Skip to main content
Topic: Initial Feasability Report (Read 2560 times)

Initial Feasability Report

Disk usage should be fine. I don't know how long it'd take the database to reach hundreds of megabytes, but by that point performance might be more problematic than size. Honestly I have no idea, other than that as long as we stay below 1GB everything's peachy, and that'd take a long time to reach.

Bandwidth usage is harder to get a handle on. We've used 186MB this past week, but we have only a skeleton crew. Below 20GB/month everything's great. If we assume a 20 times greater activity for an active forum that should still easily be within acceptable limits.

These are not hard limits in the sense that our account allows for more, but you understand I shouldn't use more than about half of it.

In conclusion, so far it looks like DnDerbirds are go. (That sounded better in my head.)

Re: Initial Feasability Report

Reply #1

Disk usage should be fine. I don't know how long it'd take the database to reach hundreds of megabytes, but by that point performance might be more problematic than size. Honestly I have no idea, other than that as long as we stay below 1GB everything's peachy, and that'd take a long time to reach.

Assuming you're using mysql - every database has its own subdirectory in mysql's data directory:
Code: [Select]

/home/mysql# du -hs *
90K     branca.err
2.0K    branca.pid
2.6M    forum
978K    fud
5.0M    ib_logfile0
5.0M    ib_logfile1
18M     ibdata1
952K    mysql
174K    performance_schema
2.0K    test

to find the data directory:
Code: [Select]

mysql> show variables where variable_name="datadir";
+---------------+-------------+
| Variable_name | Value       |
| datadir       | /var/mysql/ |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

( /var/mysql is a symlink to /home/mysql on my server. /var/mysql is the default. )

Reply #2
I know the size; I just don't quite know how to estimate growth rates at this point. :)

Reply #3
I guess check once a week ;)
Even with ridiculous amounts of overhead ( assuming fulltext indexing ), .5GB worth of forum posts is an awful lot of text.

Reply #6
I have no idea.