Skip to main content
Topic: about:config (Read 3889 times)

about:config

Here's an embarrassing exchange I initiated https://github.com/Emdek/otter/issues/245

ersi-dnd
An otter:config page would be nice as a perfect mirror of otter.conf

Emdek
about:config

Emdek closed this

ersi-dnd
Thanks. Then, how about some more obvious access to it, such as Help > Config ?

ersi-dnd
I mean, default access so that people would not have to ask about it.. I wish things were easier to find. I think of myself as pretty knowledgeable about Opera, but Otter is still difficult to navigate.

Emdek
@ersi-dnd, I'm not sure if we really need action to open it, other browsers use the same address and AFAIK none links to it from GUI.
Also these URLs are auto completed (so far only in-line).

I realise now Help > Config does not make sense. A link to the config page is not for everyone in the first place, and it's not a Help thing.

It's a config/preferences/options thing, so the link to "Advanced configuration options" could be located in Preferences dialogue.

Another broader issue is that I simply can't find things in Otter. Opera is very much self-evident to me and I find myself using Opera all the time rather than Otter. For example there's an autocomplete in address bar for about:config as I found out now, but there's no autocomplete for history or bookmark items - which I have been intensely looking for and wanting to activate - so it was not even evident that any kind of autocomplete was there.

Not sure how to organise these issues and questions that I have. I guess a thread per detail will be most noticeable.

Re: about:config

Reply #1
Some kind of link in that dialog could make sense, but I'm afraid that it would look ugly...
Keep in mind that sooner or later there will be options that could "break" stuff, other browsers do not expose that page for a reason.

Completion popup is not as trivial as it might look, it needs good algorithm to order entries correctly (maybe utilizing some options to fine tune it). I'll have to redo bookmarks and history storage first, to expose more data that could be useful for sorting algorithm.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
Redo history and bookmarks? I hope bookmarks will include keywords (also known as aliases in FF) that can launch the bookmark item from the address bar (should be ordinary). In Opera, keywords could launch the bookmark item from their own special keyword field that was accessible by default with Ctrl+F2. Did you use this feature?

And for history I'd like to see folderless sorting "sort by last visited". That's how I use history in all browsers.

Btw, I noticed both history and bookmarks have their own about pages. Those can stay :) Thanks!

Reply #3
@ersi, nope, the only kind of bookmarks that I'm using are entries in speed dial, I have only few regular bookmarks, but I rarely use them directly, they are more useful for auto completion.

Reply #5
@ersi, it will be implemented, ticket was accepted.

Reply #6
A missing feature in about:config - Tab related options.

In Xfce and Openbox desktops the tab preview thingies occasionally refuse to disappear when I switch to some other application. A messy issue. Has it been reported in Github?

________
Note on user agent string now that I am posting in Otter. One post ago I only had only "Otter" in the user agent string and it reported "Mozilla compatible". Here I have the default user agent string and it reports "Safari".

Reply #7
@ersi, which options seems to be missing there?
Yes, that issue with preview is known but not easy to fix...

Reply #8
Well, for now the tab feature that is specifically missing in about:config is "Show previews" true/false. If the desktop glitch related to tab previews in Otter is not easy to fix, then it's a particularly painful miss.

Reply #9
@ersi, indeed, AFAIR someone started working on that but ultimately it wasn't merged due to some issues.
It's easy to do in basic version so there is small chance that I'll add this in time for beta or at least soon after.