Skip to main content
Topic: What's going on in Italy? (Read 8263 times)

Re: What's going on in Italy?

Reply #25
Garibaldi. Red Shirts.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #26
What a silliness that is rebel waffler. Semi-detached. How can Scotland be that when it IS fully attached. If independent then it would be detached fully. Hhmm, getting a bitty complicated for you.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #27

What a silliness that is rebel waffler. Semi-detached. How can Scotland be that when it IS fully attached. If independent then it would be detached fully. Hhmm, getting a bitty complicated for you.

Surely I got a laugh out of you, old curmudgeon?   8)

Just thought I'd post that to see how you'd take it, as I always was amused when I was living in the UK when people referred to their homes as either "detachted" or "semi-detached".  :)

Reply #29
Yeah I do get a smile Confederate youngster and know well what you are up to. As for those here who are detached jimbro they would do well across the pond but be kind of down the queue in a land of nut jobs.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #32
It is indeed tragic that you've not recruited any of your Italian friends on here, or better yet, a Catholic priest.   :P

Yes, indeed, a tragedy. :)

Except for myself, with this universal all over the world tendency of mine - an heritage from my ancestors - the rest of civilization doesn't seems to care too much about the Northerner forums.
They're wrong and short sighted, one most know the enemy. :)

Regarding the Priests, you can find them right where they should be, inside churches so you can regret, penitence and ask for mercy in order to save your atheist soul for eternity.
When in heavens, you'll have all the time of the world to discuss with them. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #33
Giorgia Meloni May Lead Italy, and Europe Is Worried

Shouldn't the politically correct feminists be happy that Italy is getting a long overdue first female prime minister?

Speaking for Europe, I can say that Europe does not need to worry. The rise of a new wave of extreme/far rightists probably started with the victory of Jörg Haider of Austria in 1999. By a concerted EU diplomatic effort, Haider was blocked from becoming a chancellor of Austria. In hindsight it can be said that the EU diplomatic effort of intimidating Haider out of power and shaming Austrian voters for this particular election result was the wrong take.

What will happen in Sweden with SD in government with M? About the same as happened in Estonia with EKRE in government with K. SD will see that exercising power in a coalition is no fun. Either they'll need to keep addressing completely unnecessary self-caused little scandals or they will be boring like every other party and be forgotten when the government falls.

Meloni will have more power than this, but so did Berlusconi for a very long series of terms and Italy survived. Admittedly, it survived as Italy, not as an honourable Western European country, but it is not too bad to survive as Italy. Maintain the mechanisms of elections and transfer of power in good order and it will be okay. The damage that Berlusconi caused was quite bad; Meloni will be mellow in comparison. Importantly, the most dangerous element - pro-Putinism as in Le Pen (and, again, Berlusconi) - appears not to be there in Meloni. Her other alleged problematic issues are either topics that the EU does not have a consistent policy on, such as immigration (as exemplified by the difference of handling the Syrian refugee crisis versus the Ukrainian refugee crisis), or that have low priority, such as LGBT agenda.