Skip to main content
Topic: G7 is in principle a farce (Read 3023 times)

G7 is in principle a farce

Many years ago such a group would have an understandingly financial lace but this has declined and most people seem to be not aware of this.Apart from Japan it is a Western thing and been declining and it only covers 30% of world finance these days.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: G7 is in principle a farce

Reply #1
Why farce? Why not tripe or nonsense?

Reply #2
I agree, it's a farce.
England shoul be out of G7, they aren't even part of the H group... the I group... the J group... the K group... the L group...
A farce indeed.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #3
Kind of groany there Belfrager. May I remind you that we have a reasonable economy unlike yours even though you are on the routine begging bowl and we also have the highest employment for decades. The Euro is still in  mess after years (note years). The G7 was once an economic powerhouse and way up there in the financial influence but when you steadily slump and now down to 30% neither the G7 or it's Yankee string pullers are doing very well!

Reply #4
The govt that May is desperately trying to cobble together is a farce.

Reply #5
No it is not a farce although your comment is more a joke that a serious point. Mrs may still has the largest party and the largest number of votes. Even though Lenin, oops I mean Corbyn increased his party by 30 MP's I would also remind that he is nearly 60 behind May. The man is a farce. He thinks he has a right to be Prime Minister even though scores of seats less that the Conservatives. Yet the boring mouth thinks that with a lower stance he is entitled?? Years ago Labour was in government even though it managed to get a smaller party to help it into power. Not a form agreement just an informal one so may has the same right as that lot.

Corbyn would bankrupt this country and he also got leaned on for his support years ago for Sinn Fein and that bunch of dangerous gits. When pressed he had to come out with something else and what did he say? He had to answer and the stance was that yes it was sad that so many civilians died. note, "civilians." The legion of police and out soldiers didn't count. Did he have a discussion then with the Unionist side ? nope. The only way he could get over 300 seats like May's corner is in his dreams yet he thinks he would be PM with  so many less seats. our House of commons Committees all have a broad party representation and something that cannot happen in the ex-colonies because the money barons won't have that. By all means Southern boy try for a dig but then we have a wider democracy than your two corporate giants.  :knight:

Reply #6
I stand by what I asserted earlier. May is naught more than a caretaker PM now. Her DUP C&S agreement is a joke and wil lead to the unraveling of the Good Friday agreement.

Reply #7
Yeah very clever Southern boy. But I ain't an ex-colonist so easy to work out your attempt at a subtle dig. For other non-Americans the DUP is the largest party in Ulster and loyal to Britain. The other lot the SF are just a bunch of scum-bags who were murderous scum. They refuse to have their MP's sitting in Westminster as it means taking an oath of loyalty to Britain. The far lefty leader of the labour party and his shadow Chancellor ( even more Marxist) both met with the Sinn Fein gits years ago. Corbyn at first tried to avoid questions on that matter until he could not avoid it any longer. His sickening answer was that it was terrible for all the civilians killed. Note he was okaying policemen and soldiers were okay for murdering. Even Southern Ireland is NOT pressing for a united Ireland and in modern times even dropped the claim for the Counties in Ulster. The background of the opposition over there which supports terrorism is a sad but disgusting matter. Others in the opposition like the SDLP  are more democratic  and not into murder but they lost their seats to the SF  lot. Mrs May is quite right to try for a loose coalition and this IS NOT something new here. The Labour Party did the same.

Coming from a land of two massive corporate control lots you really have a nerve to try and advise anywhere else! Nice try sonny but the rest of the normality here need to know what is real. :P

Reply #8
I've advised nothing. I made an observation.

Reply #9
You can fool ex-colonials but not the sensible outside. Still think the G7 is a load of cobblers and out of date and declining.

Reply #10
In size of the economy (nominal) the G7 countries are currently 1st (US), 3rd (Japan), 4th (Germany), 5th (UK), 6th (France), 8th (Italy), and 10th (Canada), but don't include 2nd (China), 7th (India), 9th (Brazil), 11th (South Korea) and 12th (Russia).

On that measure it is a highly influential group. Yeah, there will be a relative decline. Using PwC projections:

Countrytoday20302050
China2nd1st1st
India7th3rd2nd
USA1st2nd3rd
Brazil9th8th4th
Japan3rd4th5th
Indonesia16th9th6th
Germany4th5th7th
Mexico15th12th8th
UK5th6th9th
South Korea11th11th10th
France6th7th11th
Russia12th13th12th
Saudi Arabia20th18th13th
Turkey17th17th14th
Italy8th10th15th
Philippines36th2Xth16th
Canada10th14th17th
If those projections were to pass the G7 should make sense, and wield significant power as a group, until 2030, but not much longer.

In 2030 G7 positions would be 2nd,  4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 10th and 14th. Hardly hegemonic power, but still dominant to the extent that they share interests. 

Reply #11
I would also point out to you jax that the West which regarded itself as the controllers has in it's corner definitely declined and no longer has the right to try and act like Moses.

Reply #12
The G7 countries have in total 1/10 the world's population (though oversized economic and military power, with 1/3 or 1/2 of the world's gross product, PPP or nominal, and 2/3 of its wealth). In a world not grossly unfair that 1/10 would not call all the shots, and we're moving there.

In the first half of the 20th century the European major powers could do pretty much as they pleased unless constrained by other powers. In the second half the US could do the same, except when constrained by the Soviet Union. In the first half of this century no country can, and that seems likely for the second half as well.

That is well and fine, and probably cause for jubilation in many quarters, "Hooray, no global policeman", but we will need structures in its place. Now we have many groupings and organisations, G7, G20, OECD, UN, World Bank, AIIB, ADB, EU, AU, ASEAN, NAFTA, Mercosur, NATO, WIPO, WTO… Most, if not all, of them would probably continue to 2030, but by then I would expect several to drop off into irrelevance, including G7. 

Geographic blocs have gradually strengthened. Most notably the EU, but also in Asia, the North and South Americas and Africa. Regional rivalries are rough in the EU, but are much stronger in the other regions. Thus I don't expect the others to achieve much by 2030, but three steps forward, two steps back.

Reply #13
Thus I don't expect the others to achieve much by 2030, but three steps forward, two steps back.
The contrary of going three steps forward, two steps back is to go two steps forward, three steps back.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14
It just emphasises the point that the G7 is no longer the bossy boots of the economical world and hooray to that.