Skip to main content
Topic: Old cars… (Read 19529 times)

Re: Old cars…

Reply #50
Under the rubric of "unnoticed oppression" (published on National Review's Corner):
This is preferential parking spaces for cis-engined electric vehicles. As it happens, my Ford F-450 XL Extended Cab Diesel Super Duty self-identifies as an electric/bioethanol hybrid. This makes parking in university parking lots a very traumatic and hurtful experience for my pickup truck. Every time I’m on campus, circling past the most-conveniently-placed, perpetually empty parking spots, exclusively and ostentatiously reserved for cis-engined electric vehicles, my pickup is implicitly attacked and judged. These preferential parking spaces denigrate my pickup truck’s painful process of self-discovery, through which it came to see that its mechanically-given, assigned engine did not correspond to its authentic, inner engine. Until recently, this realization had been suppressed by our mechaniconormative, cisenginist culture that habitually and unselfconsciously imposes false, binary, and deterministic narratives upon vehicle propulsion. My pickup’s important witness problematizes the assumption that just because it was assigned the throaty growl of a 6.7L Power Stroke® V8 Turbo Diesel at manufacture, it can’t self-identify as a zero-emission battery pack. It deserves to be affirmed and celebrated, and protected from retrograde vehicular policies, so that it too can have a convenient and safe (parking) space. Tesla, check your privilege.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #51
Heh, cute parody, though strictly speaking the combustion engine is the cis engine, so the vocabulary should really be that of Combustion Right Activists, or some such. 

Even in Norway, which so far has come furthest in engine equality, only 1 in 3 newly purchased cars (by latest number), and only 3% of the fleet, are electric. Elsewhere the share is much lower:

Quote from: Wikipedia
The stock of plug-in electric cars represented 0.1% of the one billion cars on the world's roads by the end of 2015. When sales are broken down by type of powertrain, all-electric cars have oversold plug-in hybrids, with pure electrics capturing 58.9% of the global stock of 1.257 million plug-ins on the world's roads by the end of 2015.

As of August 2016, the United States is the largest country market with a stock of over 500,000 highway legal light-duty plug-in electric vehicles..., up from a stock of over 295,000 units in 2014, ... almost 30% of the global stock of light-duty plug-in electric vehicles. As of July 2016, China ranked second with over 462,000 units sold, up from more than 83,000 plug-in passenger cars sold through 2014, ... about 28% of the global stock of plug-ins.

As of July 2016, over 535,000 plug-in electric passenger cars and vans have been registered in Europe, making the continent the world's largest plug-in regional market. By the end of 2015, almost 25% of the European stock was on the roads in the Nordic countries... As of July 2016, sales in the European light-duty plug-in electric segment ... were led by Norway with over 112,700 units, Netherlands with over 95,500 units, and France with over 94,500 units.

Electric cars in Norway are heavily incentivised, technological/economic advances will make up for those in other markets.

That the US+Chinese+European stock now in 2016 is higher than the world stock in 2015 is indicative of the rapid growth.

Actually I had two. Range and cost.

Now keep in mind this article covers a full size "Light Duty" truck (150/1500 size.)

:sst: 7k lbs is light compared to the things I haul.  ;)

Actually heavy trucks are better suited for long range transport than lighter. The bigger the truck, the bigger the battery, much like mobile phones. The issue is cost, and electric isn't yet above break-even point (they are in Norway, but again the Norwegian drivers are incentivised). Then there are other options...

Reply #52
I revert to my extension cord comment… :) Until batteries become really efficient… Oops! Where does the electricity come from? :) Batteries aren't "born" charged…

In China, mostly coal. In the States, natural gas; hopefully -in the future- nuclear power. You'd know more about Russia and Europe… So, jax, what would be best?

How else would you justify the "parking prejudice" that's so evident here? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #53
what would be best?
Decreasing the amount of cars used by increasing the utility value of individual cars, regardless what their means of propulsion may be, and by promoting different modes of transportation.[1] I'd like to see more electric vehicles on top of that to decrease noise pollution in particular as well as to reduce the inner-city output of some fine particles (like from Volkswagen Diesels :P), but it wouldn't affect things like fine (rubber) particles from tire wear and the like. And as far as the planet is concerned, cars are peanuts. This all comes down to environment in the most audible and visible quality of life sense.

Reply #54
Took me a couple tries to get the sound just the way I wanted it. I love the sound of old muscle cars with properly tuned duel exhaust systems.
Nothing to be compared to a four-to-one exhaust Yoshimura I fitted in my Suzuki 600 Katana. Impressive but after a 400km highway trip at 200-230 km/h screaming as hell it gets really annoying.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #55
That truck had a low rumble that was the same way. Tended to give me a headache on longer trips.

Personally never been a motorcycle man. I do Like the sound of some crotch-rockets with the right exhaust pack. And I can appreciate the American Harley's with their deeper sound too.

Reply #57
Or the old favourite: In which countries are the motorway signs blue and in which are they green? (This map has max speed added, where applicable)

Reply #58
112?? what an irritating speed. It had to be the English.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #59
Or the old favourite: In which countries are the motorway signs blue and in which are they green? (This map has max speed added, where applicable)
Old indeed. The Netherlands has been 130 for a while now. :P Although on the rare occasion that I'm driving in the Netherlands I seldom come across any appreciable stretch of expressway that isn't 100 or 120, but by the same measure Germany certainly shouldn't be listed as limitless.

Reply #60
by the same measure Germany certainly shouldn't be listed as limitless.
To be more accurate, 65% out of 25.650 km freeway are without any speed limit (Richtgeschwindigkeit = recommended speed).

Speaking of traffic signs :)

Reply #61
I can't think of a counterpart we have for this. My best guess is that it's for single lane roads with opposing traffic?

Naturally I'd familiarize myself with signage, but if you just dropped me in the middle of some of those countries I'd misread several for sure...

... [For example:] These apparently mean the same thing, depending on where you are it's one or the other anyway. But I'd read one as "lookout for tractors" and the other as "no tractors". (respectively) Anything surrounded in red I'd take as "Caution", "Yield" or maybe a little closer "Limited". Like a loading zone or parking zone and those usually come with an explanation. Crossed out is "none of these".

But I'm used to this. Yellow means advisory, and the sign reads "Tractor Crossing" - You're supposed to yield to them.

Interesting to say the least. Not saying anything is wrong, just different. Colors are a meh thing. They can vary State to State as far as what's blue, brown or green. Yellow is always advisory and orange is always construction as far as I know.
(neon green is starting to be used in school zones, here anyway)

This is the one that would get me in trouble. Our's just say "Road Closed". I'd of took it as a foreign caution/warning sign.  :worried:  Partly because shapes of other signs are different too.

Reply #62

Holy crap.

No parking sign there in the back, got that one.
Road is closed between 15-01 hours?
Road is closed to anything more than 3.5t?
But also no motor vehicles or motorbikes? (redundantly)

I'm not sure those guys are clear on the meaning by their look... But they'd quickly stop me for doing it wrong.

Reply #63
To be more accurate, 65% out of 25.650 km freeway are without any speed limit (Richtgeschwindigkeit = recommended speed).
Ah, I thought it was closer to the 45% (at 130) of the Netherlands. My bad.

I can't think of a counterpart we have for this. My best guess is that it's for single lane roads with opposing traffic?
Yes, it's about who gets to go first.

But I'd read one as "lookout for tractors" and the other as "no tractors". (respectively)
A red circle always means something is forbidden. Triangles are for caution.

No parking sign there in the back, got that one.
Road is closed between 15-01 hours?
Road is closed to anything more than 3.5t?
But also no motor vehicles or motorbikes? (redundantly)
Sounds about right. I wonder if we even have special trident sign holders around here… :P

Reply #64
I don't waste my time looking for traffic signals and I consider semaphores to be just mere indications.
Me and all other southern Europeans. Course that you need to play the cat and the rat with the police but that's what for the police exists.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #65
Yes, it's about who gets to go first.
Bloop.
I'm sure it'd make more sense to see it. Wouldn't hurt to have it on a few country backroads, actually. Country Rulez still apply well enough. Someone yields - we wave, and go on.
Sounds about right. I wonder if we even have special trident sign holders around here...  :P
Yeah, the one thing you don't do is drive down that road.

But the joke in the "dropped in" scenario is I'd of assumed those signs made sense and that a road was for driving on and proceeded.
Reads like; 3.5t weight limit, Watch out for motorcycles, Bikes can split lanes around cars (I've heard that's a thing). Caution between 15-01h (slow down and be alert, lax intersections.) 

Reply #66
Bloop.
I'm sure it'd make more sense to see it. Wouldn't hurt to have it on a few country backroads, actually. Country Rulez still apply well enough. Someone yields - we wave, and go on.
That one's more for what I think you'd call highways. On a highway you have priority, indicated by this sign:

Then on side roads you'll have the upside-down triangle, typically also painted on the street itself for clarity, where they're called shark teeth in popular speech (at least in Dutch).

The normal rule without signs is that right goes first. Unlike in America where every street corner seems to have all these stop signs. :P

Reply #67
A red circle always means something is forbidden.
Here, it means something is regulated. Forbidden if crossed out. (Yeah... "regulated" means something else is forbidden anyway...)

Reply #68
Do you have an example? :)

Reply #69
In which countries are the motorway signs blue and in which are they green?

Annoyingly I have found no world map, as this green vs blue is global (maybe the inspiration for Ingress, or vice versa). Supposedly motorway signs are blue in Brazil and green in the USA and China (but blue in Hong Kong), and so on. There's a long thread on SkyscraperCity, the best, and truly global, proposal may be this

Or you could solve this problem by averaging all colors:

(average of eight most used green and blue sign colors)

One world, one dream, one motorway sign.

Reply #72
I don't recall if they even have that sign?
Nope. Interstate or hwy signs always just say which number is coming up. The shield means interstate (freeway).

That one's more for what I think you'd call highways. On a highway you have priority, indicated by this sign:
Just a blank advisory sign. Rarer but usually used to draw attention to something another sign warned you about.

The normal rule without signs is that right goes first. Unlike in America where every street corner seems to have all these stop signs.
I'm not sure standard road rules don't cover that... But it's painful how many people don't know them.

For example at a 2 way stop (crossing street) left turn yields to straight across traffic. With some consideration to who got there first on turns.

Reply #73
Both are regulating, but only the first one is forbidding.
Although almost always both are forbidding the same thing.  :)
Sure, we have that sign over here, although when you think about it it's kind of an outlier. I suppose it's a matter of how you look at it. A number in a red circle means you're forbidden from going faster than that, but you could also say it's regulated. In any case, your second sign looks like this over here:

Then there's also this:

It's not forbidden for customs, but rather forbidden to pass by without going through customs.

According to Wikipedia, in the Netherlands we only do the blue signs and the no u-turn sign is actually logical (i.e., no weird red line that doesn't occur on any other forbidden signs other than turns and no parking):

Reply #74
The signs pointing out the direction to Madison, Chicago, Detroit, etc. are green, of course.
Are they? In my experience, there simply are no signs to Madison, Chicago, Detroit, etc. There are only signs pointing at other highway numbers. You have to figure out the cities by buying a map. This is so even very close to cities, such as in St Augustine, FL, where I walked from the Greyhound bus stop to the city. Long walk from formally outside the city limits, no signs on the way, just a sign on the city limits.

Whereas in Europe, if you are not a truck driver, you can ignore the highway numbers and follow the signs that point directions to cities by their names - because we actually have such signs all over the country. The country border everywhere has signs directing certainly to the capital, but usually to every other major city too.