Skip to main content
Topic: What would make Otter a Browser of Choice? (Read 21180 times)

Re: What would make Otter a Browser of Choice?

Reply #50
@Juergen, most of these suggestions already have own tickets on github. :-)

Yes, that's very nice. I suppose Webkit probably doesn't have anything like it.

It has something similar, but only global limit, can be set using Cache/PagesInMemoryLimit (defaults to 5).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #51

True. It has something to do with Qt5 and fontconfig. It might work out better with your distro-provided Qt than with a separate QtCreator download though—I'll have to give that a try because Qt 5.2 is now properly available.

Edit: this Qt bug report might be relevant: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-32254

Great news! Qt 5.4 will fix this bug.

Reply #52
:hat:

Reply #53
The bad news is that we'll probably still have to wait till the end of the year for Qt 5.4 to land. I suppose you could compile Otter with a dev version of Qt 5.4 right now if you wanted though.

5.0   19 December 2012
5.1   3 July 2013
5.2   12 December 2013
5.3   20 May 2014

You can see there's a pattern of roughly six months between releases. I imagine it's intentional.

Release dates from Wikipedia.

Reply #54
@Frenzie, 5.4.0 is planned for end of October, although Alpha is already slightly delayed, it should be out already.
That should give enough time to create preview version of QtWebEngine (Blink) backend in time of 1.0 / beta4 release (depending on progress) in December.
Please note that at least first release of QtWebEngine will have far simpler API than that of QtWebKit so most likely it won't be good enough to be default backend until Qt 5.5 (it won't have QtNetworkAccessManager integration, so lots of features simply won't be available yet).

Reply #55
@Frenzie, 5.4.0 is planned for end of October, although Alpha is already slightly delayed, it should be out already.

A quick search didn't yield any (current) roadmaps with dates for me; thanks for the info. :)

With a search for release date I managed to find http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5.4-release

Reply #56
@Frenzie, yep, some days ago I've heard about August 22 on #qtwebengine, although no builds showed up yet.