Skip to main content
Topic: A US tragedy and so sad (Read 10139 times)

A US tragedy and so sad

I know that tragedies strike all the time on our planet and many innocents killed due to national disablers but the one nin America in the mud slide is touching. What struck me was that people in that small community would be in their homes doing things around the house, watching television, eating and so on. Suddenly without warning everything goes dark and things collapse suddenly and you don't know why.

In later reports it was said that there was a degree of awareness of possible problems and the locals had a slang tern for the muddy hill. Makes me think of the terrible tragedy in Aberfan, Wales  when a mine heap next the village collapsed and many children killed in their classrooms.I dare say we could ask why permission to have houses next to something seen as a problem but probably thought all would be well like in Wales decades ago. In this case virtually a whole community involved which makes it even more telling and tragic.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: A US tragedy and so sad

Reply #1
I dare say we could ask why permission to have houses next to something seen as a problem but probably thought all would be well like in Wales decades ago. In this case virtually a whole community involved which makes it even more telling and tragic.

Tragic indeed, but people choose to live in dangerous places all the time.
In fact, the area has long been known as the "Hazel Landslide" because of landslides over the past half-century. The last major one before Saturday's disaster was in 2006.

"We've done everything we could to protect them," Pennington said.

Patricia Graesser, a spokeswoman for the Army Corps of Engineers in Seattle, said it appears that the report was intended not as a risk assessment, but as a feasibility study for ecosystem restoration.

Asked whether the agency should have done anything with the information, she said: "We don't have jurisdiction to do anything. We don't do zoning. That's a local responsibility."

Reply #4
Is there anyplace that isn't dangerous?
I live in America's Midwest. Spring is here, and that means severe thunderstorms and tornadoes are a real possibility.
A few nights back, I overnighted at New Madrid, Missouri. Look that place up, and you'll find there's a potential problem. Earthquakes powerful enough to affect the course of the nearby Mississippi River, for example.
Much of Kentucky is on Karst, which is a water-soluble mineral. Kentucky gets sink-holes on occasion, one of which hit the Corvette Museum a few weeks back.
The East Coast gets bad hurricanes. Much of the West is a tinderbox it seems, fires burn thousands of acres of land and houses every year.
In Minnesota, there are gates set to close the Interstate highway if needed. No joke if those gates are closed, in Winter you're in wide-open country where snow can blow across the roads and you can die in your stranded car with help unable to reach you for some time.

How about the UK? RJ mentions Aberfan. I read about that several years ago, I hope that mining interests pay more attention to safety than they apparently did then but you never know. Anybody living on the coasts have to deal with the powerful storms that sweep in from the Atlantic-- this past season hasn't been much fun, I've been reading about the Somerset Downs and the flooding you got there.

Every now and then we read of tragedies from any part of the world, no place on the planet seems truly safe these days.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #5
Every now and then we read of tragedies from any part of the world, no place on the planet seems truly safe these days.

Russia?

Reply #6
Michael, one must evaluate the danger/possible dangers himself. If you're unable to - you're fail, if you don't give shit - your choice. And let us discern between naturally caused disasters and those triggered by human activity (they all are mix, I reckon - since human started to feel "the Nature's Emperor").

Reply #7

Michael, one must evaluate the danger/possible dangers himself. If you're unable to - you're fail, if you don't give shit - your choice. And let us discern between naturally caused disasters and those triggered by human activity (they all are mix, I reckon - since human started to feel "the Nature's Emperor").

I just remembered--Russia has bitterly cold winters.  There's a town in Russia that regularly gets to be the coldest place in the Northern Hemisphere every year for several weeks. You don't turn your car off all winter long because if you do, it won't re-start. 50 below zero average temps-- doesn't matter whether it's C or F, at those temps it's just mind-numbingly cold. And they built a town there.

I understand that most of Russia isn't quite like that, but it appears that this place-- actually in Siberia-- is especially "favored". Yes, that kind of cold is life-threatening, just so's everybody knows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oymyakon
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #8
I just remembered--Russia has bitterly cold winters.  There's a town in Russia that regularly gets to be the coldest place in the Northern Hemisphere every year for several weeks. You don't turn your car off all winter long because if you do, it won't re-start. 50 below zero average temps-- doesn't matter whether it's C or F, at those temps it's just mind-numbingly cold. And they built a town there.

I understand that most of Russia isn't quite like that, but it appears that this place-- actually in Siberia-- is especially "favored". Yes, that kind of cold is life-threatening, just so's everybody knows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oymyakon

I've not been in Oymyakon, but I've been in a city close to Oymyakon - Yakutsk. I confirm: it's cold there like a hell.

Reply #9
Nah, it's even not on topic, Michael.
Imagine cyanobacteria thriving in a deep oceanic chasm -- will you tell us that that place doesn't fit to live in?
Those guys in The Far North, Siberia, wherever - or we should say something about guys living in very wet places, or in very dry/hot ones - they've lived there for some time. I hope you get the idea -- and this topic, I reckon, is about sort of catastrophes, i.e. changes in settled habitat.
Quote from: sergey
I've not been in Oymyakon, but I've been in a city close to Oymyakon - Yakutsk. I confirm: it's cold there like a hell.
That'll go -- you come in a habitat that doesn't suit your habits. It's like a Vietnamese went to Pakistan or an Inuit to Sahara: both and both there live people who're "habituated" enough into their respective life conditions.

Reply #10
What's the tragedy?
If no one has noticed it the OP doesn't mention it...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #11

Quote from: sergey
That'll go -- you come in a habitat that doesn't suit your habits. It's like a Vietnamese went to Pakistan or an Inuit to Sahara: both and both there live people who're "habituated" enough into their respective life conditions.

Yes, you are right - people there are prepared for this type of weather.

Reply #12
Off topic???? OFF TOPIC????

I think the topic just might be about building in questionable places, and then acting surprised when the inevitable happens. If you build in that town in Russia, you'll get cold. If the heat fails in your house there, you have an immediate life-threatening situation.

Here, we have people who build in flood plains and then act surprised when the river reclaims its own. Happens every year, without fail. Some people lose their lives over this too.

The story that starts this thread turns out to be a similar thing. It's not like the danger wasn't known-- but nobody made the right choices concerning this so now people are dead. Personally, I don't expect any good news from here on with that disaster, they say some bodies may never be found.

People build in "Tornado Alley" and "Hoosier Alley", and both of these places are known for violent storms that break things and kill people. An entire town gets blown away, several people are killed-- and they re-build the town on the same site.

Reply #14

What's the tragedy?
If no one has noticed it the OP doesn't mention it...

The tragedy that gave rise to this thread is the recent landslide in Washington state. Near Seattle, so you wouldn't need to look too hard to find it. A mudhill gave way and buried upwards of 100 people, only a handful of bodies have been recovered so far and last I knew they're not even sure they can recover most of the bodies.

People build in the daftest locations, and building/buying near this place, with the danger being known for at least a decade that I can find, has got to be one of the strangest things you can do. See link below, it's to a Google search where you can click links to find out more.

https://www.google.com/#q=hazel+landslide

Reply #15
Меня тоже улыбнуло!

People build in "Tornado Alley" and "Hoosier Alley", and both of these places are known for violent storms that break things and kill people. An entire town gets blown away, several people are killed-- and they re-build the town on the same site.
They sorta like it!..
Different people have different priorities, you know. I understand them.

Reply #17
If I hadn't read this, I wouldn't believe it. Still not sure I believe it after reading. It takes all kinds I guess.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/deadly-mudslide/mudslide-victim-wanted-right-live-anywhere-he-wanted-n64186

If you really believe nobody can tell you not to build your house in the path of a mudslide, go ahead and build-- and argue with authorities. Every now and then, snoopy busybody government types get it right and you really shouldn't build there. Something to keep in mind when you're laying the foundation of your dream house directly in the path of coming disaster.

Reply #18
Is suicide against the law?

Reply #19

Is suicide against the law?

It has been, not sure if it still is. It's a little difficult to prosecute against a "successful" suicide though. What punishment would be meted out to one who was convicted?

Reply #20
On two occasions in my deep community side I managed to stop two young men at different periods from suicide. A third was on the way to see me when he for some unknown reason went back and took his own life. All in their early twenties and particularly hard on their families. I also conducted two funerals of the three. The mind can be a great question mark sometimes but it is the family that is left in the lengthy dark.

Reply #21
On two occasions in my deep community side I managed to stop two young men at different periods from suicide. A third was on the way to see me when he for some unknown reason went back and took his own life......

On the Isle that invented paedophilia, bestiality, & buggery -- a British Naval Tradition & National Pastime -- claim to fame so to speak,  I wouldn't be at all surprised if successful young male suicide is much more widespread -- being forced to take the bloody 'peg' from childhood who'd blame the poor young chaps.

Reply #22
I bet sensible ex-colonists groan when Smileyfaze terrorist puts things on here.

Reply #23
Quote from:  RJHowie

I bet sensible ex-colonists groan when Smileyfaze terrorist puts things on here.

Almost as loud as when they see you posting ole man, almost as loud.  :lol:

BTW ........... If you wish to call me Smileyfaze Terrorist, I'd appreciate a capitol T, for I take great pride in my past assistance to my Freedom Fighter Northern Ireland IRA Brethren, as they surely appreciated me sharing my specialized skills & fortune with them long ago.  You labeling me the way you do brings a tear of joy to my black heart! :lol:

Tiocfaidh ár lá ole man, Tiocfaidh ár lá   :cheers:   :yes:

Reply #24
Oh I am not just sticking a passing label it is a statement of fact.

Your wonderful pals brought death, maiming and despair to large numbers of perfectly innocent people and dopey Americans helped them. If they were that concerned they should have immigrated to Ireland. I would never have give Adams, McGuinness and killers anything. They even killed people in their own communities. The Assembly is a farce on the idea of democracy what with a forced coalition of a group of parties and no official opposition. There are only a couple of independents not in the government.

Meanwhile over the Border in the Irish Republic the vast majority of the population wnat little to do with your lot. Ireland has moved on and having freed itself from the men in the black (and the livers in the past) far more open and with a wider view than what used to be. I don't see SF/IRA making a government in Dublin any time soon because the Irish are too sensible for that out of date lot. And even getting into government is a waste of time as like all extremist groups they splinter and still continue to kill and bomb. As a Unionist I have more in common with much of the southern Irish population than you have as an out of date hangover from another time. So give all the guff you want about what I call you as in real life Ireland doesn't want your mentality these days.