Skip to main content
Topic: disgusting look... (Read 6785 times)

disgusting look...

ok seriously ???
if you are aiming for disgusting flat look, i'm gonna ditch this browser for good

Re: disgusting look...

Reply #1
@exley, icons were discussed for several weeks. :-P
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/1239

The problem is that previous default icon theme (Oxygen) was criticized as being outdated, it's hard to satisfy all using single set...

You can find there instructions how to restore old icons too, later I'm planning to package them to make it easier.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #2
if you are aiming for disgusting flat look, i'm gonna ditch this browser for good
That's very radical, man! Don't rush into things like that ;)

Seriously, the alternative is as easy as setting Interface/IconThemePath in about:config no matter what the project's default currently is.

Personally I have Oxygen on one computer and Flat on another.

Reply #4
someone please post old icon set
this is garbage

Reply #5
someone please post old icon set
GitHub offers version control, among other things. So go ahead and download it from there:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/archive/dffebf537bfd8b3f71b58be5433d3779a374c11c.zip

Extract the archive, move the .../resources/icons directory anywhere you want, open about:config and set Interface/IconThemePath to point to that directory you've kept.

Reply #6
aaah thank you !

Reply #7
I found a setting in about:config

Interface/UseSystemIconTheme

Change that to Yes. Worked for me.

Reply #8
@ersi, but that won't help under Windows (that concept exists only under FreeDesktop.org compatible systems). ;-)

Reply #9
why not simply leave both styles, or whatever more you will have later
make user choose

this way one downloads something cemented in, and its plain ugly
and people run from ugly :P

Reply #10
@exley, the issue with that approach is how to show choice to user and make it look sane. :-D
These enhancements improve it for sure under 10 and... XP, but Vista and 7 (possibly 8 and 8.1 too) need some more dedicated work.

Reply #11
err simply put it in preferences dialog just like "content" of fonts and page look is stiffed there...
you can simply add 1 dropdown list with "icon style" and link it to either cfg or ini file to read entries from //path/to/icons

some years later, if any skinning will exist, you can just expand upon that...

Reply #12
@exley, sure, you can already select styles that way, the main blocker for similar UI for icon sets is native ZIP support.
And the main issue with style (not icons) under Windows is how to present choice between variant with extra fine tuning (basically white toolbars under tab bar) and old one, and if it makes sense to give such option at all (the proper solution is to fix remaining cases so toolbars under tab bar will pick right color, the one used by handle of active tab).

Reply #13
@exley, icons were discussed for several weeks. :-P
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/1239

The problem is that previous default icon theme (Oxygen) was criticized as being outdated, it's hard to satisfy all using single set...

You can find there instructions how to restore old icons too, later I'm planning to package them to make it easier.

People who have used seem to think that a browser does not look modern unless you copy chrome's god awful bland colorless icons.

It does not look modern at all. It look like something you would see on a black and white monitor before computers could color. It is idiotic think that black, white, and grey icons look modern they don't they look retro icons before we could use colorfull buttons.

Why does every try to ape, copy, and make icons that look to similar to chrome' icons. Microsoft Edge, Firefox 47.0+, and Otter is doing it.

Making Otter look to similar Chrome's icon will most likely backfire. Because people looking for different than chrome will most likely look some where else. If they wanted to use something that looked so much like chrome they would be using chome and not otter

Reply #14
Once I tested Otter version 0.9.12 beta 12 so yesterday I found time to have a look at Otter version 0.9.99 RC9. What I saw shocked me- Oxygen icon set may not be very nice but it is tolerable, but the icon set which replaced it is monstrously ugly and absolutely unbearable. I cannot stand such abominable icons no matter what features Otter may have or will have in the future, the current icon set is disgusting and nauseating. Please consider adding an option to change tool-bar icons from preferences, I am sure I will not be the only one who is repelled by this horrible icon set, shame on the developer who created it but obviously he is shameless. So I urge Otter developers- please have mercy on your browser and on your potential users, when the first stable version of Otter is released at least restore old Oxygen icon set or add an option to load it. Opera, the real one, the Presto one, has never been ugly so if Otter still insists on being its spiritual successor, it should not be ugly either. Also the start page images are childish but at least these can easily be disabled so I am not complaining but the new tool-bar icons set is something which prevents me from using and even testing Otter. Once I was very enthusiastic about Otter and I added it to The Portable Freeware database but with version 0.9.99 RC9 my enthusiasm waned, please don't sacrifice Otter to modern ugliness, don't copycat abominations like Chrome and Edge, I cannot believe that there are no free icon sets better than the current one, even Oxygen will be fine if it can be used with new releases.

Reply #15
I cannot believe that there are no free icon sets better than the current one, even Oxygen will be fine if it can be used with new releases.
Please check my post from a year ago if you want to use Oxygen. You may be missing a few icons here and there, but otherwise it should work fine.

I don't like the "new" icon set that much, but other people like that kind of look. IMO it's not the end of the world. After all it's just what it is: an icon set. A browser is much more than that.

Reply #16
@beastie

I don't like the "new" icon set that much, but other people like that kind of look. IMO it's not the end of the world. After all it's just what it is: an icon set. A browser is much more than that.

It is not the end of the world, I agree, it is just the end of my interest in Otter if the first stable release will not be shipped with an option to easily switch icons. The ugly icon set is a fly in the ointment which is ruining my browsing experience. It will be a pity if the developers let such a nuisance repel potential users (many former Firefox users are searching for alternatives).

Reply #17
also not a fan of removing color as a cue for which icon is which.  Thanks apple :)

Downloaded the old Oxygen set, noticed there were some missing (as we were warned there would be).  Would be nice if Otter would fall back to the default theme when an icon isn't found. 

Anyway, put some icons together to complete the Oxygen theme (ie has all the same icons as the current default).  Those extras are attached

Reply #18
Anyway, put some icons together to complete the Oxygen theme (ie has all the same icons as the current default).  Those extras are attached
Thank you for the contribution.

Reply #19
It is not the end of the world, I agree, it is just the end of my interest in Otter if the first stable release will not be shipped with an option to easily switch icons. The ugly icon set is a fly in the ointment which is ruining my browsing experience. It will be a pity if the developers let such a nuisance repel potential users (many former Firefox users are searching for alternatives).
It's the first stable release indeed, not the final version for all eternity. As you can see (in this very thread and on GitHub), even the way icon sets are loaded and displayed is still a work in progress and the whole browser is under heavy development.

Check these GitHub issues:

Just bear with it, keep in mind the limited manpower and in the meantime you can use the old icon set.

Reply #20
Actually, I like this minimalistic look. And I do not like fireworks. The less colours the better for the eyes when working. :)