Skip to main content
Topic: Do we really need… (Read 4872 times)

Do we really need…

another topic about "snowflakes?
Trump has been legitimately elected, and some people are really pissed! (Of course, these are the same people who are always pissed…) But the meme that's getting the most play is this:
While on campus, we noticed something different about the Oldenburg Sculpture.
A safety pin has been added by art student Jeremy Jirsa.
"I thought it would be a good opportunity to use the safety pin as a representation to bring our city together," said Jirsa, Penn student.
(source)

How would "we" enforce "safe spaces"…
Hm.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Re: Do we really need…

Reply #1
And how can you hold your diaper up with just one safety pin? :) (Yes: Trolling! Liberals -excuse me: Progressives!- need provocation… Wait! What? No they don't!)
进行 ...

Reply #2
For all their would-be education Oakdale they sometimes turn out to be a bunch of something else.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #3
The term is "so-called," RJ, not "would-be"… :)
进行 ...

Reply #4
Often puzzling and smilingly curious about that 'diaper' you folk have. We would call it a nappy. Just to make the thread more intelligent!

Reply #5
Apparently, Scots children have to go to sleep to piss and crap… You've grown up, RJ! You do it while you're awake!
Should I call you precocious? :)

Thank goodness I've talked to other Scots… Your afflictions are not shared by many. Whew!
进行 ...

Reply #6
There is a historical precedent at least older Dutch and Norwegians will recognise.

During Nazi occupation, the Dutch wore secret safety pins to symbolize unity

Overwrought, certainly. Trump hasn't even appointed a Secretary of Death Camps yet. But as to make a point, pun hardly intended, fine. 

It seems the US follows the UK pattern with a spike in hate crime (it increased half again normal, but has since tapered off). White supremacists and Nazis have found Brexit and Trump as a validation of their worldwiew, as have the garden variety racists. Sure there are fake reports and overreporting, but there seems to be underreporting as well. 

It's a real phenomena, but hopefully transitional. Racism has also become more explicit, while e.g. antisemitism tended to use code now they explicitly speak about the Jewish scourge. That doesn't mean that there are more antisemites, just that they believe they will get away with it. (This is one reason why I stated you're definitely not alt-right, this is a significant strand of it.)

Reply #7
There is a historical precedent at least older Dutch and Norwegians will recognise.
No need to be old. There are many stories and legends about the war. For example:

Dutch: *obscure insult directed at German*
German: "Was?" (What in German, wax in Dutch)
Dutch: "Smeer it op je aars en glij ermee naar Engeland!" (Rub it on your ass and use it to glide to England)

Or everyone putting out all kinds of orange stuff, like queen's daffodils.

And yes, stuff like lapel pins and regular pins, mixing sand into the concrete for the Atlantikwall bunkers and fortifications, and so on and so forth. We're still drowning in this stuff. Heck, my favorite book this year was HHhH (in French) and that was published in 2009.

Reply #8
Kind of odd there Oakdale and a distraction from your country that is full of piss and keech indeed practicing it well in politics as always. Well maybe I am being too hitting but then the way you lot are brained maybe not.

Reply #9
You do know, RJ, that I'm talking about the "Europeanization" of our universities…? (Similarly, the alt-right is an import…)

Tell me, though: Why did you give up Jew-bashing? It really did surprise me…
进行 ...

Reply #10
the "Europeanization" of our universities...? (Similarly, the alt-right is an import...)
Of your universities? I know the reasonably well-founded gripe in Norwegian universities is that they have been Americanised. They are not academic anymore. Rather they are educational institutions optimised — not for profit like in the US, given that they are public, but — for maximum throughput. Get the most students their business-friendly education fastest with the least amount of fuss.

Research hasn't necessarily been outsourced, but the funding has, so researchers live from grant to grant. It's been a while since I have partaken in academic life, but as I remember it this academic freedom in —What did they call it again? ivory towers wasn't much to write about, mostly spent on petty personal, professional, power-political squabbles.

Brand American universities may have become Europanised, but then I would say in the sense of European luxury brands like Hermès, BMW, Fendi. You pay a premium for it for the exclusivity.

Alt+right is mostly a product of the Internet. Some of the ingredients have come from Europe, like the totalitarian ideologies, others are grown locally.

Reply #11
Hey, hyphen: -
Ndash: –
Mdash:  —

The post editor substitute dashes.

Reply #12
"I know the reasonably well-founded gripe in Norwegian universities is that they have been Americanised. They are not academic anymore. Rather they are educational institutions optimised -- not for profit like in the US, given that they are public, but -- for maximum throughput. Get the most students their business-friendly education fastest with the least amount of fuss."
I'm sure you don't make things up, so where did you get this information from, King Fortinbras of Norway.
=========
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2016/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank_label/sort_order/asc/cols/rank_only

Reply #13
Hey, hyphen: -
Ndash: –
Mdash:  —

The post editor substitute dashes.
They're intact in the DB. I fixed it in the next version but figured it wasn't bad enough to bother editing here. It also changes real ellipses (…) to three dots (..., but you won't see the difference unless you quote) as well as some shenanigans with quotes like ‘ (that's supposed to be a proper curly one).

Reply #14
(Of course, these are the same people who are always pissed..
You mean like the ones that were pissed for eight years with Obama....:left:
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #16
You mean like the ones that were pissed for eight years with Obama.... :left:
  • undefined

You mean Osama O'bama my Muslim-Irish president?
That sounds like the one who got repeated GOP cries for impeachment, despite having not committed crimes and had one teaparty rally against him after another. Now we get crybaby Republicans all upset because Dems are using their first amendment rights on Trump. Their are likely to be demonstrations against Trump his entire term, as there against Obama, so Oakdale might as well get used to feeling how Dems did for eight years.
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #17
First Amendment prattle. The Republicans didn't do it during Obama's term.

Reply #19
Now we get crybaby Republicans all upset because Dems are using their first amendment rights on Trump.
No. It's the breaking of shop windows, car windows, shutting down freeways and burning cars and beating people up… These are the things that bother me. None of these things are sanctioned by our 1st Amendment, Sang.
But I'll admit your traditions are different from mine. Have you secured your "safe space" for the coming four years? :)

BTW: Obama's "crimes" leading to impeachment -which as I've repeatedly reminded you is a political act- were "politcal crimes" — you know, what "living-constitutionalists" want instead of constitutionalists.
(That is one of the reasons I called you a fascist some time back… :) You're okay with almost any transgression committed by your side!)
进行 ...

Reply #20
You actually do have a constructive issue there OakdaleFTL and I am afraid that what midnight had been doing is showing what I said about the rather immature nonsense in cities across the country. May I also say again that those moaners didn't give a damn about that College Electoral thing but do now as they lost! Had the Democrats won the College thing that would have been it but all that those young Democrats did was show their immaturity and so-called liberalism as immaturity. They were brained by the propagating media attitudes and for all their youthful immaturity got brained both my the corporate media and by the big corporates who flocked to Clinton. Did the young street activists and damagers ever show the same spirit for the countless numbers of suffering Americans from lost factories and poor districts? Nope Liberalism only works for them on the democracy angle if they win. Cumfy backgrounds an propaganda absorbers.

So you hit the proverbial name on the head.

Reply #21
"Rather they are educational institutions optimised -- not for profit like in the US, given that they are public, but -- for maximum throughput. Get the most students their business-friendly education fastest with the least amount of fuss."
I'm sure you don't make things up, so where did you get this information from, King Fortinbras of Norway.

I never said anything about the quality of the brand universities, they are excellent not only for their education, but also for their network. I said that the US universities are optimising for profit (and the Norwegian ones for throughput). A case in point,

The Story Behind Jared Kushner’s Curious Acceptance into Harvard

My book exposed a grubby secret of American higher education: that the rich buy their under-achieving children’s way into elite universities with massive, tax-deductible donations. It reported that New Jersey real estate developer Charles Kushner had pledged $2.5 million to Harvard University in 1998, not long before his son Jared was admitted to the prestigious Ivy League school. At the time, Harvard accepted about one of every nine applicants. (Nowadays, it only takes one out of twenty.)

I also quoted administrators at Jared’s high school, who described him as a less than stellar student and expressed dismay at Harvard’s decision.

“There was no way anybody in the administrative office of the school thought he would on the merits get into Harvard,” a former official at The Frisch School in Paramus, New Jersey, told me. “His GPA did not warrant it, his SAT scores did not warrant it. We thought for sure, there was no way this was going to happen. Then, lo and behold, Jared was accepted. It was a little bit disappointing because there were at the time other kids we thought should really get in on the merits, and they did not.