Skip to main content
Topic: Feature request: 1. Anti-bookmarks and 2. Bookmark boards (Read 6041 times)

Feature request: 1. Anti-bookmarks and 2. Bookmark boards

Maybe nobody noticed in the other thread, so I am re-stating an idea for a forum feature here as a separate thread.

I am basically ignoring an entire board here (the Lounge) and it's not so easy. Whenever I open up the unread threads, which is how I read up on stuff, I see a bunch of Lounge threads. So I have to go to Lounge, mark all read, and return to unread threads to see what's really of interest to me.

How about an anti-bookmarks feature: Threads and boards specifically marked (say, Ignore) don't show up at Unread anymore. Make the list of ignored threads and boards manageable under bookmarks.

BTW, there is a way to get email notifications from a board when a new thread is put up. How about making bookmarks work for boards the same way: I can bookmark a board, and new threads that are written there show up under bookmarks.

Wouldn't these features make the forum bookmarks more usable?

Re: Feature request: 1. Anti-bookmarks and 2. Bookmark boards

Reply #1
1. I renew my invitation for you to visit 'The Lounge'!:P  There's some content there that could allure you;)
2. I can't see any problem not visiting certain threads - and when done with all of interest - just mark everything as read. :simples:! :P
[PSST]Maybe you've got a sort of allergy to the colour?;)[/PSST]

Reply #3
Very good, this fulfils the request #1: Ignore boards.

How about request #2: Bookmark boards? I realise it's similar to notify, but notifications come through email, whereas forum bookmarks are not that.

Reply #4
How about request #2: Bookmark boards? I realise it's similar to notify, but notifications come through email, whereas forum bookmarks are not that.

A bit of a hidden feature is that the image to the left of the board name is a link to view the unread posts in that board (or just New Posts/No New Posts in eLinks). Isn't that effectively the same thing?

Reply #5
Notification concerns new threads. New posts shows new posts in old and visited threads too, but New Threads are New Topics. The request is about getting new topics to appear under the bookmarks when a board is bookmarked.

Reply #6
I'm afraid I don't see a straightforward way to make that happen.

Reply #7
Frans, let that be seen as a "premium upgrade feature". We have what we have now for free, it seems to me that the request the author wants for falls into an "advanced category".

Reply #8
Basically, request #2 is to convert the notification system into bookmarking. The idea should be graspable. But you mean it's technically not easy enough?

Reply #10
I am basically ignoring an entire board here (the Lounge) and it's not so easy. Whenever I open up the unread threads, which is how I read up on stuff, I see a bunch of Lounge threads. So I have to go to Lounge, mark all read, and return to unread threads to see what's really of interest to me

Why? If you ignore it, you ignore it, no matter how many new posts are posted.
Your problem is that you are accessing the forum in a wrong way, don't go through "unread threads", that's useless. Just enter the forum and you'll have the new posts in the first place imploring you to read it, ordered by the different sections.
Then, you don't read those you don't wanna read.

The Lounge has a few pearls, by the way. Better than many of DnD Central posts.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #12

I am basically ignoring an entire board here (the Lounge) and it's not so easy. Whenever I open up the unread threads, which is how I read up on stuff, I see a bunch of Lounge threads. So I have to go to Lounge, mark all read, and return to unread threads to see what's really of interest to me

Why? If you ignore it, you ignore it, no matter how many new posts are posted.
Your problem is that you are accessing the forum in a wrong way, ...
I ignore now the right way and it's okay now access the forums the way I am used to. Me so happy  :D

Reply #13
@Frenzie or @Macallan: Do we have an "Ignore User" option as well, or just "Ignore Boards"?

Reply #16
I won't "ignore" anything in such a way -- you never know what will be of use tomorrow... /Ali Abu Joshsreddin/