Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping an eye on the Vivaldi Browser (Read 19418 times)

Re: Keeping an eye on the Vivaldi Browser

Reply #51
Spatial navigation in Vivaldi doesn't work that well imo.
That's right, but it works better than in any other graphical browser. Except old Opera, where it works best.

It's a choice between working not-so-good and not working at all. Not much of a choice.

It should not be too hard to implement well. In Elinks and w3m it works fine.

Reply #52
Vivaldi for Android beta just came out. I have very high expectations (for an Android browser) but unfortunately the program is non-functional on my phone. Not even the documentation will load. It looks like they skimped out on their dead bird, or maybe they received complaints? It was rather tasteless.

https://vivaldi.com/press/releases/vivaldi-goes-mobile/

For example:
Another unique feature in Vivaldi is the ability to switch search engines on the fly in the Address Bar using nicknames.
Of course Opera/Presto for Android could also do this. It's weird that Opera desktop still does this while the mobile version doesn't.

Reply #53

So the magglass icon just duplicates the address bar? Any way to get rid of the address bar then?

I may try it out for the Reader View. I am fond of Reader Views. Samsung Internet browser and Edge do it quite well, even though only on websites that "allow" it. However, in Vivaldi,
Reader View can be enabled in Settings under Accessibility options.
What? You have to dive deep into settings to enable it? I want to enable and disable it on the fly from the main menu, just like with desktop vs mobile view. Any way for users to place any setting into the main menu or as a button on the toolbar?

And tab management may be promising as well, if they allow switching to list view like in Samsung Internet browser.

Reply #54
I may try it out for the Reader View.... What? You have to dive deep into settings to enable it? I want to enable and disable it on the fly from the main menu, just like with desktop vs mobile view.
Actually, it turns out that enabling Reader View in the deep settings simply allows enabling it when available by the visited website. When available, Reader View can be switched on by some button on the address bar. It has a few font and colour options.

Samsung Internet browser has a bit more options in its Reader View. More crucially, Samsung Internet can theme the entire web - all webpages black on white, if you want. This is quite a crucial advantage.

And tab management is a disappointment too in Vivaldi, compared to Samsung Internet. In the tab management view in Vivaldi there is:
- No long-press to open a menu on a tile, to e.g. clone it, or to start multi-selection of tiles
- No app menu items to e.g. close all tabs, sync all, bookmark all, etc.
- No list view
- No drag-and-drop reordering (just a visual effect on handhelds, but anyway)

Samsung browser continues to be my #1 mobile browser.

Reply #55
Samsung browser? The idea that a phone manufacturer might make one that's substantially better than Chrome hadn't crossed my mind.

Does it do without Vivaldi's current fatal flaw of only being on Google Play?

Reply #57
Setting aside custom ROMs and Sailfish (on both of which you can install Google Play but may very well not want to), the Huawei Mate 30 won't come with any Google services either.[1]

Anyway, Opera offers a plain old APK.
Incidentally, Yalp Store is a great place to grab APKs on Android without Google.

Reply #58
Built in Alarm /Countdown in latest Beta Vivaldi. Very useful for me, well done.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #59
On the desktop, Vivaldi has the best tiling options that I have ever seen.

I am considerably less impressed with the Android version. It does not stand out among other Android Chromeites the way Samsung Internet and Edge do.

Reply #60
I keep forgetting to try mobile Edge. The desktop browser is nothing special to me, besides that it has/had a non-Chromium engine.

Reply #61
The desktop Edge is simply an abject failure. Nothing to see there. But the Android version has a tile-y looking tab switcher and a fair reading view.

Samsung Internet is even better, as it can dark-style the whole web.

Reply #62
Vivaldi M3/Mail is pretty darn good so far.

Opera 7 comes with a totally rewritten mail and news client, with support for POP3, IMAP and (E)SMTP. The client (called M2) has many new, innovative and unique features. This means that in many respects, M2 behaves differently from most other mailers, and therefore requires some additional instructions before you start testing.

Reply #63
Vivaldi browser, mail and calendar are my trilogy of preference these days. Together with Qwant for search engine.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #64

Opera 7 comes with a totally rewritten mail and news client, with support for POP3, IMAP and (E)SMTP. The client (called M2) has many new, innovative and unique features. This means that in many respects, M2 behaves differently from most other mailers, and therefore requires some additional instructions before you start testing.
Are you kidding? This link is about Opera 7 M2, and the document was "updated" in 2011. Still... not bad at all. I used to love M2.

Reply #67
Not yet.

When M3 was first in early development, it could import from M2. However, the database structure and indexing had to be substantially changed, and so that capability was lost at that time. It will be back.

Besides M2, I'm sure they'll also want to add import from a few choice programs like Outlook and Thunderbird.

Reply #68
I haven't tested it yet. Does it import Opera's mail? If not, it is a big missing feature...
It seems so, but I never did it. Have a look here.

Quote from: Vivaldi
The best way to move all of your emails from your current mailbox to Vivaldi is to set up both Vivaldi account and your current email provider’s account using IMAP in an email client of your choice (e.g. Opera M2, Thunderbird, etc.).
A matter of attitude.

Reply #69
True, that works well enough. I actually used Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail to migrate mails from Hotmail to another email account that way, since while Hotmail only supported a proprietary protocol Outlook Express had no trouble with the standard.

Reply #70
I've become a fan of Vivaldi   3.7.2218.52 (Stable channel) (x86_64), and find it the best out-of-the-box browser out there. It suits my needs for browsing, corresponding, forum reading and posting, shopping and other business -- better than I'd thought possible!
Although I admit, with Opera Mail collecting from my web accounts, I haven't tried Vivaldi's in-browser mail client yet...
I recommend Vivaldi 3.7 to anyone who feels even a tad bit disappointed by the various Operas since they jettisoned their Presto engine.

I'll use Opera 11.64 for old time's sake. I use Firefox or Safari for single-purpose stuff (locast.com tv, for instance; and internet radio -- the Brits have a good lineup: https://ukradiolive.com/jazz-fm ). On my phone, I've even been known to click Google's browser -- for quick-duration searches and maps/directions. :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #71
Manjaro Cinnamon 21.1.2 now includes browser Vivaldi.

Some years ago there used to be resistance to shipping corporate-ware with Manjaro. Now there's Staroffice and Vivaldi and some other things. There also used to be attention to consistency of app sources - repos only - and the users had the opportunity for AUR. But these days Manjaro ships with snapd too...

My Manjaro installations on various machines are old enough so that these new additions do not concern me, but if I need to install again, I will need to pick a different distro.

Reply #72
I'm fine with the snap stuff in principle, as an alternative source. What I don't like though is how in Discover for example you have to pay extremely close attention to where a suggestion's coming from. If you use the command-line or a more dedicated app like Muon that's not an issue.

Reply #73
Xah Lee the Emacs hacker hates Fn key on keyboards, tiling window managers, Common Lisp, and more. But he loves Mac and he uses Vivaldi browser.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vz6XiVVluI[/video]

As to tiling window managers, I made roughly the following calculation.

1. Do I need two windows perfectly side by side more often than not? Yes, I do.
2. Do I absolutely need to see the desktop background picture and reach for the icons there? No, I do not.

The first item results in more points for tiling window managers because in a tiling window manager the side by side arrangement of windows happens by itself. The user only needs to open the two apps/windows and bang, they are automatically arranged side by side.

In a common floating window manager you have to go through a special effort to tile the windows. In a tiling window manager you have to go through a special effort to make your windows floating. But how often do I need them floating, partially overlapping? Never, really.

The second item is about app launching habit. If you predominantly launch apps from the apps menu (i.e. press Win and type), then a tiling window manager will work for you, because this is the main way to launch apps in a tiling window manager.

Xah Lee the Emacs hacker is most importantly the creator of Xah Fly Keys, which is a set of keybinds rewritten for Emacs based on statistics on what functions are accessed most. The functions that are accessed most have the simplest single-key shortcuts. The downside (or upside for some) of this keybind extension is that it makes Emacs modal (Normal Mode versus Insert Mode like in Vi). For myself, there are very few keybinds from vanilla Emacs that I have rewritten. I have found the original Emacs keybind set worth learning.

By the way, Vivaldi does good tiling of its own.