Skip to main content

Poll

Would you mind using some cloud storage?

I live there.
[ 0 ] (0%)
Why not - I could/can play with it:)
[ 2 ] (66.7%)
I'd like to share stuff with people.:)
[ 0 ] (0%)
I [would] use it for personal backup.
[ 0 ] (0%)
I don't think so. For now.
[ 1 ] (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Topic: File hosting and other stuff (Read 2866 times)

File hosting and other stuff

So, apart from photos, people sometimes need, or want to, or do use some "cloud services" or whatever it is to copy/store/back up something else than just pictures.
For one, I'd like to back up something, and also it'd not be bad at all to store online some stuff meant exactly for some kinds of sharing -- will it be images to embed, separately that I'd like to use some easy-picking smilies, etc.
I tried some such services recently, picked a couple - you could see me trying to test one of them. The other I've registered on immediately sent me an app to install -- later I tried to just log in there - it won't let me in without the app up and running:) I didn't try Dropbox, exactly because my intentions didn't involve having a non-encripted access to my storage straight here via my laptop:crazy: Maybe I'll consider using a Dropbox-like service later for some other purposes.

What do you have or want to? If any - are your storage places open for everyone or just you? Would you mind assessing the services you're using or have used?
(Questions about the poll? 1 vote, gradual scale. ???)

Re: File hosting and other stuff

Reply #1
ׂ

Reply #2
I don't mind using the cloud for images, handy to get to them if needed. But I still have them backed up locally.
Anything else though it's backed up onto external hard drives and/or pen drives. I'm not trusting my data to the cloud, the service could be here today, gone tomorrow for all I know. 
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #3
For emoticons, I'd like that they be embeddable, right? Means images stored there to be shown directly.
Also it's good to have a bunch upload -- select ten, twenty, more - and hit "up". Or by the entire folder. The British service I'm on seems to have that...

Reply #4
For emoticons, I'd like that they be embeddable, right? Means images stored there to be shown directly.

You can do that with dropbox, that's what I use it for.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #5
I understand, but I get it so that you can't share your 'folder' with other people, right?

Reply #6
I've not really used it but there's definitely an option there to share folders. How good it is for that I have no idea though and I doubt it will be something I ever use.