Skip to main content
Topic: Genuine pat on the back for America! (Read 3943 times)

Genuine pat on the back for America!

I understand that after a 45 year old ban that the USA is now seriously looking at allowing haggis to be imported! :up:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: Genuine pat on the back for America!

Reply #1
Ouch.

I knew better. I fucking knew better!

Reply #2
I think I'll pass on that :yuck:
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #4
…it'll likely have to be deep-fried, to sell here…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #5
Wikipedia told me why it's banned:
In 1971 it became illegal to import haggis into the US from the UK due to a ban on food containing sheep lung, which constitutes 10 to 15% of the traditional recipe.[26] The situation was further complicated in 1989 when all UK beef and lamb was banned from importation to the US due to a BSE crisis.[26] In 2010 a spokeswoman for the US Department of Agriculture stated that they were reviewing the ban on beef and lamb products, but that the ban on food containing sheep lung would remain in force.[26]

As haggis cannot be exported to the United States, it is instead made there, sometimes by Scottish companies. One such uses what is stated to be the same 150-year-old recipe and ingredients as in Scotland, except that sheep lung is not used, and the casing is always artificial.[27]
[26] "US not ready to lift ban on Scottish haggis". BBC News. 2010-01-26. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8480795.stm

And some more detail (but I couldn't find an official document within half a minute or so, and I don't care that much :P)
Researchers found "stomach contents, lesions and bacteria" in lungs, says Amanda Eamich of the USDA's Food Safety Inspection Service. Since then, the USDA has considered them an adulterated food item.

The mad-cow disease outbreak in the United Kingdom in the 1980s put sheep stomach on the "out" list as well, because sheep get a form of mad cow called scrapie.

Reply #6
Dear, oh dear what limited use of language from ensbb3.

It is about time the ban was lifted.

Reply #7
Dear, oh dear what limited use of language from ensbb3.
What a coincidence. It's your poor sentence structure, horrid OP description and the outright lack of a backbone irony that prompted it.

I thought you weren't into haggis or skirts or other highlander stuff?

It is about time the ban was lifted.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #8
You are either playing the fool or just stupid. I have never acted like a softie on issues here hence the  moans from ex-colonist  controlled minds. Neither have I ever felt the need to use the expletives you give a goodly support of so don't sneer at my composition when you are not on strong ground.

And as for that sneering guff about kilts and stuff may I inform you limited brain that one of the first recipes for haggis came from down in England back in the 17th century. Being a direct person I will only make allowances for you until  you leave school...... :P

Reply #10
I inform you limited brain that one of the first recipes for haggis came from down in England back in the 17th century.

Wikipedia says circa 1430, but still in England
..it'll likely have to be deep-fried, to sell here...
With hot  sauce and cheese
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Reply #11
Well you have waited for ages so we will see.

Reply #12
With hot  sauce and cheese
Ya gotta love the southwest! :)
进行 ...

Reply #14
I understand that after a 45 year old ban that the USA is now seriously looking at allowing haggis to be imported! :up:
And would you believe that when I was in mid-Texas 4 months ago, I ran across both regular and Diet Irn Bru and Old Speckled Hen?
Bought the lot of the OSH and a few of the Brus.

Reply #15
Well what do you know Southern boy - (diet version) of if Irn Bru. Quite right to etg a supply and shut you eyes and muse ion Glasgow/Scotland. Improvement in the ex-colonies at last!  :yes:  :hat:

Reply #17
I'm smiling as I am not an eating fan of haggis. Many years ago I was the guest speaker at a Burns Dinner which always has haggis but I just ate the potatoes and "neeps" (turnips for the foreigners}.

Reply #18
I'm smiling as I am not an eating fan of haggis.
What other kind of fan could there be?
进行 ...

Reply #19
One to cool you and sober you up.....