Skip to main content
Topic: Conspiracy Theories (Read 9194 times)

Conspiracy Theories

The world is full of them. An example on the Kennedy assassination.
Regardless of what actually happened that day, research suggests that we might be psychologically predisposed to see conspiracies behind events like the Kennedy assassination. This is because of an unconscious mental rule of thumb called the proportionality bias. When the outcome of an event is significant, proportionally significant causes seem more plausible. When consequences are modest, more modest attributions are made. Psychologists have demonstrated the bias using a variety of experimental scenarios, from reports of disease outbreaks and tornadoes to plane crashes and crimes. The findings are consistent: we tend to infer big causes for extreme events and small causes for insignificant events.

That one by Rob Brotherton at
http://conspiracypsychology.com/

Obviously, I'm no expert on the subject, but find it interesting.

Are such theories common in other countries on subjects having nothing to do with the US?

Re: Conspiracy Theories

Reply #1
Where is everybody?

Have the Feds blocked the site to prevent the secrets from getting out?

Reply #3
I'll have to notify the Men in Black.

Reply #4
"Conspiracy Theories" designation was invented to discredit the people who denounces conspiracy practices.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #5
The first big conspiracy theory I ever got wind of was about the Kennedy assassination. Consider that it would take an expert marksman to place those bullets in Kennedy's head from the 6th floor of the book depository. It could be done, but the number of people who can do it won't exactly be standing-room only at Wrigley Field.
Problem: The conspiracies turn out to be even worse. Most are outright unworkable,require too many people to keep secrets, and require people who were actually there and saw what happened to say what they saw isn't what actually happened.

Truth, that's the problem with most conspiracy theories in general. They require us to believe that what we saw isn't what happened, then ask us to believe the most outrageous chain of events is what actually did happen-- even though there's no proof to back it.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #6
I tend to lean my ear to the JFK "conspiracy".
What pushed that strange guy to shoot Mr J? For the luls? Huh?
Then, I heard Kennedy moved something in global politics or the national one, or both, I'm not sure IRC, so that certain guys could certainly get upset. O'k, they didn't - but isn't it a possible motive?
Or do you think that everything in some national politics is overt? Everybody's applying to the Saints' Order? Everybody always tells the truth?
What?

Reply #7
By nature i am not normally into conspiracy theories. However there were some odd corners over the years  that cause concern. Such is life.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #8

"Conspiracy Theories" designation was invented to discredit the people who denounces conspiracy practices.
Right. Conspiracy practitioners have denounced the actually witnessed events as "conspiracy theory" so many times that I don't theorise on these matters any more. Let's meet the conspiracy practitioners half-way and disregard all conspiracy theories. Let's only look at the conspiracy facts.

Reply #9
i
It's not from any conspiracy -- it's from another kind of theory - it's math.
"i" designates the x-dimension unit-vector; in algebra, it is the placeholder for some shit which doesn't exist but makes great sense creating weird sets of numbers and quantities.  Which one did you mean?

Reply #10
Are UFO under the label of "conspiracy theories"?
A matter of attitude.

Reply #11

By nature i am not normally into conspiracy theories. However there were some odd corners over the years  that cause concern. Such is life.

I once heard a rumor conspiracy that the Orange Order and the Free Masons were in cahoots together.

Any truth to that, William Howie Wallace?   :knight:

Reply #12

I once heard a rumor conspiracy that the Orange Order and the Free Masons were in cahoots together.

Any truth to that, William Howie Wallace?   :knight:

Actually, both the OO and the KKK are pseudo-masonic orders :right:

Reply #13
Few people know that OO stands for "Order of Oranges".

Reply #14
Surely that would be OoO.

Reply #15
Re the oranges. Well done an ex-colonial working that one out himself. Well I never and just goes to show.

Reply #16

Re the oranges. Well done an ex-colonial working that one out himself. Well I never and just goes to show.

Prepare to have your mind blown, William Howie Wallace!

Brace yourself.........

Reply #17
Even if he wasn't (and likes to hid whilst not having the courage like others here) so what? My reason for that is he often acts like one.  ::)

Reply #18

Even if he wasn't (and likes to hid whilst not having the courage like others here) so what? My reason for that is he often acts like one.  ::)

Genius, I mentioned several times where I'm from. More than once in direct response to your babble.
Besides, you're an ex-colonial yourself. Just ask the angles, saxons, jutes, danes etc.

Reply #20

lol, So what? I'll tell you what; it means that you are wrong, and I of course like to rub it in your face when you are wrong!   :D

Reply #21

lol, So what? I'll tell you what; it means that you are wrong, and I of course like to rub it in your face when you are wrong!   :D

Your face-rubbing hand must be worn out.

Reply #22
Typical arrogance over there as usual. The simple answer to your conceit is you are wrong as what you are giving is your opinion as I do mine. That you are somehow more automatically in-depth is definitely conceit and I don;t mind reminding you of it!

Reply #23

Typical arrogance over there as usual. The simple answer to your conceit is you are wrong as what you are giving is your opinion as I do mine. That you are somehow more automatically in-depth is definitely conceit and I don;t mind reminding you of it!

Prove that I am wrong please.   :devil:

Reply #24
I have do so on Forums time after time but being corporate dumbed it is not sinking in very well. However I always rely on hope by the time you are 70 it will click. Once you get by the long history of global control useless political system the strings pulled by WallStreet and still into arms and killing it will maybe sink in. Would just love to see a State trying to seceed over ther because all hell would break loose.  No other place can beat you lot for the violence, control and corruption spread over the world. Try and form a Commonwealth out of all those you control and fund. You need only to use one hand.