Skip to main content
Topic: Emdek, forget about Qt! (Read 1942 times)

Emdek, forget about Qt!

"Qt WebView" will always have problems (also as well as WebKit, CEF).

Many users need no extensions of the browser, they can do without advertizing blocking.
At the same time none of them will use the buggy browser which can't open the necessary website.
Win10 and MacOS are the updated OS, which it seems provide relevant "Native WebView".
---

Survival of the project requires two things:

1) To provide "Native WebView" for Win10 and MacOS.
It is necessary to take users, there where they are!

2) To make a fork of any open mobile (Android/iOS) browser (Firefox/Chrome), and to name it "Otter Mobile".
At the same time to add exchange of files of bookmarks and a session, through the file (Desktop-Mobile).
This is enough to do.

Instead of being wasted, for compiling "Otter Desktop" every week, it is better to compile "Otter Mobile" once.
---
 :idea:
Forget about Qt, deal with "Native WebView" and Mobile App.
Increase in users who have no problems will give you new motivation and the chance of monetization.

Re: Emdek, forget about Qt!

Reply #1
@Elgoog, one word: QtWebView, it wraps native web views where available.
We can consider adding such backend in future, but it would be extremely basic...
Wrapping each one separately is way too much work...
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
For Windows:
Need use ActiveX control, with the API provided by the Active Qt module.

The QAxContainer module is a static library implementing QObject and QWidget subclasses, QAxObject and QAxWidget, that act as containers for COM objects and ActiveX controls.

See sources GreenBrowser (MFC C++ for WinXP, it uses ActiveX IE6).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GreenBrowser

It is necessary to use this technology for Win10, if possible.

For MacOS:
QMacNativeWidget

Reply #3
Just a short note from my nontechnical corner...

I could not care less for Win10, Chrome and Android. (And somehow I have a feeling that I am not the only one around here, but I might be wrong.) I use my special selection of small portable applications (including a portable application launcher) on every Win machine I touch. Otter has become my primary browser many weeks ago.

My impression is that for Emdek and annulen the monetization prospect has never been a driving force. (Yes, such people do still exist.) For the Otter-Browser I wish that both of them find the time for further development and the power to believe in the way they have chosen, so they can persist on their way.

Emdek and annulen, may the Force be with you.

Reply #4
@Elgoog, it would still require a lot of work to implement all functions, and probably many of them would be simply impossible (so far QtWebEngine still cannot offer the same level of integration as QtWebKit).
If someone would like to prepare (and maintain them later) such platform specific backends then we might consider adding them, why not.

Reply #5
require a lot of work to implement all functions
No. It's simple.

The first reference from search:

Web Browser Example (ActiveQt)
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/activeqt-activeqt-webbrowser-example.html

In what place it is difficult here?
---

Similarly for MacOS.
It is a few code on Objective-C, for call Native API, for create and use the control.
---

I repeat, forget about QtWebEngine, QtWebKit and everything that is connected with them, them will never work normally.

Advantages of a "Native WebView", on updated OS -- No problems with websites!
Microsoft and Apple are interested in it, they have resources and influence for this purpose.

Reply #6
@Elgoog, we need way more integration than just that basic stuff. ;-)

Microsoft and Apple are interested in it, they have resources and influence for this purpose.
Yep, thanks to these efforts by Apple (and others) QtWebKit is progressing too.

To make it clear, having platform specific backends could be useful as addition, but not as replacement.

Reply #7
you constantly repeat "on updated OS"
this just leads to constant tracking what MS and Apple fucked up on their side
which is not Emdeks job or anyone elses...

who ever makes Webkit port to QT, its theirs responsibility for max compatibility