Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in Eurafrica? (Read 24707 times)

Re: What's Going on in Eurafrica?

Reply #100
Basically, the colonial macroning of the EU biggies has gambled Africa away to Russia, probably for good.
This week, Niger’s military — the same one the EU pledged to train — took the country’s democratically elected president hostage and proclaimed it was now in charge. As the coup unfolded, the Kremlin-linked Wagner mercenary group was quick to take (dubious) credit for helping and Russian propagandists gladly spread the message widely.

For Europe, it’s a major setback. The Continent has lost significant sway in the region after similar military coups in nearby countries like Mali and Burkina Faso. Those events forced France, once a local colonial power, to pull out and shift its strategy. It will now have to do so again, alongside its EU allies.

Here's Prigozhin on the summit with African invitees in Russia two days ago. Apparently Wagner's focus is back in Africa https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66333403

Over the decades I have had to correct my perception on EU biggies. In 00's I used to think they were getting some things on geopolitics unfortunately wrong, but the principle of doing it, the diplomatic strategy, was correct. In 10's I have corrected it to: The EU has no spine and it gets nothing right, literally nothing, neither geopolitics, diplomacy, strategy, or tactics, as measured both by trends of progress and final results.

Prove me wrong.

Reply #101
French media is worried that France's colonial grip in Africa is slipping to Russia's gain. An enthusiast priest even made his church Russian Orthodox.
Les cheveux sculptés en deux tresses verticales, Elisabeth Valérienne Akékabou, fidèle de l’église, tempère : « La Russie est en Centrafrique depuis longtemps. Au lycée, ma seconde langue était le russe. Dans les années 1990, ils étaient moins présents à cause de la situation là-bas, mais les temps changent et les intérêts renaissent. Aujourd’hui, Wagner nous protège contre les rebelles. Tout ce qu’on veut, c’est vivre en paix. »
Russomania in Africa may not last long or run very deep, but I suspect Francomania will never return.

Reply #102
Dutch royal couple paid a visit to "listen and learn" in Slave Lodge in Cape Town, South Africa.

As they entered the two-story building with creaky floors, they were confronted by members of another royal house: a small group of leaders of the Khoi and the San, the Indigenous groups who were first displaced 350 years ago by Dutch colonists in what is today Cape Town.

[...]

The king struck an apologetic tone on his three-day visit to the country, but made no apology or restitution, instead stressing that he was there to listen and learn.

[...]

“We wanted them to compensate us with projects, like hospitals, education and especially our mines, which were taken away from us,” [Khoi San Princess Dondelaya Damons] told a television news channel.

The Dutch royals listened to their grievances, in keeping with their pledge to make this an educational tour. It included a trip to the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg and a visit to Freedom Park, an open-air museum in Pretoria, which traces South Africa’s history of oppression. They mingled with L.G.B.T. activists and inspected a green energy project. The couple also met with South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa.

Reply #103
I'm not sure to what extent the king can put things on the political agenda.

Reply #104
Indeed, probably he cannot do much. He is merely the king.