Skip to main content
Topic: Suggested enhancements (Read 1027 times)

Suggested enhancements

All,

Just found out this browser and am still using Opera 12.18 over any of the other browsers.  Though the Otter Browser reminds me of Opera using the Presto engine, there are some limitations that should be implemented.  Before I state them, if these functionality is there, please let me to how to do them.

1)  Author Mode -  Simply put, this is one of the biggest enjoyments I have with Opera.  15 terabytes worth of crap adds on a page, having the load first before the content loads going over various 150 simplex lines to various sheds hundreds of miles from anywhere -> author mode and reload the page.  Looky there, I can read the content of the page without having to wait for those ads to load.  Shocking.

2) Show images -  Enhances and works hand and hand with Author Mode sometimes.

3) Putting the address bar at the bottom of the page. 

4)  Though I love the ORIGINAL tabbed feature of Opera (various sized pages vice full screen) as I have always used it since Opera 3.62 (when I found out about Opera).  Otter Browser allows for this, but seems to keep them at a specific size vice the size I used them as.  Slightly annoying, but one would think Otter Browser would remember the tab size.

If there are simple ways to do the above, please let me know.  If not, please consider them as enhancements for the next release.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Suggested enhancements

Reply #1
1)  Author Mode
There's a long discussion on the topic on GitHub. Feel free to join in.

2) Show images -  Enhances and works hand and hand with Author Mode sometimes.
I'm not sure I understand specifically what you're asking here, but if it's about disabling and enabling the display of images, it may be done globally through Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Content or in about:config (Permissions/EnableImages), as well as locally through the F12 menu - a great improvement over Opera and a personal favorite of mine. But you have to reload the page for the changes to be applied.
And just like in Opera, if images are disabled you can right-click the placeholder of the invisible image and do Reload Image to display it.

3) Putting the address bar at the bottom of the page.
You can move it anywhere. All the toolbars are customizable and any widget can be added to any toolbar. If you mean to move the actual "Address Bar" toolbar, it's not possible AFAIK, but you can always create a new toolbar (View > Toolbars > Add New > Add Toolbar...), add an Address Field widget and hide the original toolbar.

Re: Suggested enhancements

Reply #2
Thank you and I knew I was missing something simple.  Author Mode should be on EVERY browser,  Time to work on the setting and go over to github for the discussion. 

I also plan to install it as a standalone install as I also like cleaning up after the browser.  It seems to be fairly simple to do via a batch file...like I do with Opera 12.18

Thanks again,

Chris