Skip to main content
Topic: System snapshot iso (Read 2406 times)

System snapshot iso

Not sure if "system snapshot iso" is the right term but here's what I mean by it. Linux distros can normally be installed as an installation image aka iso file. After installing, having taken the time to tweak it to make it work and customise it to perfection, now I am at the stage where I want to back up the system properly, so that it survives even the death of the entire harware. Probably the most complete way to do it is to transfer absolutely everything to an iso file that would be easy to reinstall with all the settings, personal files and partitions intact just in case the worst might happen.

My favourite distro is Manjaro. It's a rolling-release Linux, so an update some day just might change too much irreversibly. For now I have gotten along nicely with it on two different laptops, as if the developer team were testing on the same hardware that I am using. This might change any day, so I'd better be ready.

So, has anyone done this? Built an installation iso from the system snapshot, settings, personal files etc. all included? Share your experience or the instructions that you followed and that worked.

Re: System snapshot iso

Reply #2
Thanks. But what was it that you had against dd?

Reply #3
I didn't want to preserve the underlying file system.

Reply #5
I use a hardware bit-copier to do my backups. Similar to this one:

The process takes about 3 hours give or take.

I have a second pristine hard drive, which I place in my $39.00 Chinese HDD Docking Station's Slave slot.

I place my Master HDD from my laptop in the Master slot.

I press a button on the device & it starts cloning.

About 3 hours give or take later, I have an exact bit by bit copy of the original for verification, & then storage.

I use 1TB HDDs  Three (3) of them.

One (1) user HDD in my laptop, one (1) formatted & validated HDD (pristine), & one (1) archived HDD containing my most recent backup.

The HDD Docking Station works independent of any OS or software. All it needs is power & two (2) HDDs (orig & copy to) to process. It's not required to even be hooked up to a computer to direct clone.

Reply #6
After considering various ways of doing it, I opted for the boring dd method. I really wanted to duplicate, duplicate precisely, duplicate everything and with a simple enough procedure.

Edit: ManjaroISO can work to back up a snapshot ready for reinstallation, if you go through much careful copying. It's not meant for grabbing data from your drive. You have to organise it that way and then it can be done. I just didn't feel like doing it yet.

Okay, there's CloneZilla, dd, LVM, and ZFS. They all work differently, but are good backup tools each and every one. Just listing them here :)