Skip to main content
Topic: External Images in posts are freekin' humongous? (Read 2434 times)

Re: External Images in posts are freekin' humongous?

Reply #1
Wonder what happened there, as they used to be the correct size.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #2
It's probably a side-effect of sharing screenfetch pics https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=85.msg76231#msg76231

Pics should display at image size, unless they are bigger than the post rectangle, then resize to fit the post rectangle.

Reply #3
It's a side-effect of switching to HTTPS last Thursday. I'm glad no one noticed, because that means everything went well.[1] However, since we still want to see images linked via HTTP (not S) without being bothered by insecure content warnings, or worse, the images being blocked from loading, we need a workaround.

Unfortunately this particular workaround apparently wasn't engineered for small images. I'll fix it.

PS I think the enormous sad smiley is actually kind of cute. :P

Edit: since https://www.smileyfaze.tk works fine I've taken the liberty of replacing all occurrences of http://www.smileyfaze.tk with https://www.smileyfaze.tk

It's not a real solution, just a workaround, but it helps quite a bit.
If you see any insecure content warnings, try Ctrl+F5 to trigger a full refresh.

Reply #4
I'm glad no one noticed, ...
Don't be so sure of that. ;)
Opera Presto became a snail since. However it's not your fault. Presto is outdated, nostalgia beeing the only reason I'm still using it occasionally.

Reply #5
Opera became a snail… because of TLS? That doesn't really make any sense. (Also it seems fine to me?)

Reply #6
Whether it makes sense or not, that's what I witness. I have no logic explanation myself but that's it.
It seems that even small images hosted on the server (emoticons, avatars, background) are slowing down the connection.
What's really weired is that you don't notice any slow-down with Presto.
My speed to the forum is now about 20-40 kb/s with Presto. For most other sites it is 1,5 MB upwards. In general sites load instantly.
With other browsers the forum loads fast as it did before and I wouldn't have noticed the change.
At the first moment I thought that some stupid redirections are slowing down Presto. After sniffing the traffic I noticed the change and even adjusted my bookmark. :)

Reply #7
After emptying cache, the thread linked in the OP displays loading speeds of around 1.5 MiB/s in the popup statusbar and loads in a little over a second. On the second load it doesn't exceed ~20 KiB/s in the display, but in reality it obviously loads in under half a second with cached resources. Of course that's bare-metal Opera 12.16 x86_64 on Debian Stretch.

In my Windows 7 VM Opera 12.18 x86_64 even claimed speeds of 2.5 MiB/s, although it actually felt like it was probably slightly slower. (It's a VM; what do you expect.) But presumably only slightly slower in the rendering sense, not in the loading data sense.

I also have a 32-bit Windows 7 VM. This one even claimed to reach 3.0 MiB/s although in subjective feeling there was no difference with 64-bit.

The speeds displayed are clearly fairly meaningless given files that load in a few hundred milliseconds at most but indeed I thoroughly can't confirm your findings. :)

Reply #8
Thanks for checking!
Whatever it is, the problem is on my side. That's now for sure.
I did a fresh install of Opera Presto and the forum loads now instantly.
:)

Reply #9
I found the reason for the slow-down - at least I think so since I can reproduce it at will with the fresh install as well.
OCSP disabled (privacy ahead of security) causes the slow-down.
That's weird because:
- this is the only site so far where I notice the slow-down
- it's only Presto which causes the slow-down with OCSP disabled, other browsers are not affected by this setting

Reply #10
That I can confirm. In the security info it says that "The server attempted to apply security measures, but failed." Whatever that means, I suppose it happens for each resource.