Skip to main content
Topic: The awesomesauce with Chimerica (Read 31024 times)

Re: The awesomesauce with Chimerica

Reply #25
Of course the world sees America as the top economy

Doubt it very much.

China is at the present moment reevaluating the criteria for calculating their GDP. The interesting part is that if they put some extra cents to the value of an hair cut and it's enough to turn them the biggest economy in the world.
USA lead in the hands of Chinese barbers...

As for the EU, hallucination got out of control, by including at their economic estimation the value of prostitution and drug traffic.
It's not possible to get lower in the subjection to the savage capitalism disrespecting all human and moral values.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #26
The Chinese are not reevaluating the size of their economy, that would in any case be to their slight disadvantage, economists and researchers outside the country have been looking at different metrics. In some of these the size of China's economy would already have bypassed the US economy, in others it might take another decade. The date of bypassing doesn't really matter, it is purely symbolic, like it doesn't really matter when the number of people living in cities was larger than the people living in the countryside. The world with 51% living in cities and 49% in the countryside, was mostly the same as the world with 49% in the the cities and 51% in the countryside.

The BRIC countries will not bypass the US, China and eventually India will, and that is only because these two countries are four times as large, and when the average Chinese (Indian) is quarter as rich as the average American, the total size of the economy is larger. Brazil is smaller and poorer. It shall not pass. Neither will Russia, or basically any other country this century.

The economists and researchers are trying to estimate the size of economies, not their morality. The black and gray economy is often not counted or underestimated, especially in countries with weak tax collection. Prostitutes and drug lords also spend money, and also contribute to inflation.

Reply #27
Well the sooner someone replaces America and the bullying dollar the better.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #29
From my Google Youtube recommendations:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B78PW-_ic_s[/video]

Not sure what to add to that, perhaps that culture transcends national boundaries.

Reply #31
From the notes of Bill Gates,
China Used More Concrete In 3 Years Than The U.S. Used In The Entire 20th Century

Quote from: Forbes
China produces and consumes about 60 percent of the world’s cement – the Three Gorges Dam alone required 16 million tonnes of it. To put China’s massive 21st century construction splurge and concrete consumption into perspective, Bill Gates made a mind blowing comparison.

According to his blog, between 2011 and 2013, China consumed 6.6 gigatons of concrete – that’s more than the U.S. used in the entire 20th century. Look at what the U.S. built between 1901 and 2000: all those skyscrapers, the Interstate, the Hoover Dam, the list goes on and on but all that concrete only amounted to 4.5 gigatons.

Reply #32
Impressive. I hope the concrete will last equally long.

Reply #33
Supposedly it is also a major source of China's carbon emission (traditional concrete production releases a lot of CO2), and may be a source of air pollution as well. I saw the estimate for Beijing that around 1/10 of the dust pollution would be construction dust. Just a couple years ago they started having regulations to reduce construction dust.

Reply #34
Incidentally the numbers given above would indicate concrete consumption of almost three Three Gorges Dam weekly every single week for the last three years, or about a Hoover Dam a day (using 16 megaton and 6.6 megaton of concrete respectively).

Reply #35
This American couldn't be happier to see a couple of decades of isolationism. Our involvement in the world since WWII has been destructive. Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan did nothing good for the country. US support for Israel?  :down: :no:

Reply #36
Speaking of China. From the Economist.

China’s poverty is, therefore, a matter of some contention and confusion. Indeed, China itself may not be as poor as its own official media seem to think. Xinhua reports incorrectly that China’s official poverty line is lower than the World Bank’s global standard of $1.25 a day. By that international standard, claims another state-backed newspaper, the country still has more than 200m poor people. In citing that depressing statistic, it echoes a speech in June by Li Keqiang, China’s premier, in which he said that “some 200 million Chinese still live below the poverty line by World Bank standards.”

Reply #37

This American couldn't be happier to see a couple of decades of isolationism. Our involvement in the world since WWII has been destructive. Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan did nothing good for the country. US support for Israel?  :down: :no:

Here's something I never understood about american politics and to a large degree, americans - it's almost always all or nothing. World police or isolationism. Spanish inquisition or no real airport security at all. Teabagger or commie bastard. With us or against us. No reaction or overreaction. Black or white, nothing in between.

Reply #38
Once it adapted to being a bit more distant the people would in time be cheered and things would get better locally as well as saving your nation a giant fortune to then spend internally. Put me in charge dear jimbro and you will be cheered you tremendously (and you wouldn't have to drink Irn Bru).

Reply #39

Here's something I never understood about american politics and to a large degree, americans - it's almost always all or nothing. World police or isolationism. Spanish inquisition or no real airport security at all. Teabagger or commie bastard. With us or against us. No reaction or overreaction. Black or white, nothing in between.

I've never been for the asinine international politics of post-wwII America, so I'm not one of the all in or all out crowd. As a matter of fact, we weren't even needed in WWII but for materials. Your Rooskie friends pretty much ate Hitler's crew for lunch.

FYI, Teabaggers are a tiny crew of malcontents.

Reply #40
I think my Russky pals would have to go one hell of a long way to catch up with US policy in the world since WW2. Constant harrowing of countries financially and militarily, surrounding them or doing them in is the US's way in front position and Russia can get no close to that terrible reputation so making an allowance for US policy sounds to the uninitiated reasonable when the facts tell you something else. When Russia gets over 400 bases all over the globe and spends half the world's military bill that will prove your point. It at present shows the flaw in such a stance.  :whistle:

Reply #41
Everybody here is a monkey face of one sort or another.

Reply #42
Suppose so but most would prefer to live on something rather than bananas.

Reply #43

Reply #44

May as well of picked Japanese. :D

Reply #45
I'll remember to refer to US English as Simplified English in the future.

An old idea of mine is to open a (Western) Chinese restaurant in China, as the cuisine in Chinese restaurants and restaurants in China are different, but you can recognise some of the dishes. YouTube came up with a much cheaper alternative: Chinese People Try Panda Express For The First Time

Panda Express presumably is an American chain serving Chinese, and the Chinese in question seem to be ABCs (American-born Chinese) or "bananas", and their Taiwanese parents and grandparents.

[video]https://youtu.be/Fo59LlkTDe4[/video]

Reply #46
Panda Express presumably is an American chain serving Chinese

It's called American-Chinese. I don't know the specifics (although I have eaten at a number of American Chinese restaurants), but I'm sure it's much like how Dutch-Chinese includes elements of Indonesian and French-Chinese elements of Vietnamese, plus some indigenous mutations. :P

And in any case, the thought of "Chinese" food is probably no more or less absurd than speaking of "European" food — although I suppose there are certain overlapping qualities like use of soy vs use of dairy.

Reply #47
Tall tale of two Asias: Former Australian leader: We're about to see a world with '2 Asias'

Quote from: Business Insider
We're about to see a very different world — one with "two Asias" — according to Australia's former prime minister.

In the next decade or so, China's economy is expected to surpass that of the US. (And, by some measures, it already has.)

However, even though China's increased defense spending will continue to close the gap, the US is expected remain the dominant regional and global military power.

Consequently, we will see the emergence of an "asymmetric world" in which China will become the dominant economic power, while the United States will remain the dominant military power, writes former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, in his summary report on "The Future of US-China Relations Under Xi Jinping."

The interesting thing here is that both military power and economic power inevitably lead to political power, which means that we'll see two political giants take center stage — especially in Asia, according to Rudd.

Reply #48
Well America can always thank China for not claiming the debt to allow it to militarily niggle China.....

Reply #49
One piece from this spring, Federal agents crackdown on 'birth tourism' in California

I liked the style of the US raid. Those expectant mothers can be so ferocious and fleet on feet.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BheQlPP-1gM[/video]