Skip to main content
Topic: The Awesomesauce of Beer (Read 18076 times)

The Awesomesauce of Beer

:beer:  :cheers: :beer:  :cheers: :beer:  :cheers: :beer:  :cheers: :beer:  :cheers: :beer:  :cheers:  :cheers: :beer:  :cheers:
============================================================================
I don't care what the thread, whether it's serious or daft, about science, religion or carpets, somewhere along the road  :beer: or  :cheers: will pop up.

For the love of me, I don't get it. Do you?

Do you even drink beer? If the answer is 'yes', do you have any idea why?

Many years ago I drank the stuff for reasons that elude me. I probably drank it because it was a family tradition. I recall walking home from church one Sunday morning with my father who shepherded me into a bar for a beer or three..."Don't tell your mother!" :no:
1. Do you drink beer?
2. Do you think that beer is the Devil's elixir?
3. :beer: :cheers:

Re: The Awesomesauce of Beer

Reply #1
I don't believe in beer.

Reply #2
A Pint of Beer will steady the arm when throwing Darts.

But don't spill any on the carpet.

Reply #5
I mean: beer is not a religion to me. :)
I almost never drink beer. I prefer sweet tastes. So, sometimes I drink a "long neck" bottle of Malzbier - when the weather is really warm.
(Here everybody prefers icy beer.)

Reply #6

Truly wise advice hear. Heed it well @Josh.

I do indeed believe in and drink beer. Most of mine is imported though, most from the UK .
I do suffer through Miller Lite when the need arises for serious beer drinking or fishing.  :left:

And it is indeed a family tradition:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHjaW9sXl7s[/video]

Reply #7
(Here everybody prefers icy beer.)

You'd make a lousy Brit, Mr. B.

Reply #8

Truly wise advice hear. Heed it well @Josh.
I do indeed believe in and drink beer.

A man has to believe in something I suppose...but beer!?!

"I believe in God, heaven and hell, Allah and the dancing virgins of Swaziland...Oh, and beer!"

In case you missed the latest on Swaziland's dancing virgins, feast your eyes on this stunner!
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/africa/120904/80000-bare-breasted-virgins-dance-king-swaziland-video
We have a much larger population than Swaziland, and we don't even have 80,000 virgins. Hell, Mississippi has only 12.

Reply #10
That's why I don't want to eradicate cigarettes; why burning them? Better preserve them.

Reply #11
I do suffer through Miller Lite when the need arises for serious beer drinking or fishing.

Some beer-loving, home-brewing American relatives of mine gave me some Miller Lite to taste as a kind of joke. It's quite possibly the worst beer I've ever tasted.

(Also, I hear that Grolsch went down the drain since Miller bought it a couple of years ago.)

Reply #12
Bit doubtful about booze and dart aiming but anyway never touched or will touch the stuff. Glasgow is renowned for it's soft water so will get by with that an the occaional Irn Bru (diet version).  8)
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #13
I believe in vino veritas.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14

I do suffer through Miller Lite when the need arises for serious beer drinking or fishing.

Some beer-loving, home-brewing American relatives of mine gave me some Miller Lite to taste as a kind of joke. It's quite possibly the worst beer I've ever tasted.

(Also, I hear that Grolsch went down the drain since Miller bought it a couple of years ago.)

Clearly you've never tried American-brewed Budweiser?   :right:

Reply #15
Beer is generally an acquired taste for lots of people, not so much for me. I love some of the micro-brews downtown for flavor but it's an expensive taste that few other people I know enjoy. For bad go with Michelob. It was my dad's favorite, along with many old-timers. I've drank it on occasions and lIke all most lagers, after two or three... It tastes fine even if the first impression is a little off. Miller has a funny smell to me but I think beers are regional too. Bud light is common here definitely better as draft beer tho. I can't do darker ales, lighter ones are ok but I've slid some of thoss away too.

:cheers:

Reply #16
I won't get into the reasons that initially brought me to alcohol. The first beer I ever drank was a Miller Genuine Draft (MGD), common to Wisconsinites. I used to like Corona and a select few others. I went on a "beer hiatus" for a good while to experiment with liquor, which wasn't much considering I was under age. Same goes for beer. Nowadays, I stick with Bud light. And I drink now because it takes the awkward away from me temporarily.   :yes:

Reply #18
For all of you beer lovers.

Reply #19
Clearly you've never tried American-brewed Budweiser?

I've only ever tried Czech Budweiser. But when I say Miller Lite is probably the worst, I'm including such beers as Heineken, Euroshopper, Pit, the cheapest of the cheapest beer from Aldi, Lidl, etc.

Amstel Light isn't so great either (NB Amstel—regular Amstel—is the standard beer where I'm from), but compared to the flavor of that Miller Light stuff it's freaking genius.

Beer is generally an acquired taste for lots of people, not so much for me.

Pretty much all American beer I've tasted, besides Sam Adams* and home-brewn, certainly would be. :P

* Who apparently import their hops from Germany. I can't imagine that Americans are incapable of growing proper hops, but whatever.

Reply #20
Pretty much all American beer I've tasted, besides Sam Adams* and home-brewn, certainly would be. :P

:faint: Of course, and all American bread has sugar in it. :faint:

{I recall that you posted that nonsense some time ago.}

Unless you go to a bakery. Or to a supermarket that sells fresh bread.

Here you will find all you need to know about growing hops in the Great Lakes Region. Recent hop shortages, growing appeal with specialty beers, and the desire for organic and locally sourced agricultural products have resulted in increasing interest in local hop production by farmers, brewers, and backyard enthusiasts throughout Michigan. If you are new to hops production or just interested in learning about this novel crop, please visit the Getting Started page for information. Finally, the Hop Growers of America 2013 Statistical Report has been released 2013_Stat_Pack.pdf  Enjoy!

This stuff is available in a supermarket where we shop, and is not from the store's bakery.
Whole Grain Sugar Free Bread
How good can sugar-free bread taste? Just ask the thousands of consumers who have made Nature’s Own Sugar Free 100% Whole Grain Wheat one of our best sellers. It lets you enjoy all of the nutritional benefits of whole grain, and none of the sugar.
Nutritional Highlights
No artificial preservatives, colors or flavors
No high fructose corn syrup
100% whole grain
12 grams of whole grain per slice
Sugar free
Good source of fiber
0 grams of trans fat
Low fat
No cholesterol

Reply #21
There's a difference between "pretty much all [mainstream/affordable/easily available]" and "all". See e.g. http://ask.recipelabs.com/questions/3131/where-can-i-find-sugar-free-bread-in-the-us if you think there's something uniquely wrong with me or the Americans I know. Or news like http://www.bakeryandsnacks.com/Processing-Packaging/Sugar-free-bread-to-tap-US-health-trend

But no, American bakeries do the same thing. Although I think "Italian" might be a keyword for sugar/HFCS/regular corn syrup/molasses/honey/sweetener-free. Which is a bit odd, because (some) Italian hotels seem to think a breakfast croissant should be sugared and that orange "juice" is some kind of orange drink.

Finally, you seem to assume I think most food in Europe is fine. It isn't. Tons of it has too much sugar, too much salt, and too much fat. All of the beers I mentioned are pretty damned awful. I haven't got a clue how Heineken sells any of their own brand at all. Many varieties of bread contain "bread enhancers" and "flour enhancers" which often do the exact opposite (especially this one; it makes bread more chewing-gum-like).

Reply #22
There's a difference between "pretty much all [mainstream/affordable/easily available]" and "all".

And there's an even bigger difference between "pretty much all I've tasted" and "all". Silly me.

More about salt and sugar here: http://pondparleys.blogspot.be/2011/03/is-america-too-sweet-or-britain-too.html

Reply #23
Finally, you seem to assume I think most food in Europe is fine. It isn't. Tons of it has too much sugar, too much salt, and too much fat. All of the beers I mentioned are pretty damned awful. I haven't got a clue how Heineken sells any of their own brand at all.
More about salt and sugar here: http://pondparleys.blogspot.be/2011/03/is-america-too-sweet-or-britain-too.html

I don't assume that because I don't know you, and I don't assume that you're some sort of European rjhowie.  :D Additionally, that would make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'. :jester:
I took a quick look at pondparleys and it hurt my brain when I saw a line that included something like "it made me nauseous" when it should have said "nauseated". That's the curse of having been a thirty year English teacher. It's like hearing that Miley Cyrus is coming to town.

Reply #24
rjhowie isn't European? :P