Skip to main content
Topic: "Proportional" reprentation (Read 15847 times)

Re: "Proportional" reprentation

Reply #25
While Northern ignorants discuss their pseudo-language, the facts remains the same - The Europe of Citizens is so much ahead of the Europe of political parties.

The rest of the world is an anecdote. A dangerous anecdote.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #26
I wonder if that is really a positive the basic way Europe is - a basic shambles. Was not meant to be kind of State and anyweay looking at the basic composition makes your assessment even doubtful.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #27
Shouldn't Europe have a proportion of Communists, Fascists, Crypto-capitalists, and (add any other -ists you'd like!) rule over them?
(They actually have: It's called the EU…)

If there are no principles worth fighting for, there is only what Frenzie call the "circular argument." The other side -the one I'm against- says exactly that: There are no principles!

When you focus upon "the process." chances are pretty good that you know — you've already lost the argument. But you may continue winning battles…
Hell, you might win the war!

How does that work out in the real world? Unfortunately, as Keynes quipped: "In the long run, we are all dead."

How many people with children feel that way? It's hard to say, considering the many who'd turn their children into bombs, and thence hamburger…

You choose your principles; and you -at great peril- ignore the plain principles of others.
———————————————————————————————————————
Again, I ask: What is the purpose of government… What do we want?

I doubt the answers to those two questions will be very enlightening. Most of the modern world (that would be Europe, BTW? :) ) has rejected such…, principles, that is. And, so, should be perfectly okay with the Trump presidency: He's their "kinda guy"! (The Art of the Deal, and all that silliness… Didn't it used to be called "Real Politik"?)

In a sense, I see what people who want proportional representation want: A calm, peaceful world; where no one is treated un-fairly.
I'm not opposed to that.
I just see (know…) that that's not how the world works.

And I would like someone to explain to me how "tribal," or racial or ethnic -or even ideological groups - make, when they're given priority- the polity better and the government they support — something other than a "spoils system"…

(And, so, we're back to Frenzie's "circularity". I wish I had the answer… But I can only claim certain principles that I deem paramount. See America's Declaration of Independence and said country's Constitution.)

And, ersi, look up the various dictionary meanings of the word "principle"… Then go out to a bar, get drunk; get into an argument… It'd probably do you good, even if you lost the fight. You've a lot to learn yet.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #28
If there are no principles worth fighting for, there is only what Frenzie call the "circular argument.
The other side -the one I'm against- says exactly that: There are no principle!
Fair representation is not a principle worth living and fighting for?

Reply #29
Ah! For you, the process is the principle… :)
进行 ...

Reply #30
You are maybe right ersi so emigrate!

Reply #31
RJ, would you explain what you mean by a "wider democracy"…?
进行 ...

Reply #32
I do understand that living in America and being brained from childhood Oakdale the idea of 'wider democracy' is a puzzle because you think you have it. You lot are brained from childhood by words such as "democracy" and so on but in practice only limited. There are an awful lot of places with that wider democracy than your two-faced place. Yak about principles but inside the country is a different tale!  :hat:

Reply #33
Oh, we manage, RJ…  :) You're welcome to your parliamentary system; we'll keep our constitutional republic a bit longer, thank you!
进行 ...

Reply #34
Why keep it Oaky when tens of millions are getting nowhere in it?  :down:

Reply #35
Where are they trying to go?
进行 ...

Reply #36
Being so many poor Yanks they cannot afford to go anywhere.  ???

Reply #37
They could go to Glasgow, and on the same income live like kings! :) (Well, lairds — at least.)
进行 ...

Reply #38
People enjoy coming here being such a friendly place. :happy:

Reply #39
We aren't such a friendly place. We should be but we aren't.
Mea culpa, vostra culpa.
Who cares in this consumist egoist society.

There's no way to have "representation" when humans lives like insects. First, let's live like human beings at human societies, by humanistic values, by the absolut value of the dignity of the human being, then there wil be no problem about "representations".
A matter of attitude.

Re: "Proportional" representation

Reply #40
I forget, Belfrager, did I post this link before? :)

I still think various societies choose or accept various schemes of government, as they suit them. It's the them part that too many people refuse to acknowledge…
For example, I'd not presume to tell the citizenry of Portugal how to structure their government…
(What we do here is different: We choose to discuss and criticize each other's views — mostly in a friendly manner. When governments do that, it's called "diplomacy," which often leads to war! :) Here, we -at most- stop talking to each other.)
There's no reason I can think of that requires a single best system. But I do still believe that the U.S. constitutional republic is best suited to most Americans… :)
进行 ...

Reply #41
I forget, Belfrager, did I post this link before?  :)
A fable indeed... so Republicans sees themselves as... butterflies??? despising the Democrat bees?
I would see them all more as consumerist cockroaches. Never imagined Republicans with such poetic soul... buterflies shooting around, what a cartoon.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #42
Sorry to be a disappointment Belfrager but my younger brother has visited the Algarve in your place and seemed to enjoy it!

Reply #43
Next time he will be arrested.
No more considered an European and as such treated as an Islamic terrorist. :)
Say bye-bye to your brother if he ever visits us again brexit annoying orange man.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #44
Portugal books tourism record
Brits again topped the list of foreign visitors to the country, followed by Germans
Be nice to Anglo-Saxons. :)

Reply #45
Not just Anglo-Saxons but Scots, Ulster folk and Welsh lot too!

Just thought Belfrager dear Popish man that we are now into the marching season so will think about you.  Would let you try my regalia on but worried you might have a heart attack.

Reply #46
we are now into the marching season
Boy-o! Has no one told you you live on an island? What are ye? Lemmings?
进行 ...

Reply #47
Portugal books tourism record
Brits again topped the list of foreign visitors to the country, followed by Germans
Be nice to Anglo-Saxons. :)
The plague has arrived...
Use masks and avoid any contact with those foreigner hordes of infectious microbes....
Burn them all, it's a matter of public health.

A matter of attitude.

Burning pockets

Reply #49
Burning pockets smell bad.