbors would kill them and plunder their homes. So they didn’t have a chance when the killing started.

But in Ayn-Wardo the villagers planned for defense from within the church’s thick walls right from the start. To this place many from Midyat fled for their lives one night a 100 years ago.

Our guide gestures towards us and says:

”None of you would exist if the people of this village hadn’t taken to arms and defended themselves”.

And he points at me:

”None, except you”.

Reply #38
it is odd in a way that only selected atrocities get the front line. It has been said that the Turkish killing campaign took up to nearly one and a half million then there was Cambodia another 7 figure one.

Reply #39
it is odd in a way that only selected atrocities get the front line.
Are you still mad at the Vikings, for their depredations?
What Andrew Jackson (…no relation) did to the Sioux was unconscionable. (We'll ignore the Meso-American pre-Columbus antics…) What Great Britain (…hey, didn't that include Scotland?) did in India was pretty bad. Not to say other countries weren't as bad or worse.
(And we won't mention what the British -presumably, including the Scots- did to Ireland.)
Recently… Stalin, Hitler, Stalin again; Mao, Pol Pot. More recently (in much lesser numbers, because they're incompetents), various religious zealots — mostly, Islamic fundamentalists.

And of course there's the Jews! (Isn't this where "Aye!
There's the rub" for you? :) ) Six million, or perhaps less… Would you laugh it off, if it were only one million? I do believe you'd try!

What the Armenians want is — well, I don't know. But I'm pretty sure I know what the Kurds want.

Please consider: What the Ottoman Empire did to Christians and all non-Mohammedans, the Japanese did to whatever people they conquered… I'm sorry, if you find this an uncomfortable fact. But fact it is!
What you and I would call barbaric were commonplace and respected attitudes, for most of recorded history and for most historical "civilizations"…

What bothers me is your attitude.

Will you make your case, that Scots are an oppressed minority, already? :) Then, you can get in the queue for your "specialness" medals!
(You yourself could easily qualify for the Intellectual Special Olympics…)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #40
it is odd in a way that only selected atrocities get the front line.
BTW: You thought 50 years was significant. But 100 years isn't?
进行 ...

Reply #41
The Armenian/Greek/Assyrian genocides are generally considered the first "modern" genocides, but that puts an artificial line between modern and non-modern, and there is a similar line between genocides and other atrocities. "Genocide" is a legal term, even though it wasn't a century ago, and if I were a lawyer or politician I might have to be more circumspect of "organised mass killings having the hallmarks of and commonly referred to as genocide". 

But here my interest was in the atrocity itself, not the name nor the cause. The modernity was in the creation of the modern Turkish national state from the pre-modern Ottoman empire, but whether this is considered a nationalist atrocity, a religious one, a Turkish one, all of the above, and/or others, it merits attention.  Sure, that which happened in Europe (and later also North America) gets more of that than that which happened elsewhere, but it doesn't make what happened in Europe less substantial.  Neither does that it has reverberations to the European and American here and now.

Kim Kardashian calls on Obama to label Armenian massacre 'genocide'

Reply #42
Well now Oakdale we had the Armenian terror, Cambodia, Soviet massacres and that of the Jews. However the others get put into the pale  behind the Jews which could be thought as odd. But the Jews have a great involvement in the media, corporate world, etc so makes it easy for them. As for 6 million Jews done in that is rubbish. That figure was dished out in 1945 by a Red Army general who had no damn idea of figures whatsover. World Jewry used that 6 figure as far back as after WW1  and purely guess work. Even that terrible place Auschwitz has had the claimed numbers by the authorities reduced and reduced and very greatly.

We know Jews suffered but so too did the Armenians and Cambodians in 7 figures. In the USSR nearly 5 million starved to death around Ukraine a million died being forced to build canals, many more in their own terrible concentration camps so why do the Jews always get the priority? Do try using your brain properly while slumped in the chair or get out for a walk. You love to mouth off words rather than have a life as it no doubt makes you feel "good".

Reply #43
This little snippet of nighttime Asia is of a nation more wanting than most. This image of N. Korea says it all. Lordy, the Chinese have attempted to block the border to keep defectors out.

Reply #44
You love to mouth off words […]
RJ, you only know me from words on a forum! What senseless blather you make…
Go back to your telly, where your rants are better appreciated! :)
进行 ...

Reply #45
And how daft are you showing yourself to be Oakdale. Maybe I should add that only know me from the forum but then you are a Yank and think you are almost divinely inspired. Have made allowances for the system that brought you up boy so maybe you might even see my point!  :D

Reply #46
In one week a million Chinese travellers will arrive in Bangkok. Me, I'm getting out of here. A most auspicious year of the fire monkey to you all.

Reply #47
And how daft are you showing yourself to be Oakdale. Maybe I should add that only know me from the forum but then you are a Yank and think you are almost divinely inspired.

Got that, Rj. We're all divinely inspired. Used to be that Brits thought themselves ordained to rule, but now it's Rule America!
Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves:
Britons never will be slaves.
Rule, America! America, rule the waves:
Americans will never be slaves.

Reply #48
Unfortunately dear man, Americans are slaves and to the money barons where bits of democracy are used to fool people. It is an area that I am afraid to say many are fooled by and have an intellectual ignorance. Last night I watched a funny tv item where people in the street (America of course!) were asked if they would sign a petition of support. The sheet was to support Saunders for President and for him to get hold of Karl Marx to be the Vice-President candidate. What stunned were the people who agreed with such a move and would even sign the sheet. You have a problem jimbro.  :o :D

Reply #49
Unfortunately dear man, Americans are slaves and to the money barons where bits of democracy are used to fool people.

Where have I heard that over, and over, and over....

I live in a very nice residence, eat nice meals, dine out regularly, have a nice family. Some kind of slavery. My guess is that I'm doing at least as well as my Scottish friend.