Skip to main content
Topic: The American 2016 Presidential Elections & The Ongoing American Saga (Read 346597 times)

Re: The American 2016 Presidential Elections & The Ongoing American Saga

Reply #1925
Trump says he'll honor the deal, but won't pursue such silliness himself.
That's the  news from a few days ago. Right now even the Australian government isn't sure that he will honor it. Why's it such a bad deal? One of the central American refugees could turn out to be attached to a drug cartel or something. There's nothing about the either set of refugees that makes one worse than the other, if you look at it objectively and not through the eyes of Islamaphobia. Besides, what says we would actually have to keep them? Out the refugees in a clean camp while they're vetted and deport the ones that are criminals.
I don't see Trump doing "even worse than feared," Sang... I see him doing what he said he'd do during the campaign.
Then open your eyes.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #1926
Dobbin, I won't wear your blinders… :)

You can read about the wonderful Obama administration deal here. Plenty of room for outrage, from every perspective…
But, of course, Trump is reprehensible! :)

(BTW: The article very carefully fails to mention that the sexual abuse was almost entirely among the "refugees"… Oops!)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #1927
It still fails to mention why those refugees are any worse than the Central American ones. But that's not even the issue. Why did he behave like a 5 year old to the Australian PM. If he didn't want the deal, there are intelligent ways to discuss it, not hanging up like spoiled child and bad mouthing the leader of a major US ally in the region. Get it? I don't know if it was a good deal or not, but it's Trump's childish behavior that's a problem.

BTW, if you get 1200 white Americans together would be surprising to find sex abusers among them too? Get real. Or did you want to make this thread about the refugees, lacking any good defense of Trump's moronic and impulsive behavior?
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”

Reply #1928
there are intelligent ways to discuss it, not hanging up like spoiled child and bad mouthing the leader of a major US ally in the region. Get it? I
I'm sorry, Sang, I'm not on permanent duty looking for Trump gaffes… What did he do?
进行 ...

Reply #1929
He was on the phone with the Australian PM, Malcolm Turnbull, discussing the deal. Then he got mad and hung up on the PM. He then proceeded rant about it was his worse call. After this he want on Twitter and ranted about "a dumb deal" , continuing his tradition of non sensible Twitter rants. He further ranted that Australia was trying to unload "thousands" of Boston bombers. 1250 is not thousands. This also implies that all Muslims are terrorists. I'm not a fan of Islam myself, but trying to call all the refugees terrorists is just stupid and can serve as propaganda to recruit more ISIS terrorists, by showing a prejuidical attitude toward Muslims.

There are far better ways to handle the situation. This is what one would expect out of a child (or maybe the behavior of the "President" of a banana republic.), instead of the President of the United States. In addition, Trump said he would study the deal, leaving open the possiblity that he would he would break it. This is part of way nobody really knows if he'll honor it or not.  Please understand the problem is Trump is not the R by his name, but how he acts like a complete buffoon on the world stage. If he continues like this, he won't win America more respect but the opposite. Anyway, that's the brief version. The complete story as well the ramification of his behavior is readily available via Google.

Again, though I'm not understanding how accepting the Central American refugees instead of the Muslim ones is any better; it seems the the odds of one them joining a gang and/or becoming a drug dealer (or whatever) is more than one of the Muslims being a terrorist. And again, just put the Muslim refugees in a camp and take the time to vet them and deport the ones that are likely to be/become criminals r terrorists. So what exactly is the problem that Trump needs to behave like petulant child?

Reply #1930
You don't see Obama's hand in this? :)
Apparently, the Australians don't want the Muslim refugees that came to their shore... But that great humanitarian Obama said, Sure, we'll take them! After my term ends.

So, now you're okay with refugee camps, Sang? And how do you figure we can vet them? X-rays? :)

I assume you weren't privy to the actual phone call... But you know more about it than the Aussie PM himself? (see here for a more accurate report -- or stick to the SNL version)
进行 ...

Reply #1931
This is your response? Seriously? You know, this is my fault for expecting you to more than a gaslit Trumppet (Trump Puppet) and thinking you'll read what I wrote for understanding. The DM is a more accurate account? Are you serious? It's a supermarket tabloid. So respected news outlets are wrong, but supermarket tabloids are right? I guess that makes sense in the era of "alternative facts."

Reply #1932
The Daily Mail interviewed the Australian PM… :) Your "respected news outlets" didn't.
进行 ...

Reply #1933
Alexander Hamilton said: "Its propriety having been drawn into question by the adversaries of that plan, is no light symptom of the rage for objection, which disorders their imaginations and judgments."
What was he talking about? Hm.
But, later, he says:
[…] it is not with a view to infractions of the Constitution only, that the independence of the judges may be an essential safeguard against the effects of occasional ill humors in the society. These sometimes extend no farther than to the injury of the private rights of particular classes of citizens, by unjust and partial laws. Here also the firmness of the judicial magistracy is of vast importance in mitigating the severity and confining the operation of such laws. It not only serves to moderate the immediate mischiefs of those which may have been passed, but it operates as a check upon the legislative body in passing them; who, perceiving that obstacles to the success of iniquitous intention are to be expected from the scruples of the courts, are in a manner compelled, by the very motives of the injustice they meditate, to qualify their attempts. This is a circumstance calculated to have more influence upon the character of our governments, than but few may be aware of. The benefits of the integrity and moderation of the judiciary have already been felt in more States than one; and though they may have displeased those whose sinister expectations they may have disappointed, they must have commanded the esteem and applause of all the virtuous and disinterested. Considerate men, of every description, ought to prize whatever will tend to beget or fortify that temper in the courts: as no man can be sure that he may not be to-morrow the victim of a spirit of injustice, by which he may be a gainer to-day. And every man must now feel, that the inevitable tendency of such a spirit is to sap the foundations of public and private confidence, and to introduce in its stead universal distrust and distress.
Gorsuch's nomination reflects this opposite spirit.
He's what a judge (in the American spirit) should be…
Both President Trump and nominee Gorsuch have been quoted recently.
Trump called a circuit court judge a "so-called" judge. Gorsuch said that recent remarks about courts and justices are… Well, Richard Blumenthal, a Connecticut Democrat who met privately with Gorsuch earlier this week, told CNN's Anderson Cooper Thursday that he encouraged him to publicly share his condemnation of Trump's recent verbal attacks on federal judges, which Blumenthal, quoting Gorsuch, said were "demoralizing" and "disheartening."

Might Gorsuch have meant that judges behaving as if they were legislators prompted some criticism? That their behavior was demoralizing and disheartening"?
BTW: When is Blumenthal up for re-election? :)

The controversy is Trump's EO about immigrants and visas… The "judge" in Seattle failed, in his opinion, to state either a rationale for the two states that sued to show standing or for irreparable harm ensuing. This is opposed to the black-letter law that gives the president the power to do what he did.
Trump seems to be smarter than the Progressives… (Or -should I say- the Progressives seem to be dumber than Trump? :) )
进行 ...

Reply #1934
Australians don't want the Muslim refugees
"Muslim Americans, in both raw terms and as a percentage of size of their total community, commit very small numbers of killings.

By contrast, roughly 11,000 Americans were killed in gun homicides in 2016 — yet Trump has never said anything about creating a registry of gun owners.

“It is flatly untrue that America is deeply threatened by violent extremism by Muslim-Americans,” David Schanzer, director of the Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland Security, said in a statement accompanying the study’s release. “Attacks by Muslims accounted for only one third of one percent of all murders in America last year.”"
http://www.vox.com/world/2017/1/27/14412420/terrorism-muslims-america-islam-trump

Reply #1936

Reply #1937
Some of you might enjoy this quick take by an observer of American politics, Mark Shields.
https://www.arcamax.com/politics/fromtheleft/markshields/s-1928097?ezine=317
"We are going to do a terrible thing to you. We are going to deprive you of an enemy." He was right. Without the concrete threat of the Soviet Union, U.S. national policy would indeed lose both its organizing principle and its national consensus.
Georgy Arbatov spoke too soon...