Skip to main content
Topic: Why can't I close this popup? (Read 1627 times)

Why can't I close this popup?

Only weirdy I have, with Otter, thus far.

On this page:

http://www.independent.co.uk

they have an annoying "Disable your ad-blocker" popup. (Ha, right. If they removed all the trackers that they have, I might do.) It only seems to appear on a first visit).

I can't click on the "X", to close it, for some reason. Is there a setting I've missed? I get it on a number of news sites. Probably all owned by the same group.

Any help, pretty-please?

Re: Why can't I close this popup?

Reply #1
@K@, I've asked bajasoft to take a look into this, but it might take some time to assess this issue, so be patient. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
@K@, which content blocking profiles are enabled? Are they up to date?

Reply #3
Patience is, probably, my only virtue. ;)

The content blocking is as it is "Out of the box", as it were.

I hadn't thought about twiddling with that stuff, to be honest. I'll mess around do some judicious tweaking, there, to see if anything cures it.

Naturally, if it does, I'll report back.

Ta, Emdek!

Reply #4
If it helps, this seems to be the block of code controlling that area:

Code: [Select]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]<div class="adblock-modal adblock" style="">[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <aside class="adblock-notice">[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]    <div class="ctrl"><button class="close" data-action="close">Close</button></div>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]    <h2><span class="logo"></span></h2>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]    <div class="adblock-container main">[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]      <div class="content">[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]        <p><strong>We've noticed that you are using an ad blocker.</strong></p>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]<p>Advertising helps fund our journalism and keep it truly independent. It helps to build our international editorial team, from war correspondents to investigative reporters, commentators to critics.</p>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]<div class="content-section">[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <p><a data-toggle="instructions" href="javascript:void(0);">Click here to view instructions</a> on how to disable your ad blocker, and help us to keep providing you with free-thinking journalism - for free.</p>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <p>Thank you for your support.</p>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]</div>      </div>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]    </div>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]    <div class="adblock-container instructions">[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]      <p><strong>How to disable your ad blocker for <span class="site-url">independent.co.uk</span></strong></p>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]<h3 class="ad-block-icon"> Adblock / Adblock Plus</h3>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]<ul>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>Click the Adblock/Adblock Plus icon, which is to the right of your address bar.</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>On Adblock click "Don't run on pages on this domain".</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>On Adblock Plus click "Enabled on this site" to disable ad blocking for the current website you are on. If you are in Firefox click "disable on <span class="site-url">independent.co.uk</span>".</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]</ul>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]<h3 class="firefox-icon">Firefox Tracking Protection</h3>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>If you are Private Browsing in Firefox, "Tracking Protection" may cause the adblock notice to show. It can be temporarily disabled by clicking the "shield" icon in the address bar.</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]<h3 class="ghostery-icon">Ghostery</h3>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>Click the Ghostery icon.</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>In versions before 6.0 click "whitelist site".</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>In version 6.0 click "trust site" or add <span class="site-url">independent.co.uk</span> to your Trusted Site list.</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>In versions before 6.0 you will see the message "Site is whitelisted".</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>Click "reload the page to see your changes".</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]<h3 class="ublock-icon">uBlock</h3>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>Click the uBlock icon.</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>Then click the big power button to whitelist the current web site, and its state will be remembered next time you visit the web site.</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  <li>Then reload the page.</li>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]</ul>    </div>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]  </aside>[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]</div>

I've tried systematically disabling things in the "Content blocking" section and they've had no effect, sadly.

Reply #5
@K@, uhm... Defaults in Otter Browser means no content blocking, you need to setup lists in Tools -> Content Blocking… first or set them per tab using button in Status Bar.

Reply #6
Ah. Maybe I set them all to block, then, straight after I installed it. 

That apart, I now use Otter as my default browser, although I still use Opera 12, for my e-mail client.

It's rather sad, really, if you imagine just what Opera could be, now, if they hadn't sold out...

Reply #7
@K@, according to bajasoft you most likely enabled all regional lists too, and this specific issue is most likely caused by Arabian profile.

Reply #8
Well, now... That seems to have actually stopped the damned thing from even showing!

I cleared all cookies and went into the site and it seems brilliant!

I'll try, again, first thing tomorrow and confirm that this is sorted (Or not).

Thanks! Send thank to Baja, too, would you?  :cheers:

Reply #9
@K@, great, no problem. :-)