Skip to main content
Topic: What's Going on in Russia? (Read 19513 times)

Re: What's Going on in Russia?

Reply #100
..says a sworn Trumpite who
Your pejorative is both silly and wrong! Why do you persist in using it? (To use a phrase not in my everyday vocabulary): Stop "beclowning yourself"...

Your "explanation" (or do you call it "analysis"?) relies on -as usual, when you'd talk about U.S. anything- your necessary categories informed only by your prejudices. You choose to pay attention only to the most extreme factional examples, and then exaggerate them to the point of caricature.
You end up with -for you- a very comfortable Reverse No-True-Scotsman fallacy.[1]
If you're going to use medieval logic, at least read enough of Scholastic scholarship to refrain from such immature (...I might say ignorant) applications
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #101
..says a sworn Trumpite who
Your pejorative is both silly and wrong!
Telling a Trumpite apart from other people is not too hard. The test questions are: Did Trump incite an insurrection? What successes did Trump's administration have? Yup, you are a Trumpite.

You choose to pay attention only to the most extreme factional examples, and then exaggerate them to the point of caricature.
This is a weird complaint because on this forum my main example is yourself. Are you calling yourself an extreme factional example now? In any other country you would be, yes, but interactions with Americans elsewhere show me that your type is not that special over there.

In USA, Fox News - which for any other country would indeed be extremely factional - is mainstream. It's so mainstream that it recently needed Newsmax and RSBN to spice things up. Yet those outlets and their audience consider themselves normal, simply standing up for the constitution.

Americans should be able to apply their laws and constitution as per normal, but lately due to the deepening brainwash of the likes of you, Fox News etc. whenever an American says "constitution" it tends to be a major red flag. Do you have a proposal how to fix the situation? How would you make it so that Americans saying "constitution" would have a similar meaning like a citizen of any other country talking about the constitution of their country? Or do you still hold that no other country has a constitution, rule of law, rights, freedoms etc?

Reply #102
Quote from: OakdaleFTL on 2022-05-02, 16:19:08You choose to pay attention only to the most extreme factional examples, and then exaggerate them to the point of caricature.
This is a weird complaint because on this forum my main example is yourself. Are you calling yourself an extreme factional example now? In any other country you would be, yes, but interactions with Americans elsewhere show me that your type is not that special over there.
:troll: (But he won't starve to death! I'll keep him, as a pet... :) )

Telling a Trumpite apart from other people is not too hard. The test questions
Much the same as the American Left (and, of course,Putin!) would use to tell who's a Nazi! And as silly... An unappealing mix of projection, prejudice and perverse palinody. (When they're feeling accommodating, the term fascist serves the same purpose. :) )[1]
As if there aren't extant examples for comparison...
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #103
Since direct links to Moody's don't work, let's try a workaround.

Moody’s Declares Russia in Default

“Missed coupon payment constitutes a default,” Moody’s said in a statement late Monday.

[...]

The Kremlin dismissed reports that it defaulted on its external debt Monday, saying the
payment had been made in foreign currency in May.

“The fact that the funds have not been transferred to the recipients is not our problem,”
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.
Some voices close to the source say the "foreign currency" that Russia attempted to use was RUB. But the (at least two different) bonds (scheduled for last week) are nominated in EUR and USD.

Usually when a country defaults, its rating is downgraded, but credit rating agencies have stopped rating Russia since the war with Ukraine.

Reply #104
“The fact that the funds have not been transferred to the recipients is not our problem,”
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters.
Not our problem seems very cavalier, but afaik the basic tenet of it is true? That is, if you phrased it as "not our fault" instead of "not our problem" it would be accurate. Because no matter whose fault it is, it is their problem.

Reply #105
The check is in the mail?

Reply #106
According to Russian news:
- Samuel Furfari of Université libre de Bruxelles says that Erdogan of Turkey is awesome for achieving the grain deal between Ukraine and Russia. Also, EU and USA suck because they did not achieve this deal https://ria.ru/20220723/zerno-1804493452.html
- Syrian economist Zulfiqar 'Abboud thinks that, given the grain deal, the sanctions should be cancelled https://ria.ru/20220723/sanktsii-1804437601.html

According to Western news:
- Russians attack Odessa, the port that was supposed to be safe for grain according to the grain deal https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-12548358

The latter incident is not mentioned in Russian news. It also makes Erdogan look kind of not having achieved anything, so, I don't know, fake news ??? Edit: TASS says that the defence minister of Turkey says that Russians say they have no connection to the Odessa bombing https://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/15293823

Over at Le Figaro, a business banker says that, instead of imposing sanctions on Russia and supporting Ukraine, we should democratically discuss the costs of doing so and then probably not do it. The commentators under his opinion piece agree whole-heartedly https://www.lefigaro.fr/vox/monde/philippe-villin-les-sanctions-contre-la-russie-quoi-qu-il-nous-en-coute-20220718

Reply #107
Samuel Furfari of Université libre de Bruxelles says that Erdogan of Turkey is awesome for achieving the grain deal between Ukraine and Russia.
I can't find the guy saying anything like that in Dutch/French.

Over at Le Figaro, a business banker says that, instead of imposing sanctions on Russia and supporting Ukraine, we should democratically discuss the costs of doing so and then probably not do it.
lol what? They barely cost us anything at all.

Reply #108
Samuel Furfari of Université libre de Bruxelles says that Erdogan of Turkey is awesome for achieving the grain deal between Ukraine and Russia.
I can't find the guy saying anything like that in Dutch/French.
According to the source I gave, the guy spoke directly to RIA Novosti, so it's the primary source. Why would you look for western biased sources? Whose side are you on?