Skip to main content
Topic: I Feel Old… (Read 25436 times)

I Feel Old…

…after watching this video.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkuirEweZvM[/video]

Admittedly, the phone I grew up with during the first 10-12 years of my life or so was already practically an antique when I was born.

Re: I Feel Old…

Reply #2
On that note, I just found my 20th anniversary edition of The Dark Side of the Moon.
I bought it 20 years ago :faint:

Reply #3
I feel old because I am old.  :D

I grew up in a house that had a rotary phone...that is, when my parents could finally afford one.

New technology is expensive. :up:

My first computer? A Tandy-Radio Shack trs-80.

I used the spreadsheet Visicalc to keep students' test scores and to compute their final grades.

Reply #5
I grew up in a house that had a rotary phone...that is, when my parents could finally afford one.
The phone was affordable, but my family was on a five years waiting list to get one.

Reply #6
A waiting list? Now you made me curious: I'll ask my parents what their home situation was like in the late '30s and early '50s.

Reply #7
grew up in a house that had a rotary phone...

Me too, though we were forbidden from using it as it was only to be used by my father for his job.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #8
This was in the 70s... The state phone monopoly was unable to keep up with the increased demand. Basically putting up telephone poles across country I presume, but maybe it was setting up switches or something ridiculous. About the same period they made the transition from manual to automated switching.

The company that was so ahead of the curve for mobile telephony was way behind the curve for land lines. Later they would dabble in most everything digital, and later Internet, even making a web browser they didn't know what to do with, and that was the start of Opera Software.

Reply #9

The phone was affordable, but my family was on a five years waiting list to get one.

:confused: I can't imagine that.  :confused:
=====================================
BTW, what do Global Moderators do? I suspect that they moderate globally. Maybe you could moderate something for me.

Reply #11
( I think he's talking about his :beer: habit )
:cheers:

Reply #12
( I think he's talking about his  :beer:  habit )
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #16
A waiting list? Now you made me curious: I'll ask my parents what their home situation was like in the late '30s and early '50s.

Okay, I asked. In the 1930s, my grandfather (dad's father) definitely had a home phone because he always had to be reachable for his job. In the 1950s, my mother's parents did not.

Reply #18
We had a rotary phone that hung on the wall in the kitchen with one of those ultra long cords that could reach thru the house. I can remember havin' To duck under several times as I made my way thru when my parents were on it. Then we had a portable phone toward the end of the 80's. A rather large staticy thing with what was just short of a tower for a antenna. Proper "instillation" of some aluminum to the antenna helped the limited range a bit, iirc.

I'll have to ask mom what she remembers having in the 50's. Judging by some of her stories of growing up in rural Kentucky I suspect she didn't have one until later.

Reply #20
How many of us still refer to "dialling" a number?
I do, for one,

Reply #21
Oh look!
I'm a "Full Member"!
'
'
'
'
Of what?

Reply #22

I do, for one,

Plenty I'd guess, even though many of the younger folks won't know why it's called 'dialling'.
I for one still think 'ATDTxxxxxxx' for dialling xxxxxxx and 'ATH0' for hangup. When was the last time you actually ended a phone call by hanging up? :insane:

Reply #23

Oh look!
I'm a "Full Member"!
'
Of what?

You need a higher security clearance to find out. That's a couple of levels up the ladder.

Stick around and eventually become Forum Staff or, better yet, Administrator! I should know, being a Hero Member as I am.

Reply #24

I do, for one,
In Dutch you bel (ring*) or choose a number. (The dial tone is called the choosing tone.) I suppose the word ringing is a bit outdated in that you've got no freaking clue what kind of noise the other person's phone may or may not make.

* I.e. ringing a bell is called belling.

When was the last time you actually ended a phone call by hanging up?

Can't have been more than a few years ago. Or just a couple of hours ago, when I pushed this red buttontouched this red area that said "hang up" on it.

When I first got this phone a couple of years ago, I kept accidentally pushing the home button to end my call—with the result that the call hid itself but remained active.