Skip to main content
Topic: Have you noticed these 2 things? (Read 4646 times)

Have you noticed these 2 things?

(1) In tv discussions, people perhaps interviewed around a table and so on that they all need to hold a damn pen. Even though no paper is there it has now spread to so many. This never used to happen in such a wide way but it dashed well does now. Nervous lot.

(2)People are now extremely regular in using the words "as you know." Now this is also become a built-in regularity and it includes very famous and important people and politicians. Sometimes with seconds they will repeat the expressions. The other night a very famous person used that four times in just half a minute.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: Have you noticed these 2 things?

Reply #1
As I live and breathe, RJ Howie is criticizing others of "mangling" the English language, and "posing"… :)
they all need to hold a damn pen
But sometimes a cigar is just a cigar…
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #2
Leaving aside the John Barclaycorn nonsense both things are factual as we normal people know.

Reply #3
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNgLqz89Z8[/video]

Oh wow, too early for folk songs. Need coffee first.

Suggestive gesturing and placeholder statements are Sales Sociology 101. Both can be use to make people more open or closed off to ideas. As well as convey unspoken conclusions. (for example a pen in hand usually means, busy or industrious. Waggling it thru different gestures can project the dissemination of well earned information.)

It's worrisome how many 'normal people' miss all the symbolism news programs use to manipulate them. But, these obvious quirks are harmless in comparison. Considering we all use such things in conversation all the time.

Coffee time...

Reply #4
Not an answer.

It is tea time.

Reply #5
Still stating the obvious.

Just my response, sir. You can have it with whatever.

Reply #6
I suppose an insignificant miserable pen will represent the biggest ever phallic symbol for the Anglo Saxons.
As for the "as you know" I have no doubts that it's the perfect representation for the Anglo Saxon desperately need for recognition.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #7
It used to be just an odd tv person with the pen even though not needed or not used now they are all into copying like a bunch of morons. As for the comment i mentioned that is  a no-no.

Reply #8
If you used such a prop, RJ, none of us would be fooled… :)
进行 ...

Reply #9
 :hat:

Reply #10
Last night on television news a well known public figure used the "you know" rubbish 4 times in just under half a minute and that continued. Sometime people use it every few seconds repeatedly. Even politicians are sitting or standing with others holding a damn pen even if not being used. So much for confidence they have to hold on to something.

Reply #11
Did you know?

Reply #12
The simple answer jax is for all of us is "yes."

There is one not often sober chappy here that likes to moan about the misuse of language but has kept his mouth shut on this very wide infraction. I have been in chat with many a public figure, given conference talks and public speaking but have never got on the nonsense of 'you know' nonsense.  :whistle:

Reply #13
There is one not often sober chappy here that likes to moan about the misuse of language but has kept his mouth shut on this very wide infraction.
:) I assume you're talking about me?
The various quirks of "teen lingo" do bother me. Why so-called adults ape them — well, I'd say it has something to do with inadequate intelligence schooling self-esteem…
But nothing I could say would have any effect upon those who don't care to use language well.
进行 ...

Reply #14
Nice to know you have a concern dear man and you worked out who was meant. Wow!  :lol:

Reply #16
Routine answer from a snooty limited grey cell mode.

Reply #17
Routine answer from a snooty limited grey cell mode.
I believe these were the Scottish First Minister's exact words this morning when Mrs. May announced that March 2017 was Brexit Day.
Along with a mumbled "Get stuffed".

Strange how some Scots channel the same wave length, you know? :D

Reply #18
And I am very looking forward to people like wee smart face Sturgeon getting stuffed.We will now be going for thatrule 50 by march and brilliant the month before my birthday. Here we can have a referendum you poor mutts can't so put the grey uniform away with a long sigh poor laddie.  :D

Reply #19
Howie, as always, you evidence that you live in a world entirely of your own…
进行 ...

Reply #20
If I did you would be damn jealous.

Reply #21
Jealous? :) You do know that the expression refers to delusional thinking, right? No; of course not! English is not your first language… (One wonders what language was?)
进行 ...

Reply #22
Haha. Manage a Yank going on about English the way you lot change spelling and pronounce things.  Having a break from my railway simulator building and you made me laugh so back to my project. An ex-colonist about English...brilliant!   :lol:   :hat: