Skip to main content
Topic: Tabs. As with Opera12, can I get them to the bottom? (Read 2172 times)

Tabs. As with Opera12, can I get them to the bottom?

That kinda covers it... :) I've always preferred the tabs at the bottom as that's how they started when FastBrowser (Remember that?) introduced tabs to their browser. I believe they were the first to use tabs, then another browser called Neoplanet. (Yeah, I'm no spring chicken). Opera12, of course, made that dead easy, as you just right-clicked on the tab bar and selected "Tab bar placement". If it can't be done, I guess I'll stick with v12...

Funny thing, I used to be the support lead for the software that Elkarte was forked from (SMF). Small world, innit? :)

By the way, just a niggle you might want to look at... I actually registered using Opera12, as having cookies set to "Ask", makes it impossible to register using Otter. :(

Re: Tabs. As with Opera12, can I get them to the bottom?

Reply #1
Hello and welcome.

The Tab Bar can be moved anywhere. There's a small drag and drop widget at its left side. Just drag it to the bottom.

If you mean to have it under the Status Bar, then it's not possible as far as I know. You'll have to hide the Status Bar. But that's not a big problem since you can add the Status Bar widgets to other toolbars.

Reply #2
Ah! I never even saw the drag bar... I just tried it and I seem to have created a monster!

The tab seems to have become a sidebar, with no sign of a drag thingy.

Edit: Phew... That got it! Ta, Beastie!

Reply #3
Funny thing, I used to be the support lead for the software that Elkarte was forked from (SMF). Small world, innit?  :)
Haha, awesome! I ran the forum on SMF for a few years before switching to Elk. It offered me more in terms of making my customizations exclusively hook-based than SMF 2.1, not to mention being mobile-friendly out of the box. I suppose/hope SMF 2.1 has caught up on that by now, but in any case I've joined the Elk ecosystem. :lol:

Reply #4
Dunno, mate. SMF got exceedingly silly, so I left. Elk is waybetter, in my opinion.

The current SMF project manager is a complete yutz. 

Reply #5
Nope, SMF 2.3 beta 4 (in dev, current from Git, whatever) doesn't seem to have improved much from a quick glance. (But a lot under the hood, one hopes.) It's unfortunate but there's plenty of other fish in the sea. :)

Reply #6
They suffer from the same thing that Opera and Mozilla suffer(ed). Rather than giving the members what they wanted, the member s got what the devs decided they should have. That was one of the big reasons I gave it up.

You know that Firefox is going to die an ugly death, soon, I s'pose?

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/24/firefox-will-only-support-web-extensions-by-the-end-of-2017/
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/11/23/add-ons-in-2017/

Eejits.

Reply #7
Yes, I read that blog post last year. I also posted something about it just a couple of hours ago here. ;)

I can't say Fx 55 on my laptop really feels any faster. I guess it must be the "legacy" extensions I seem to have installed. For example, the "Save file to" extension is legacy. And this'll also be fun: the Ubuntu Modifications.[1] /sigh
I have no idea what they do, probably only relevant if you use that top menu in Unity, but I wouldn't be surprised if it made Ubuntu reconsider which browser they ship as default.

Reply #8
Vivaldi always said they'd get an e-mail client built-in. Sadly, I can't see that happening. :( I use Viv for sites that Opera 12 can't display. I have to say, I'm impressed with this Otter, so far. It's damned quick on most sites I've been to.

As I did a bit of dev stuff, when with SMF, I have way too many browsers installed. Fourteen, now... I kinda like Lunascape, but that's not as breakable as I like, really. "Breakable" is code for "I like to pull things apart and see if I can break them what I can change and make better". As A non-programmer (Apart from a TINY bit of php/html), that can result in... er... fukkups.

I've nudged a few of my cohorts to Otter. But, there's a small problem, for a few. As they're not as able as some, eyes-wise, they need some themes, so that they can get the colours they need. I'm going to try and help them with some custom css files, to see if we can get around that. The skin I use with Opera is one that makes it look exactly like Opera v1 did. It's kinda groovy.

Reply #9
Not a paid endorsement in any way shape or form, but I am testing the Vivaldi email client as we speak.  Turns out it was fully as complex a project as a browser, and so, while under development since prior to Vivaldi's initial release, it has taken a looooooong time to get ready for public release.  As it stands, the email client is fully serviceable, but not nearly what I'd like to see if I downloaded an email client for the first time.  So there 'ya have it.