Skip to main content
Topic: I Feel Old… (Read 25373 times)

Re: I Feel Old…

Reply #25
When was the last time you actually ended a phone call by hanging up?

Can't have been more than a few years ago. Or just a couple of hours ago, when I pushed this red button that said "hang up" on it.

Or 'hang it up.'
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHzgzN9H6QM[/video]

Reply #26

BTW, what do Global Moderators do

Ideally not a lot.

Moderately, of course.

Of course. This a self moderated forum, where moderators seems as the Queen of England.
Just decorative.

But it doesn't help Frenzie... he keeps feeling old. Moderately old, I suppose.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #27
I AM old.
:awww:

Reply #30
How many of us still refer to "dialling" a number?
It's a common term; it's used on many cellphones in their menu titles.

When was the last time you actually ended a phone call by hanging up?  :insane:
I used to use an old Motorola and purchased a leather casing for it to actually HANG it onto my jeans belt:)
And now, there are cell-phones in the form-factors like flip or slide, which can serve to remind you about actual "hanging-up";)

Reply #31
And now, there are cell-phones in the form-factors like flip or slide, which can serve to remind you about actual "hanging-up"

Now? My wife had to replace her clamshell and I had to replace my slider.

Reply #33
I, too, am old. I remember the big, black, heavy bakelite phones that we had hanging on the wall, rotary because back then that's all you could get. Touch-tone dialing and push-button phones came out about the time I was in 3rd grade.

Today I use a cell phone, it has limited functionality in today's world but the thing works. Phone etiquette has changed remarkably, people don't say "Good-bye" before "hanging up" anymore-- the line just goes dead and you're talking to nobody. I've had this happen even on professional calls-- the line is just dead because the other person clicked off and that was that.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #34
I don't recall my mother having a rotary phone, however, I remember my grandma had one that was not in use anymore. I'm showing my age, aren't I?  :doh:

Reply #37
Phone etiquette has changed remarkably, people don't say "Good-bye" before "hanging up" anymore-- the line just goes dead and you're talking to nobody. I've had this happen even on professional calls-- the line is just dead because the other person clicked off and that was that.
You might be not right on that...
There are two things that the old telephones lacked: battery charge and dependance on the radiosignal. So...

Reply #38
Phone etiquette has changed remarkably, people don't say "Good-bye" before "hanging up" anymore-- the line just goes dead and you're talking to nobody. I've had this happen even on professional calls-- the line is just dead because the other person clicked off and that was that.

Non educated people without excuse.
Here you have the opposite situation, you want to finish the call and have to keep on saying good bye, kisses, whatever, for half an hour...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #40

You might be not right on that...
There are two things that the old telephones lacked: battery charge and dependance on the radiosignal. So...

Err-- ahhh---- about that: The guy I was talking to was using a land-line, company phone when he called. It was an office line, I knew those numbers by heart. When he was done--- the line went dead and that was that. No accident caused by a flaky signal, no weak battery-- just poor phone manners.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #41
You can buy dial up phones. Usually on the net but a major national electrical chain is selling them for something around £56. Candlestick dial ups are also available and I had one. Always liked a dial phone and going to get one.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #42
The old days:

Reply #43

The old days:

I'm not too young to remember this. I loved Mario Bros.  Last time I play it, I think, I was 16. Had to blow into the cartridge a lot due to it freezing. Seemed to be effective even if it wasn't the right way to correct the problem.

Reply #44

The old days:

I'm not too young to remember this. I loved Mario Bros.  Last time I play it, I think, I was 16. Had to blow into the cartridge a lot due to it freezing. Seemed to be effective even if it wasn't the right way to correct the problem.

lol, Yep, it always solved the problem.

Another two oldies:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2bE6jzACFQ[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8qT4lk[/video]

Reply #45
Mind you old is not an illness but as said elsewhere a way of life. I am meeting another lady on Monday for lunch and she is picking me up in her car being so delighted at the prospective company - of course.

Reply #46
The Rolling Stones have cancelled their Australian tour.
A good move.
Old people should be heard and not seen.

Reply #47
Mind you old is not an illness but as said elsewhere a way of life. I am meeting another lady on Monday for lunch and she is picking me up in her car being so delighted at the prospective company - of course.

Reply #48
We old people tend to repeat ourselves

Reply #49
Yes we do. Yes we do. Yes we do.