Skip to main content
Topic: (Pre) RC 4 release (01.01.2018) (Read 6155 times)

(Pre) RC 4 release (01.01.2018)

• added new default style for Start Page by Kamil Nęcek;
  • added interface allowing to manage list of hosts using customized website overrides;
  • several bug fixes and some optimizations.

Please note, we haven't entered feature freeze phase yet, so 1.0 will see some stuff, not just fixes and updates.
Next stop, RC 5, next month (1.0 was pushed back).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Re: (Pre) RC 4 release (01.01.2018)

Reply #1
Congratulations and happy new year, Michał!

Reply #2
Couldn't keep RC 3 release from crashing as soon as it was opened on Windows 7 Pro 64. Downloaded RC 4 release (01-01-2018) last night. Kick the tires around and went for a spin thinking this is sweet. Today, nothing big running in the background, Avast, Spybot, Start Menu X and Desktop Earth. Things slow to a crawl, looking at resource monitor, RC 4 sucked every bit of my resources up in about 15 min's of usage. RAM of 8 gig's leaving me 156 meg's. Opera 12.18 is bad for that, but not that bad. BTW: had 3 windows open in Otter. I hate freakin tabs.

Reply #3
@jim0214, which build?
Usually QtWebEngine is the one that eats everything it can.

Reply #4
To all Otter users and to all Otter developers- Happy New Year!

@Emdek
When will version 1.0 be released- rough deadline?

Reply #5
Emdak It was RC 4 from 1-1-18. Deleted RC 3 including in registry before doing install of RC 4. Wanted to get a good clean install as I could.

Reply #6
@smaragdus, current roadmap calls for March.

@jim0214, but which package was that? In case of Windows there are four different variants (QtWebKit 32 bit, 64 bit, one optimized for XP and one with QtWebEngine backend). :-P

Reply #7
Thanks a lot! Running very smoothly.

Due to not having entered feature freeze, I've got a huble request presuming it's not so much difficult to implement:
implemented ist a context menu to save any picture from a web site to somewhere by a saving-dialog box.
  -->asking now for the additional possibility to drag a pic out of a website to save it right where you drop it.

Reply #8
@ElJot, any image or every image? Please elaborate some more.
Dragging images to file manager works fine under Linux, maybe QtWebKit needs some extra work to satisfy Windows.

Reply #9
@Emdek: Concerning picture handling: Mean a single picture of usual type that's shown on a webpage as graphical element (one can already move pic under Windows - just the call of the file manager whilest dropping seems to be missing).
Didn't have the opportunity to test Otter under Linux yet. Seems exactly to be what I missed that you described. Simply would be nice to have under Win too. Thanx so much again, simply great!

Reply #10
@ElJot, yeah, it seems that there is indeed issue with drag and drop under Windows (or even all platforms, but X11 handles remote URLs better), it needs to be fixed in QtWebKit, so we will ave to wait for a fix.
I'm still not sure about that other request, is it missing or not (I'm a bit busy today and it's is a bit hard to focus on single topic)? :-D

Reply #11
Emdek Sorry about that. It was for windows 7 or better win64-0.9.93-weekly204-setup. Hope that helps!

Reply #12
@jim0214, it will require some more testing.
Was that a big session (how many tabs)?
It would be a good idea to determine which page is responsible for that, since most likely it's some sort of JS issue, then we could determine if it is some known issue of WebKit, perhaps there is some fix available.

Reply #13
@jim0214, it will require some more testing.
Was that a big session (how many tabs)?
It would be a good idea to determine which page is responsible for that, since most likely it's some sort of JS issue, then we could determine if it is some known issue of WebKit, perhaps there is some fix available.

Emdek sorry I've away for a while. Since that one instance, it's not happen again. After thinking about it, I think were right about JS issue. I had three windows open, not tabs, don't use them. Two of the pages were heavy use on JS. Like Walmart  and Bing image finder. The other one I can't remember, maybe Yahoo homepage. It hasn't happen again, so lets chalk it up to JS.