Skip to main content
Topic: The 'Old World''s History (Read 9649 times)

Re: The 'Old World''s History

Reply #25

That map is a little misleading as they likely had a series of colonies, rather than a continuous landmass. This map from the China thread is better.

Old-style colonies are not around that much anymore.

By the way, the current-day Maltese seem to be of significant Phoenician stock (by DNA, a load of caveats apply).

Reply #26
What are the colours?
Yellow seems to be about Poenicians, :right:? While the third (grey) seems to me reading "Google":lol:

Reply #27
Yes. But this picture is also used on English Wikipedia.

Reply #29
Red is Greek colonies (which this map really is about), yellow is Phoenician colonies and cities and gray is other cities. I don't think it is fully complete on the Phoenicians, and definitely not on others, but the map is pleasing (here in full size).

One of the gray cities, Rome, is soon going to have a significant role, or so I am told.

Reply #32
Where the Phoenicians came from?
Were they Africans or... Atlantisians?:hehe: :)

From cities in what today is Lebanon. Europa was a Phoenician princess abducted to Crete, according to Greek myth. The Greek alphabet comes from the Phoenician alphabet (the name Bible comes from the Phoenician city Byblos).

Reply #35
If they were history, then what about their predecessors in the region? I know there was Egypt. But as well as I learned, they didn't travel far.  And they're sorta on the edge of our territory - at least culturally - ???

Reply #36
And let's not forget about the other "end" -- India. Long ago - before those major ethnicity - the land was occupied by a different people -- who left both cultural heritage and elements of the further cultural basics. Right?
Who's an expert? I read Wiki. Not recently...

Reply #39
And going even further back in time, twice as far back as the above map of the Mediterranean:

Reply #40
Another time sequence, a little bit more recent.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e_AZ3j2LbY[/video]

Reply #41
The odd thing about how things look in that animation is how some of the periods without any activity probably represent the worst battles of the war.