Skip to main content
Topic: Navy question - what is going on? (Read 3965 times)

Navy question - what is going on?

We have now had yet another US warship in a crash situation and this is the fourth this year. Sailors injured, killed/missing. It is basically extremely sad and to be reasonable a human error is one thing but 4 in 2017? Kind of worrying.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: Navy question - what is going on?

Reply #1
Troubled waters...

Only minor collatoral damages of the Obama Administration's strategic "Pivot" to Asia, pursued by the new Trump Administration.

Reply #2
Don't they have radar systems to prevent against that kind of thing? I mean, we're hardly talking about some local fishers on a dingy…

Reply #3
Does not matter which man is in the White House as it still happens. Now some remains have been found on the latest ship incident. A bit sad but a repeated issue is not a very good one.

Reply #4
The commander of the fleet was already substituted.
Trump reads RJHowie.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #5
As I pointed out Iberian chatterbox  it does not matter who is in the White House as happened under 2 Presidents. And anyway the pointless comment on the fleet C.O. being replaced is not the answer as he personally is not on four different ships controlling them.......

Reply #6
The chief of commander is responsible for everything.
What do you want? to dismiss all the ship commanders?
You're probably right...  :lol:

Do I need to remember you when you dismissed your chief of commander after the brave Argentinian attack at the Malvinas that sunk so many of your vessels?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #7
Don't they have radar systems to prevent against that kind of thing? I mean, we're hardly talking about some local fishers on a dingy...
There's another scenario: Almost all modern ships -including freighters and oilers- are computer controlled. While U.S. destroyers are not a likely target for "hacking," these others are…
Track the course of the oil tanker before and leading up to the latest collision. Does it make sense to any navigator?

We've entered a new world of warfare. (As someone said a long time ago: If you really want to screw things up, use a computer!)
This is just another example of a recent tactic: We can't use armies, we can't use bombs and rifles; let's use trucks! Technology will be their downfall! Allahu Akbar!

Yes, the U.S. Navy needs to better appreciate this threat.

It's going to get really ugly, soon. (I'm not afraid for myself; but I'm afraid for the world: How long ago was it, that the U.S. tamed the Barbary pirates?
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #8
I do actually agree with you on the threat issue OakdaleFTL but unfortunately there is something quite separately a problem when one reaches 4 crashes and each ship is controlled from the bridge by what are meant to be experienced trained commanders. This has been a terrible situation with a series of warships and tragically involving sailors being killed totally innocently. Disappointing and very sad.

Reply #9
There's another scenario: Almost all modern ships -including freighters and oilers- are computer controlled. While U.S. destroyers are not a likely target for "hacking," these others are...
Track the course of the oil tanker before and leading up to the latest collision. Does it make sense to any navigator?
I wasn't talking about the freighter. Anyway, you can see for yourself that it was going straight and on course until it suddenly hit the US Navy vessel lounging about in regular shipping lanes. I think your scenario might be more plausible from the other angle. Were the US Navy ship's systems disabled by an attack of some sort and they're pretending it's just an accident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1b58yelh_c

Reply #10
There's another scenario: Almost all modern ships -including freighters and oilers- are computer controlled. While U.S. destroyers are not a likely target for "hacking," these others are…
Assuming that you manage to hijack a fisher boat or a tanker - what is then a radar system on a warship good for?
Yes, the U.S. Navy needs to better appreciate this threat.
Ships of the U.S. Navy are the threat. They should better keep out of regular shipping lanes.

Reply #11
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw[/video]

Reply #12
@ensbb3 Odd, I know that as "what shall we do with the drunken sailor." Besides that I think it's the same. Probably. :lol:

Reply #13
Think the US Navy had a problem but sure that is an appropriate "link" from ensbb3 especially as totally innocent sailors have died.

Reply #14
Odd, I know that as "what shall we do with the drunken sailor." Besides that I think it's the same. Probably.

I've heard it both ways. "What will* we do"sounds more right to me... so is prolly wrong, lol. Gotten into sea shanties lately. Inspired by some recent boat outings I suppose. I like this one better:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20n3N1uhztc[/video]

Reply #15
Utterly bordering on the low life dance away. Totally innocent sailors killed and 4 state-of-the-art warships not run right and we get this stuff?? A rather immature way of body swerving.

Reply #16
Totally innocent sailors killed and 4 state-of-the-art warships not run right and we get this stuff??
Well we sure as shit didn't get much from you. Others have cobbled together what you think you're talking about. Not that you'd ever overstate anything, but your spine has apparently deteriorated from sitting in front of the television so much.

A 22yr old destroyer perhaps isn't "state-of-the-art" but shouldn't be colliding with other ships nonetheless. If you want to read the report:
USS Fitzgerald Report
Who hit whom is a bit of a hmm[?]. It was at night and everything seemed legit until a cargo ship crashed thru the side. Not sure on maritime right of way and such, guess I'll have to wait for the investigation to conclude.
"The loss of seven shipmates is a tragedy beyond words and a reminder of the danger inherent in the mission of every ship and Sailor."  Seems fitting enough. They did sign up for that possibility even though no one wished it on them.

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/uss-antietam-commander-relieved-of-duty-following-ship-grounding-1.456620
Capt. Joseph Carrigan was relieved due to a “loss of confidence” in his ability to command by Rear Adm. Charles Williams, commander of Task Force 70, according to a Navy statement from U.S. Pacific Fleet in Hawaii on Wednesday.
Something you want me to add to that? Did you know or just pretending nothing was being done?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4830024/Bodies-ten-sailors-recovered-USS-John-S-McCain.html
The commander of the Navy's Japan-based 7th Fleet was fired last week after a series of accidents this year raised questions about its operations.

The firing of Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, a three-star admiral, was a rare dismissal of a high-ranking officer for operational reasons.
And look they got the admiral too.

Like your posts mine didn't really have much to do with the topic. I made it clear enough I thought it sounded dumb.

P.S. I didn't look up the one that collided with a fishing boat. It's not that I didn't care, I just thought if you grew a backbone you might actually want to do your own work.

Reply #17
Oh yes you meaning the readers here did get a valued attitude from me and it is your inbuilt ignorance and smart alec stuff that is a disgrace. My stance was reasonable and concerning  and the "we" you use for your corner is utterly ridiculous and immature rubbish.   Neither does it amount to a hill of support. my concern was the safety of the sailors who trust those in charge AND for those who died when they should not have. You in turn fall back on sneering stupidity instead of a reasonable answer. The guff about sea shanties did you no credit and I have NOTHING to apologise for.

Reply #18
oh noes! who put this egg on my face!? Ahh! It's like my face is a skillet! Who opened these dozen eggs here? Ah, the burn! It burns!!

Could you do me one more thing..?
Having failed your own advice...

Could you fix the spacing in this?

Grammatically incorrect hypocrisy is where I must draw the line.

Reply #19
Sailors are drunk, ship collides. Simple as that.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #20
As Dave Bowman said recently:
With the recent collision of the USS John S. McCain near Singapore, the return of the “Facebook Admiral” pretty much sets my teeth on edge. Look, going to sea is dangerous. Period. But we humans have been doing it so long that we take it for granted and we believe that it is safe. Especially with the advances in technology. But the fact is that all those things, radar, sonar, computers and electronic wizardry, are only tools. If Sailors – who, the last time I checked, are imperfect human beings, don’t use the tools properly, things can go wrong. And here’s the thing – no matter how much technology you pack into a warship, there is an undisputable truth about collisions at sea. And that truth is that it doesn’t matter how much technology you pack into a hull. There is only one thing that will prevent an accident. Period…
https://thedavebowmanshow.com/2017/08/27/disappearing-taney/
This guy was a sailor, a fire control officer on a boomer back in the day.. Howie (and his cohorts) were… What? Boyscout Troop leaders? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #21
No big head mouth ensbb3 it is not wrong. It is a quotation from the bible and re-done here as shown (!). As for the ships the actual launching date is not the issue as they would be included these days with modern technology. So it boils down to "training" of would-be leading officers not just in ine ship but a squad of them. Dear, oh dear.