Skip to main content
Topic: The 'Old World''s History (Read 9652 times)

The 'Old World''s History

Well, let me introduce you to the thread about The Past of and The Consequencies for the so-call "Old Word" (right term?) -- i.e. Europa, Asia Minor, North Africa (then - just Africa), and all the way by the Arabian Peninsula, across the Tigris & Euphrates, through the Iranian plateau - up to India where Alex the Macedonian ceased his incredible advance.
Important: Africa within its ethnic territories, the colonisation era and so such will(?) be covered separately, as well as the vast space East from Volga, and Tibet and to the East, as well as Australia with Oceania -- they experienced some prehistoric colonisation of sorts apart from the much more modern jailing enterprise. As well as Americas: they also had a much-much pre-historic course of inhabitation, developed cultures of their own long before being conquered by conquistadores & co.

For the starters,

...your map of Europe by 800 Ad is incorrect, Jax. Al-Andaluz is the part that is now located in Spain and had given origin to Andalucia. In Portugal was called Al-Gharb, therefore being today Algarve.  :)

Let's rock! :headbang:

Re: The 'Old World''s History

Reply #1
Seems like I may of read a book about this once.

Reply #2
The "Old World" resumes to Romans, Muslims and Catholicism.

All the rest is folklore and mercantilism. And pollution, smog and tuberculosis from industrial "revolution".
Not to speak about masses doing tourism, watch television and behave gayist. Poor old world women with such "males".
A matter of attitude.

Reply #3

Well, let me introduce you to the thread about The Past of and The Consequencies for the so-call "Old Word" (right term?) -- i.e. Europa, Asia Minor, North Africa (then - just Africa), and all the way by the Arabian Peninsula, across the Tigris & Euphrates, through the Iranian plateau - up to India where Alex the Macedonian ceased his incredible advance.
Important: Africa within its ethnic territories, the colonisation era and so such will(?) be covered separately, as well as the vast space East from Volga, and Tibet and to the East, as well as Australia with Oceania -- they experienced some prehistoric colonisation of sorts apart from the much more modern jailing enterprise. As well as Americas: they also had a much-much pre-historic course of inhabitation, developed cultures of their own long before being conquered by conquistadores & co.

For the starters,

...your map of Europe by 800 Ad is incorrect, Jax. Al-Andaluz is the part that is now located in Spain and had given origin to Andalucia. In Portugal was called Al-Gharb, therefore being today Algarve.  :)

Let's rock! :headbang:

It's actually supposed to be, "For starters," .   :)

#GrammarNazi'd

Reply #4
Thank you!  I really try to get it, but as I only met this one here on DnD (or a bit earlier on MyOpera but not likely) and its use is not regular...  Thank you.

Reply #5
Cheers.  :cheers:

Reply #6
The Old World? I'll give you the Old World. (The description you gave was not the old world, but the West.)

Reply #8
And to you too (though it must be afternoon over there).

Something a little more modern:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXiLMb-OFgY[/video]

Reply #9
It's not exactly World history. I was gonna say "it's on topic", but it rather looks like a "cherry-picking history".

Reply #10
You said "old world". 5000 years ago is reasonably old.

Conjectured spread of agriculture (with the DNA history of domesticated animals and plants a much better picture could be made, but this should do for now):

Reply #13
5000 years ago is reasonably old.

Conjectured spread of agriculture (with the DNA history of domesticated animals and plants a much better picture could be made, but this should do for now):
It is total bullshit in terms of anything.
Human acted long before 5ka(:lol:), but it's not our topic anyway. 

Reply #14
It is total bullshit in terms of anything.
Human acted long before 5ka( :lol: ), but it's not our topic anyway.

And people had telephones long before a 140ish years ago? :P

Reply #16
up to India where Alex the Macedonian ceased his incredible advance.

It was large for its time, and very large given the starting point, but it wasn't that large compared to other empires to come, basically the size of the Persian empire, and short-lived. Even so the consequences of this disruptive change shouldn't be underestimated.

Reply #17
Here's a highly Iranocentric timeline of empires that included Persian/Iranian territory.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ORmtZ2Go4[/video]

Reply #21
This is an Egyptian picture of Sea People.

They're not Phoenician. :D

Reply #22
Nah, I've read that the Sea People were some special guys and had probably been unaccounted for - as to who they were exactly etc. I just referred to the map - will you take a look at it once more?:)

Reply #23
That map is a little misleading as they likely had a series of colonies, rather than a continuous landmass. This map from the China thread is better.

Old-style colonies are not around that much anymore.

By the way, the current-day Maltese seem to be around 30% of Phoenician stock (DNA).