Skip to main content
Topic: Confused about HTML5 (Read 1650 times)

Confused about HTML5

OK so I don't know the story with HTML5 video.

I can't see youtube videos. I just get a spinning circle.

I can't figure out if otter handles HTML5 or not. Or if there is something else I need to install.

Let's say there is someone new to otter. They don't have otter, they don't have qt webkit. What do they need to download and install in order to see HTML5 video?

Thank you.

Re: Confused about HTML5

Reply #1
@Otto Lutrinae, which build are you using?
There are two configurations available (not counting QtWebEngine), standard one uses native infrastructure available in Windows (Windows Media Foundation) and there is also -xp package, which uses GStreamer (and bundled codecs).
I'm already considering going just for GStreamer or at least replacing 32 bit variant (keeping support for XP, since it's "free") but it has some disadvantages, like increasing package size.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
Actually I also wanted to ask the same question as Otto did for quite some time now, but was afraid to do that  ;)

I am using the 32bit Windows build (not for XP) in a portable mode under Win 7 64bit and have completely the same experience as Otto.

Would the use of the XP build improve something in this respect?

I think that it would be very helpful for the newcomers, if these few details would be explained somewhere, perhaps right on the home page.

Reply #3
Hello Emdek, I am using otter-browser-win64-0.9.91-weekly195-setup.exe for Windows 7 x64.

Before that I used 0.9.91 weekly 182, 168, 166, before that weekly 0.9.11 weekly 140, 135, before that 0.9.10 weekly 120.

I also had some 32 bit versions installed along the way. Now uninstalled. Have installed K-Lite 12.9.5, MediaCoder, VLC for the codecs but no success.

What should a person download and install on a clean Windows 7 x64 installation to see HTML5 video?

Thank you.

Reply #4
@Borut, @Otto Lutrinae, there are three options:
  • try version that comes in ZIP archive (as of now it is only missing H264, but it will be available later thanks to OpenH264 library), the one marked as ZIP package for Windows XP or later, 32 bit;
  • try experimental QtWebEngine build (this one is also missing H264, but probably permanently...);
  • install this to allow WMF to handle WebM: https://www.webmproject.org/ie/
Windows Media Foundation works in different way and so far I haven't seen any library that could take advantage of both legacy codecs and new system.
The main advantage of WMF is that it has built-in support for multiple formats, but sadly only proprietary stuff (plus it seems that full support is available only in Windows 10):
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd757927(v=vs.85).aspx

As noted earlier, GStreamer seems to be better choice but at the cost of extra package size (plus new infrastructure to build such packages with MSVC)...
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #5
Good news. I tried option 3 (WebM, https://www.webmproject.org/ie) as it looked like the easiest place to start and it worked! Youtube to my heart's content. Thank you Emdek!

Reply #6
Yep - I also chose to install WebM yesterday evening. Everything went smoothly (I was only not able to start the Installer directly from Otter with Open, so had to save it first) and since then youtube videos can be viewed in Otter without problems. Many thanks from me too!