Skip to main content
Topic: Very good browser (Read 1183 times)

Very good browser

I tried Otter and I like it.
What I like:
1 - It's minimalist
2 - It's very lightweight on resources (more than 200 MB less RAM usage than Opera and Firefox)
3 - It's stable and quite compatible with almost all web sites

What I miss:
1 - I miss the option to minimize the upper bars to gain space (the bars are really thick and huge). Firefox with an addon (Titlebar Plus) has this option and is very useful.
2 - Generally, the lack of customization options for the UI
3 - An explicit adblocker (integrated is OK, but must be more visible and have some options)
4 - The lack of compatibility with at least some addons or extensions
5 - The lack of a "reader mode" to clean sites from junk for just reading text

Overall, a great browser. I will use it extensively from now on. Thanks to the developers.  :)

Re: Very good browser

Reply #1
1 - I miss the option to minimize the upper bars to gain space (the bars are really thick and huge). Firefox with an addon (Titlebar Plus) has this option and is very useful.
Right-click the Address Bar or Tab Bar > Configure... > Options tab > Display toggle button.
Something like that?

2 - Generally, the lack of customization options for the UI
There's room for improvement, but a lot can already be customized. Be sure to run the latest version or to build it yourself from MASTER.

3 - An explicit adblocker (integrated is OK, but must be more visible and have some options)
Like Tools > Content Blocking...?

4 - The lack of compatibility with at least some addons or extensions
Support for Chrome extensions is planned.
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/blob/master/TODO
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/42

5 - The lack of a "reader mode" to clean sites from junk for just reading text
Also a planned feature.

Re: Very good browser

Reply #2
After upgrading my OS to a version containing Qt 5.6, I finally could install Otter Browser with QtWebKit.
It is so great! This is what I have been looking for during the last years. Many many thanks!  :happy:
Also I am surprised how fast a browser can be still today.

I do write programs with Qt, too. Let's see if I will be able to contribute at some point.
The main thing I miss so far is a better keyboard navigation. But for browsing the Qt4 offline documentation I can still use Opera 12.