Skip to main content
Topic: A question about MP4/WEBM playback in XP and a couple of bugs (Read 938 times)

A question about MP4/WEBM playback in XP and a couple of bugs

Hello,

First of all, thank you! I'm happy to see an actually active and great open source browser that supports Windows XP and Vista operating systems even today. Thanks for all the work that you at Otter Browser team and contributors have made.

I am just here to ask a few questions and report a bug in the browser:

1) How do I get H.264/MP4 and WEBM to work under Windows XP? I'm already aware there is no native support in XP for MP4, but I'm hoping Otter can make it possible. I noticed it uses GStreamer to work, is there any ind of precompiled plugin I could use for getting MP4 to work?

2) I noticed trying to save a file in My Documents under XP, causes it to say 'The directory is not writable, please select a different directory', could this be looked into and fixed?

3) XenForo forums don't work at all - the styling goes missing and random 404 errors/etc. all over the place. Check xpforums (dot) com in Otter Browser XP to see what I am talking about, among other XenForo sites.

Once again thank you for all the work you have put into Otter and I cannot wait to see later RCs and the release of 1.0!
Jamie Fibel | whiteneko21

Re: A question about MP4/WEBM playback in XP and a couple of bugs

Reply #1
You could try using the files in the folder referenced here in my earlier discussion with Emdek.
They are from the XP SP2 package.
That made YouTube HTML5 work again for me in the Otter weekly builds.
HTH.
 :)

Re: A question about MP4/WEBM playback in XP and a couple of bugs

Reply #2
@whiteneko21, the main reason why that codecs wasn't fixed is lack of man power to finally nail down proper configuration for GStreamer plugins (ffmpeg / libavcodec) that is both capable of playing all required formats using OpenH264 while remaining small (that DLL is huge right now...).
Once we will figure out that part it will be easier. ;-)

Quick check on xpforums using Linux didn't yield any issues, do you have access to some other machine maybe?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.