Skip to main content
Topic: Spurious Windows sound plays when using the mouse navigation buttons (Read 1496 times)

Spurious Windows sound plays when using the mouse navigation buttons

Something I've been meaning to ask about for ages.
When using Otter, every time I press the "Back" or "Forward" buttons on my mouse, Windows plays the "Exclamation" sound.
This does not happen with any other browser.
It doesn't happen if I use the UI buttons. The mouse buttons do what they should do, but why should they play a sound?
Any idea why that would be happening, as it is a bit annoying?!
I can't see any relevant settings.
I'm using the latest weekly #208, but the issue has always been there with Otter for as long as I can remember.
Thanks, Dave.
 :)

Re: Spurious Windows sound plays when using the mouse navigation buttons

Reply #1
@DaveH, there is no setting since there is no such feature. :-P
That sounds like some weird coincidence, perhaps it would be possible to debug it but I'm not sure if t would be feasible, most likely it would require using SDK and debugger on your side (unless it would be possible to reproduce it using virtual machine).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
Thanks Emdek, well that's very strange then!
As I said, Otter has always done this on my machine, and I kept thinking that one day the issue would just go away, but if there's no obvious cause for it it's obviously not something that can be just "fixed"!
I'm not sure under what circumstances the Windows "Exclamation" sound is played anyway.
I will have to investigate that to see if there is anything related to Otter that would be likely to trigger it.
I have many other browsers installed, IE, Firefox, Opera 12 and Opera 36, even the last Safari for Windows (!) and none of them do this.
 :)

Reply #3
Sorry I should have added this to this thread ages ago, and forgot about it!
The Windows sound when using the browser "back" button no longer happens now, and hasn't done for quite a few weeklies now.
I don't know whether this change was by accident or design, but I just thought I ought to mention that it isn't an issue any more!
 :up: