Skip to main content
Topic: Disabling the tab switcher dialog? (Read 1721 times)

Disabling the tab switcher dialog?

Hi there.

Is there any way I can disable the tab switcher dialog and have tab cycling like in Chrome where one can hold "Ctrl" (or "Ctrl"+"Shift") and press "Tab" repeatedly to cycle from one tab to the next (or previous)?

I'm talking about the same behavior as the single key shortcuts "1" and "2", but using "Tab".

And the reason I'm asking about this is that I have to cycle through tabs rapidly and the single key shortcuts are interpreted as input text when tabs contain editboxes or textareas.

EDIT: using mouse tab cycling (RMB+scroll) is kind of what I'm looking for. But I'd like to have that using the keyboard instead.

Re: Disabling the tab switcher dialog?

Reply #1
Hi there.

Is there any way I can disable the tab switcher dialog and have tab cycling like in Chrome where one can hold "Ctrl" (or "Ctrl"+"Shift") and press "Tab" repeatedly to cycle from one tab to the next (or previous)?

I'm talking about the same behavior as the single key shortcuts "1" and "2", but using "Tab".

And the reason I'm asking about this is that I have to cycle through tabs rapidly and the single key shortcuts are interpreted as input text when tabs contain editboxes or textareas.

EDIT: using mouse tab cycling (RMB+scroll) is kind of what I'm looking for. But I'd like to have that using the keyboard instead.
Hi,
I believe, there is a default shortcut
Ctrl+F6 to change to the tab on the right, and
Shift+Ctrl+F6 for the opposite direction to the left.
These are equivalent to single key shortcuts 1 or 2, but should also work in editable text areas.

As there are dedicated actions in Settings: Advanced: Keyboard ...
the shortcuts should be adjustable too.
hth,
  vbr

Reply #2
@beastie, I guess it's time to add options for tab switching, both cycling mode (last activity and order) and if dialog should be shown at all.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #3
@vbr, I didn't recall there was such shortcut. Thanks for the reminder. I set the "Go to Tab on Left" action to use "Ctrl+Tab" and it successfully disabled the tab switcher.

@Emdek, that would definitely be great. By the way, I had some trouble with the keyboard shortcut editor. It didn't want to accept shortcuts like "Ctrl+Tab". It only worked after editing the .ini file manually.

Reply #4
@beastie, perhaps QKeySequenceEdit doesn't like certain sequences, or it was something else?
BTW, there are also actions like ActivatePreviouslyUsedTab, but these won't work correctly without dialog (just like in classic Opera).

Reply #5
Well, honestly I have no idea. I just pressed the "Add" button and whenever I pressed "Ctrl" and "Tab", Otter added a blank line in the "Shortcut" list.
For some reason I think "Tab" is being interpreted by the interface to mean an actual shortcut instead of being recorded by the shortcut editor. Any other combination seems to be recorded properly.
The same happens in both FreeBSD and Windows.

Reply #6
@beastie, AFAIK it grabs keyboard input under X11, so in theory nothing can interrupt it (since nothing else can receive these events then).